Jared Dudley Discussion: Mavs Assistant Coach

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by therealdeal, Jul 2, 2019.

1. KB24

KB24 Administrator Staff Member

Certified Tax Advisor
    Beverly looks like a mental midget...it should be fairly easy to get into his head and force him into dumb mistakes.

Even LaVar Ball had gotten deep into his head and he is literally irrelevant.

2. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Click the tweet for interview summary. There's 8 solid quotes in there.

3. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

That's just too good not to unauthorized simply steal it and post here. :giggle: :D

1. 10h10 hours ago
      On if he’s surprised at their early success: “I’m surprised. ... I don’t think our record would be this good this early. I thought we would be more of a second half team.”

1 reply3 retweets66 likes

2. [​IMG] 10h10 hours ago
      On the difference between this team and the others he’s been on: “Different in the sense that our best players is our best leaders. That’s not always the case.” Dudley specified that both LeBron James and Anthony Davis not only lead on the floor but off of it as well.

1 reply3 retweets71 likes

3. [​IMG] 10h10 hours ago
      On the team’s chemistry: “For one, it’s so much fun. I can’t even lie to you. I’m having the time of my life ... you can’t teach chemistry. You can’t teach that. That’s something you have or you don’t have. The guys get along.”

1 reply6 retweets92 likes

4. [​IMG] 10h10 hours ago
      (cont) Jared expounded that head coach Frank Vogel “does a phonemanal job of when to push and when to back off ...” and “that’s why I think you got to give [Rob] Pelinka credit putting these right people.

1 reply4 retweets73 likes

5. [​IMG] 10h10 hours ago
      (cont) Guys that know who they are as a person and as a player, so when you’re on the floor, there’s no identity crisis. And that’s one thing that we have, we have an identity.”

1 reply3 retweets59 likes

6. [​IMG] 10h10 hours ago
      On the advice he’s given Kyle Kuzma: “... first thing I say to him, don’t worry about how many points you average ... that’s where you think your success is. ... don’t worry about your points per game. ... let’s worry about your identity on this team. Yes, we need you to score.

2 replies11 retweets90 likes

7. [​IMG] 10h10 hours ago
      (cont) We also need to you to shoot the right type of shots. Because you’re not playing on a bad young team anymore ... we need your defense to improve ... positioning basketball ... stop trying to go for blocks. Stop reaching. ... Keep in front. Use your length. ...”

4. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    Some people thought Dudley was a waste of roster space when we signed him. Turns out, he is low key super valuable. That locker room advice to Kuz is worth his salary. LeBron calling him one of his best ever teammates is worth his salary. Him not complaining ever, and being always ready to come in and play D and take the open 3 is worth his salary.

5. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 - Lakers All Star -

What's funny is his role is oddly similar to what RJ's as on Lebrons' Cavs

6. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
  7. LTLakerFan

Highest I've ever seen him jump. :giggle:

8. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    High IQ matters. Great to have guys like this in Kuzma’s ears

alam1108, abeer3, Cookie and 3 others like this.
  9. BangBoomPow

BangBoomPow - Lakers Starter -

But I was told by the great Nostradamus, Valade16, that Carmelo would have been a much better use of the roster spot and the Blazers are playing at the same winrate they did BEFORE Melo came to now when Melo has been on the team... Not only does Jared Dudley understand his role, he understands how to help others understand their role as well. What would Melo's role on the team be? He would have probably told Kuzma to pass him the ball and get out of his way instead of helping Kuzma progress. Dudley is shooting 48% from three and does everything the team needs him to. No AD? Okay, Dudley will play center or power forward. They need Dudley to defend guards? He can do that too. Never complains. As LeBron said, "One of the best teammates he's ever had." When has anyone said that about Melo? Haha

abeer3, JSM, sirronstuff and 2 others like this.
  10. LTLakerFan

Right. A last minute scramble, poorly chosen for contingency plan bottom of the barrel signing who was washed. And then that bringing it up in every mention possible.

11. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

I thought Elmer Fudd/Dudz was a waste of a signing, no locker room value, can’t play on the court. At least that’s what I was told 1,000 times by that one guy. Portland can have Melo and his inefficient scoring and keep on losing, 4-6 in their last 10. Besides, we have a younger version of this Melo, his name is Kyle Kuzma.

alam1108, abeer3, karacha and 6 others like this.
  12. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    You guys have the memory of elephants

:Laugh:

Guess wrong ONE time, and you never let a fella live it down. You’d think someone suggested Dragan Bender instead or something.

:Crazyartest:

13. Weezy

It doesn’t require the memory of an elephant to remember something that was said like once a day since July. :D

Just read this, and I agree with the Pelinka adding the right people. Maybe he meant the coaching staff, but I think he meant on the court too. We gave a great mix of vets and young players, players that have been there and done that and mature guys to help the more inexperienced ones. Aside from the PG position it’s an extremely well balanced and put together roster, defensively especially. I was just thinking the other day how even end of bench guys like Cook and Daniels can come in and put up numbers, how our guards have become reliable in their own ways, Bradley on D, KCP on O, how we have 2 bigs in McGee and Howard that when one comes in there’s no drop off, we lose nothing defensively or with effort, it’s an underrated and dangerous combo when they’re on. And of course there are less stat sheet players like Caruso that have proven to be super valuable, a guy like Green who is having a down year, but you still feel like will hit big shots when needed and pay off come playoff, still makes his impact on defense and playing smart overall. Oh and Rondo is there too, 6 fouls, can dribble, uh, yeah.

alam1108, abeer3, Barnstable and 3 others like this.
  14. svtzr

svtzr - Lakers Starter -

Kuzma is not a younger version of Melo. Melo was a franchise player and one of the best scorers in the league in his day.

15. Weezy

I said we have a younger version of THIS Melo. 35 year old Melo that basically does one thing, score. Kuz is that in a 10 years younger body, he has the ability to at least play more minutes per game if necessary and the potential to still play decent defense, where Melo was never a defender. I am not comparing Kuz to prime Melo or saying their careers to this point are even remotely similar, that would be nonsense. Kuz is inconsistent, can often be inefficient, and often only does one or two things out there, but at LEAST he accepts his bench role and brings no drama to the team because he’s young and if he did he’d be shipped out so fast it wouldn’t be funny. Same can’t be said for Melo who has never accepted a bench role anywhere and we still have yet to see how he responds if things get tough where he’s at. So, I stand by what I said, we have the equivalent of current Melo in Kuz, signing him was not necessary and I’m very glad he’s not on this roster, he’s a very me-first player, but good for him finding the personal success of scoring a lot in Portland while they lose a lot.

16. LTLakerFan

I got curious. I went looking. I found one clip I wanted. Yeah ... he actually is "Likes to fight Guy" and an enforcer. There were some here that mocked that term. I'm just over half way through it. Look for the running head butt following a cheap shot to one of his teammates.

:ShaqOh2:

:FistPump:

:More:

alam1108 and sirronstuff like this.
  17. svtzr

svtzr - Lakers Starter -

Totally get you! I agree.

abeer3 likes this.
  18. LTLakerFan

BUMP!! He was great tonight. Really enjoy him in games. Still fairly “quick” on defense. Those 3s and that buzzer beater itself was nuts. Happy for him.

Cookie, JSM and JohnnyComeLately2k6 like this.
  19. svtzr

svtzr - Lakers Starter -

Dudley for MVP

20. BangBoomPow

BangBoomPow - Lakers Starter -

I have a crush on Jared Dudley