Jarred Vanderbilt Discussion: The Vandalorian

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by karacha, Feb 8, 2023.

1. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

our guys kept going under screens on murry but sure Vando would've shut murry down

Panko likes this.
  2. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers All Star -

Pretty much held him in check when he had him. I'm still waiting for someone to specifically point out otherwise.

lakerjones likes this.
  3. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

still disagree. he can work on some things offensively, see bruce brown for an example. we have no route to the kind of wing that would constitute an obvious upgrade, imo.

i'd rather let ham and handy work with vando.

4. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 - Lakers All Star -

When Vando is in the corner: watch his defender he sags with one foot into the paint and the other defender guarding the Laker closet to him does not rotate either.
    So basically the court is shifted where the defense no longer has to worry about one side.

You can beat this as a non shooter by the non shooter setting the screens ala GP2 or Bruce Brown but he doesn't cut fast enough to beat the defense and can't finish over the top like an Aaron Gordon off the lob (defense will go under and they will let Vando get teh ball)

it's a mess

Panko likes this.
  5. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

doesn't cut fast enough is a coaching issue, imo. it's not like he isn't a great athlete. same with lobs. he can go get it; i haven't seen an unsuccessful lob for him that i recall.

last night, he made a nice dive from the weakside, someone found him, but he on the right and couldn't/wouldn't put the ball in his right hand, so a smaller player blocked his shot. that was unfortunate. but again, that's a thing that can change with practice. his combination of size, athleticism, and motor cannot.

LTLakerFan, Cookie and Panko like this.
  6. Slick2021

No..you seem to be determined for some reason, to point out occasional stuff like that for this guy. However again I ask...what game was you watching? You conveniently sidestepped the fact that Vanderbilt did a great job of defending Murray. As a matter of fact, when he last left the court early in the 4th, we had the lead, and Jamal had been largely held in check. Then Murray proceeded to cook Dennis, Lebron, and D'Angelo , and took over the game. How in the hell did you somehow miss that? Defense is important too, it's why we controlled the game until the 4th in the first place. Jarred Vanderbilt is not playing because of his offensive game. He's not in the League because of his offensive game either. The kid wasn't even on the court when the Nuggets took over, who was at fault for that?

7. Pioneer10

I seem determined? Coach Ham certainly sees the same things as you were saying Vando was not a problems because the exact same things that has been pointed out in GS series.

Yes he's a good defender but it comes at a huge cost on the offensive side. Despite Murray cooking, the nuggets were still held 7 points below their regular offensive rating but the lakers were 14 points below their offensive rating!.

Vando +/- again as usual in the negative.

Panko likes this.
  8. Pioneer10

Has he caught a lob this entire post-season? Honest question
    A lot of theory on what he can do but a lot of it fails for more than one reason with him.

I like him but right now I seem him more more as a regular season standout similar to D.Lo.
    These guys have value as you need to eat a lot of minutes of regular season play but he's going to have to make significant improvement on offense and I don't think it's the coaching frankly. Even when does make a good cut for example, he has bad hands and fumbles the ball a lot.

Panko likes this.
  9. Slick2021

The object is to win the game, not to point to some meaningless Plus-minus stat, that depends on who you are playing with too doesn't it?

Ham f***ed up..taking Vanderbilt off of Murray last night, it is what it is. You still didn't offer any explanation for that performance of the other guys on the floor in the 4th quarter. Vanderbilt wasn't in the game, what happened?

lakerjones likes this.
  10. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

don't recall a single one being thrown? it would be like saying i can't spend a billion dollars because i haven't?

we need regular season players, too. if we had more, we probably wouldn't be on the road for every round of they playoffs, which matters.

he finished a lot of cuts in the regular season. i think a lot of it is that you play against better defenses that don't give those up in the playoffs. it's not about bad hands or whatever. it's about those opportunities not existing.

his defense has definitely helped us win postseason games, though.

maybe you'll get your wish, but we'll be back to being a team that can lose to anyone who can iso a big wing on us. i want to throw up when i think about how often the marcus morrises of the league buried us the past few years. ick.

Cookie and Panko like this.
  11. Pioneer10

I'm more in the line he's just not a much of a lob threat to begin with - sort of like how Jeff Bezos used a 300k loan from his parents to start Amazon.

Like I said I'm fine with having regular season player who eat minutes but playoffs are a completely different beast. Yes we don't win Game 1 in GS w/o him but he was schemed out impressively quickly in that series after having difficulty with similar issues against Memphis.

I think Max will take a big leap next year and take a lot of the Brown/Beasley/Walker minutes but I'm in agreement the Lakers need one more in between player between Christi and Rui in terms of size. I like Vando and hope he's the one - he's just going to put in a lot of work though as I understand why teams have given up on him despite the obvious positive he brings in more clearly getting to watch him on a regular basis

abeer3 and Panko like this.
  12. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

DLO, AD, Schroder, Walker and LeBron had nothing to do with that -14 offensive rating for the Lakers? The only capable offensive players NOT missing a ton of shots were Rui and Austin.

abeer3 likes this.
  13. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i really don't see why not. he's 6'9" and can get off the floor. maybe we should try it more often. a lot easier to throw lobs to guys that aren't being defended, too.

LTLakerFan, Kenzo and Cookie like this.
  14. Pioneer10

So I'm absolutely sticking to my guns is that he just kills the offense against playoff caliber defenses.

They tried a lob for him, they tried him being a screener, they tried him in the corner. Just a disaster

Helljumper and Khmrp like this.
  15. NickthaQuick

NickthaQuick - Lakers 6th Man -

He definitely needs to work on a bunch of things offensively this offseason.

Cookie and LTLakerFan like this.
  16. 4dm68

4dm68 - Rookie -

Make it simple for him. Stand in the corner and practice his 3pts.

17. NickthaQuick

NickthaQuick - Lakers 6th Man -

If he can be in PJ Tucker at those corner threes..

unfortunately right now he’s been unplayable for 2 straight series. He’s a situational defensive player at best in the playoffs.

Pioneer10 likes this.
  18. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

I think he will benefit from working with the staff and having a full camp.

Cookie, sirronstuff, pika1708 and 2 others like this.
  19. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

He’s young, a great wing defender and has plenty of upside with our skills coaches if he wants to work hard, which of course one might assume. Early on he had some games where he hit multiple or back to back 3s from the corner. But knowing you’re like the 5th option on offense has got to be a factor playing on your mind every time you shoot, wanting playing time and not wanting to hurt the team. The pressure of course ramps up in the playoffs.

Cookie likes this.
  20. fabfourlakers

fabfourlakers - Lakers Starter -

Needs to work on that 3pt shot otherwise he's just a bench wing that can help on defense here and there and he's pretty much unplayable in the playoffs.

I still like his potential but he must know how important it is for him to improve as a 3pt shooter this summer otherwise Rui will be starting over him next year

LTLakerFan likes this.