Jalen Hood-Schifino Discussion: Not The Cam Whitmore Thread ;-)

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by JSM, Jun 22, 2023.

1. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

fish came in noted as a defender, iirc. bulldog on ball. as he got old, he became a liability.

his main value was the legitimate ice in his veins, which is hard to measure. can't say whether jhs has that or not, though i'm leaning no because he's timid on the big squad.

that said, we have lots of vets timid on the big squad, too. but fish came in with kobe ready to throw down. i actually think fish is why we signed vincent. similar profile, imo.

LTLakerFan and Slick2021 like this.
  2. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

Yeah..little dudes with heart are valuable too.

abeer3 likes this.
  3. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

Well, the young version, as far as I can remember, was a pretty good defender. Everyone slows down as they get older.

KareemtheGreat33 and LTLakerFan like this.
  4. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

His form is actually really concerning to me. He is very slow by NBA standards in lining up his shot and bringing the ball up on his shot motion. In the G-League, ok, not so bad, but in the NBA you don’t have to time line stuff up, you have to create separation and fire it immediately. Yeah he’s going to need time, but man, I don’t see how our scouts didn’t see this, clearly we tried to trade him at the deadline, so this feels like a big miss

abeer3 likes this.
  5. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

DLO fired a catch and shoot 3 from the right side of the key against the Suns from where he caught it face high, immediately without even going into his normal motion because there was no time, and sank that sucker. That was pretty impressive. He IS an impressive offensive player with his repertoire.

6. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    wrong thread?:Kobe Snickering::Fishwink:

sirronstuff likes this.
  7. LTLakerFan

I see how it appears that way but actually was contrasting how fast DLO was able to get the shot off with no motion at all to what Weezy was saying about JHS taking too long with his. Certainly didn’t make it clear. :p

8. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

i don't think he was drafted with the idea that the stepback three would be part of his arsenal. at least i hope not.

i think he was drafted because he has great positional size, nba-level athleticism (yes, despite not being a leaper), good ball skills/passing, and a rep as a high character guy (underrated, and part of why whitmore dropped according to some sources).

i also think there's too much focus on the fact that the #17 pick in the draft won't be a star and that he's not a rotation player as a one-and-done rookie. these are incredibly rare things on their own.

i take heart that he's shooting 40+% from three in any league on any type of three. in the nba, all he's going to need to do is hit a respectable amount of catch and shoot threes and defend well, and he's already a backup-quality pg.

finally, while i do think that the fact we tried to trade him is a bad sign, he was also mentioned as a camp standout by more than one person and has been good in the g league. some guys (many guys) aren't ready to be rotation players on teams trying to win when they are inexperienced rookies. most of our draft successes outside the lottery have been guys who played 3-4 years of college ball (e.g., reaves, kuz, clarkson, nance). the fanbase isn't used to having to wait, hence the lack of patience with jhs (and max, tbh--he shouldn't be expected to be a contributor on a playoff team in his 2nd year).

he may be a bust, but we simply cannot know that now. it's equally likely that by year 3, he's a solid two-way backup pg, which exceeds projections for a #17 pick.

Juronimo and FrontOfJersey22 like this.
  9. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

He and Bam led the shorthanded Heat to a W over the Kings. Even if he's reached his ceiling, with that bag, he's already part of a 7-8 man rotation virtually anywhere in the league.

lakerjones and KareemtheGreat33 like this.
  10. KareemtheGreat33

Brow-beater
    Well, our vaunted scouting department never even tried out or even interviewed the local boy:Laugh:the Buss boys went full Simple Jack on this pick for some reason.

FrontOfJersey22 likes this.
  11. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

12. Weezy

I didn’t really post the video to talk about step back threes, to me it was concerning how slow his shot is in general, you have to be quicker in the NBA. As far as him not being a star or rotation player, the star bit is something I haven’t seen anyone mad about. The rotation player bit isn’t even the problem I see, it’s that he looks lost and completely out of his depth on the floor in garbage time. I haven’t seen many of the skills on display you mentioned in anything I’ve watched of JHS, I still can’t see what the Lakers saw in him in workouts. As far as Max goes, I’ve seen many have patience with him, I’ve said many times he’s only 20, he needs time. But he at least has shown flashes of great defense, of smart plays ahead of his years, of dominating in a summer league. I haven’t seen a single thing from JHS that has impressed me. Not writing him off entirely, I just haven’t seen any reason so far he was drafted where he was, and I feel like our scouts may have finally missed on this one, which is ok, nobody bats 1.000

abeer3 likes this.
  13. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

you may be right. i feel like he's strong with the ball and passes well already. ham's put him in tough spots, and it's hard to play next to lebron and AD as a young player, imo.

i'd warn folks about podziemski (whom i loved pre-draft and still like) and jacquez because they both play under great coaches who have gotten more out of guys than other teams have gotten. ham is the reverse, imo.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2024
    FrontOfJersey22 and Weezy like this.
  14. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    I got excited when I saw the statline in this video title, but yeah I can’t lie there is not much in these highlights that passed the eye test for me:

Most of his buckets looked pretty slow and clumsy, and I don’t see him converting a lot of those against NBA competition

ElginTheGreat and abeer3 like this.
  15. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

the hooks in the lane are pure junk and won't happen on the next level, ever, but the passes can, and the stepback three means to me that he has the ability to catch and shoot...whether he will or not is important, but he can, in theory.

and the announcers are right--strength on that one drive pops out. he won't bully nba guys like that, but he also won't be bullied.

once again--can he become a defender? that's the thing, more than any other thing, imo. he's got size, strength, and good hands. that often works.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  16. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

I’m more excited about Max Lewis’ development because he has the length and athleticism to be a good player in the NBA.
    I will keep typing that JHS is going to need at least two years to develop. He’s already strong, and will get stronger as he matures. Because of this, and his decent passing ability, he has a chance to be a decent backup PG. His shot isn’t picture perfect, but just like Halliburton, it won’t matter if as long as he can shoot a decent percentage.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  17. Weezy

Maybe he’s starting to find his footing

18. KareemtheGreat33

Brow-beater
    Let’s go JHS!

19. LTLakerFan

:Kobedisbelief:

20. KareemtheGreat33