Jarred Vanderbilt Discussion: The Vandalorian

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by karacha, Feb 8, 2023.

1. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers All Star -

He doesn't hit those shots tho, and that's all he can bring to the table. That's why Malik isn't playing...percived gravity is overrated.

2. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 - Lakers All Star -

no it's not:

Since Vando can't finish off cuts as has been pointed out, lakers are stuck with him at the 3 point line It's mucking up the whole offense
    Ham has been forced to cut his minutes down because of this - they are bleeding points due to the offense putting up bad shots when he is in there which then helps GS on offense (defense can't set after a made shot leading to a lot of transition).

This shouldn't be a surprise as Vando was benched in Utah for the same reason.

Malik isn't playing because he can't defend, can't finish in transition and is in general a bad basketball player: teams will still give him a chance though because of the threat of his shot. Look at Klay he's been awful shooting the ball (make or miss league right) but there is no way the Lakers will sag off him.

abeer3, Panko and Weezy like this.
  3. Slick2021

Malik ain't Klay and I'm still unimpressed with this Vanderbilt stuff, when the kid has played 21 minutes in the last two games. He's not getting a lot of shot attempts period. So to somehow claim that he can't finish off of cuts is overstated too. I still fail to see how Jarred Vanderbilt, is some kind of big factor in the 2 games we lost. There are a lot of other things to point to besides him.

4. Pioneer10

He's hasn't had a single positive shift since they started GP2

Game 5
    upload_2023-5-12_16-19-42.png

Game 4
    upload_2023-5-12_16-20-22.png

Panko and Weezy like this.
  5. Slick2021

He's played 21 minutes in the last two games. Won one , lost one. This take continues to be ridiculous.

6. NickthaQuick

NickthaQuick - Lakers 6th Man -

It's what it does to everyone else. His man just sits in the paint and plays as a free safety to load up on other players. After a film session it appears the coaching staff has taken notice too.

Panko, abeer3 and Pioneer10 like this.
  7. Pioneer10

Ridiculous is not seeing the reason he's only played 21 minutes is that he's been bad for the team when he's been there.

Panko, JSM and alam1108 like this.
  8. Slick2021

So Lebron was a -16, AD -22, Reaves -21 in game 5. Yet you have decided that Vanderbilt is the problem in 11 minutes? I'm still calling that some nonsense.

9. Slick2021

No..his man may have sat in the paint on 1 possession or something, That is absolutely not happening on every trip down the floor in the 11 minutes he's played in the last two games period. I don't think his offense has anything to do with it. It's how we plan to defend Steph that dictates how much he plays IMO.

10. Pioneer10

I shouldn't stop smoking because I also have high cholesterol? What kind of logic is this?

11. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

i might be vando's biggest fan on the forum, and even i think we might have to bench him, just for this series.

but i also get the coaching staff's reticence here. i feel like his play had a caruso-like impact on other guys when he showed up. we became a team that cared about defending. and that matters. you have to handle this carefully. you just hope your culture is like our opponents'--looney took his benching gracefully, and his team didn't lose their identity because of it.

i'm good with giving rui or lonnie or schroder a shot with the starters against gs.

if we make the next round, i'd put him back as a starter against denver due to their huge 3/4 guys.

12. fabfourlakers

fabfourlakers - Lakers Starter -

Yeah I have to say I'm a huge Vando guy as well and I also wouldn't mind if we started Rui or Lonnie or Schroder in place of him.

But as abeer said...ONLY for this series.

But...I also feel like Vando hasn't really been the problem...so Idk I'm conflicted.

13. Pioneer10

:Noddingyes:

I love Vando despite my criticism - he should have an easier time staying on the court next series (and he definitely should get credit for game 1 - Kerr completely changed his offensive gamplan to get Vando and AD out of the defensive spots)

14. Toklat

Toklat - Lakers 6th Man -

The next two series he will get plenty of burn. The thing that makes our team so hard to match up with is we can go so many ways and not miss a beat.

15. svtzr

svtzr - Lakers Starter -

Vando and Rui are going to be critical against Denver. GSW goes ultra small and both were a little forgotten because of that. Although imo, Vando won us game 1 with his effort on Steph and that laid the whole thing on a plate for us. So from that perspective, he was huge.

16. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Yeah Vando was great early in the series but once GSW started going small we needed our guards more. We're going to need him next round though, Denver has a huge front court. Stick him on MPJ.

17. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

Vanderbilt (along with Hachimura) will get time in our next series. The former can be used against Murray while the latter can be used against Jokic with Gabriel(?) to preserve Davis.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  18. Pioneer10

I like him on Murray: more size on Murray/jokic PnR. Murry like to post and has a little bully ball to his game - Vando can mess that up

19. Zoyd Wheeler

Zoyd Wheeler - Rookie -

It was a calculated gamble by Kerr to leave Vando open in the corner for 3s. It worked. He continuously bricked 'em. Draymond will often pass up the 3 when there is no one within 15 feet of him. Most teams have a guy you love on D but who can't hit the 3. You make that guy beat you.

Which is why, if there's anything that would make other teams panic next year: Vando hits that corner 3 at 39%-42%. It would be devastating. But it would probably require him taking 100,000 3s in the off season. You can't stop for dinner until you make 5 straight, Vando!

Love love LOVE Vando's D. His offense can be a liability, depending on the situation and opponent Good thing we're so deep now.

Thanks, Pelinka!

Cookie, JohnnyComeLately2k6 and Panko like this.
  20. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

Yes. Vando will be much more important vs Denver. DLo has no chance guarding Murray. Lonnie has improved a bit, but would get cooked, if his assignment was to bother Jamaal. I think it will be a combo of Reaves and Vando trying to disrupt Mr. Murray. I also like the idea of using AD some of the time at the four, so he doesn’t get worn out by the Joker.

Cookie, JohnnyComeLately2k6 and Panko like this.