Jalen Hood-Schifino Discussion: Not The Cam Whitmore Thread ;-)

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by JSM, Jun 22, 2023.

1. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

don't have time to listen. do they ever say who the lakers should have taken instead, in their opinion?

i think i would have tried to trade down with bkn for their two (and taken the same guys), but maybe that wasn't an option. did these guys want whitmore? i think that will be the big thing to watch going forward, simply because he's obviously talented.

i think it's interesting that cranjis says long range shooting is unlikely to improve. i really feel like there are lots of cases to the contrary.

anyway, what i'll say is that jhs seems like the guy who was the best bet to both help soon and possibly grow that was available at 17.

Cookie and TIME like this.
  2. wallangong

wallangong - Lakers 6th Man -

Cranjis knows basketball, but their individual player evals are wrong on many occasions. First one that comes to mind was trashing the Lonnie signing last year.

3. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    I am still a firm believer in the best player available (rule of thumb) and they probably disregarded it here with a prospective top 5 talent Whitmore still available.

I mean Kawhi was said to be excessively sweating that’s why the Suns passed taking him lmao.

This might be the case here since I have reviewed Cam Whitmore’s highlights and he is an athletic beast with a higher 3 pt % than JHS.

Cookie and abeer3 like this.
  4. svtzr

svtzr - Lakers Starter -

Unfortunately, we now have expectations that our picks are all going to be world beaters. Like you said, if JHS is a rotational player we did good and if Maxwell is as well than we did amazing for the second round.

I expect Max Christie to be a solid backup that provides some 3&D. I have no expectations for the new guys at all. With how much of a luck based outcome drafting is, I would of love to package the 17 for a vet like Royce O’Neale or DFS if I’m being honest.

Cookie, alam1108 and abeer3 like this.
  5. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

it sure reads like we tried like hell to trade the pick and couldn't find a deal we liked. the guys i hoped would fall to us didn't make it, so i feel like the scouts just have to be allowed to do their job. they went with jhs. honestly, if he can figure out his shot, he has potential to be very good.

malcolm brogdon is similar in size, less athletic, and shot about the same early in his college career.

Cookie and alam1108 like this.
  6. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers MVP -

Cam Whitmore was worth the risk at 17. BPA in the NBA draft shall always be the priority.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2023
    JohnnyComeLately2k6 and abeer3 like this.
  7. Toklat

Toklat - Lakers Starter -

Jalen has good vision and court awareness. His passes are pretty much spot on. If what they are saying is true about how he takes care of himself and has already been doing things like a pro I don't see any reason his weakness can't be fixed. The draft is full of really good players. On a normal year he would have been being talked about a lot more and we likely would not have got him where we did. He doesn't have the fanfare that Dlo or Lonzo had coming out of college. I really wanted both those guys and hadn't really watched Jalen but after watching how he runs the break and finds open guys it would not surprise me in a few seasons if Jalen isn't around their level or beyond them. I think if we weren't in win this year mode this pick would look much better to everyone. It also wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't find a way to dig out some playing time this season unless we end up making another good trade. To me it just doesn't make sense to play guys that are so limited extended minutes when we can be developing the complete players we now have.

Cookie and LTLakerFan like this.
  8. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

feel like the lotto was chock-full of boom/bust athletic types, so jhs wasn't part of this year's draft zeitgeist. i think nobody sees star potential in him, so he fell a bit. good chance he ends up better than half the guys taken ahead of him, though.

ElginTheGreat, Cookie and LTLakerFan like this.
  9. svtzr

svtzr - Lakers Starter -

I just don’t think either of JHS or Lewis is going to add much to our rotation this season. I’m not sure if Max Christie is going to get much burn either.

We’re slated to be a top contender (provided we stay healthy) and I think a decent 3&D vet like the two Nets guys might get us close to over the hump before Lebron and AD sail off into the distance.

abeer3 likes this.
  10. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

11. svtzr

svtzr - Lakers Starter -

He looks smooth, but I’m not sure if he gets any of those shots off in the NBA against proper defence.

LTLakerFan and abeer3 like this.
  12. ADKOBE

ADKOBE - Lakers 6th Man -

JHS plays defense, he will be in the rotation

ElginTheGreat, Toklat, abeer3 and 3 others like this.
  13. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers MVP -

JHS would have been the perfect triangle offense point guard.

14. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

Not sure why so many are already claiming that our picks suck and can’t develop. Our brilliant scouting department has been absolutely killing it these past few years. I think some are really quick to judge these kids before they have even seen what they can do at this level. I’m absolutely sure that no one in here had a clue of how good Austin could be after a few short seasons as a pro. Every single year there are guys who are picked much later in the draft who significantly out perform the kids picked much lower. I’m excited for Summer League and the months ahead to see what these prospects can turn into. I for one, would not like them packaged and shipped out for mid level veteran talent. For me, having home grown talent to root for over the years, while watching their development, is more exciting and fulfilling than rooting for the mercenaries for hire. This is just one of the reasons, among many, why Kobe Bean will remain my favorite Laker of all time.

ElginTheGreat, Toklat, Cookie and 5 others like this.
  15. FrontOfJersey22

Christie Will surely get burn this season based off the fact that he’s already a decent defender, and has shown spurts of being able to hit jumpers.

LTLakerFan and abeer3 like this.
  16. FrontOfJersey22

I remember getting excited about Kendall’s passing ability. Then the more I watched, the more I realized that he was really deficient in every other category related to basketball.

abeer3 likes this.
  17. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

true. i mentioned brogdon as a comp earlier, and another is billups. both big, not super athletic, but athletic enough. high iq, and in the case of billups and (seemingly) jhs, they play defense.

obviously, jhs also reminds me of the last lakers mid-1st pick, javaris crittenton. so hopefully, he doesn't, like, shoot a person.

yeah, i see that. but i said the same about the reaves clips when we signed him. we'll see.

related:

i think a royce o'neal doesn't jazz me enough to forego a chance for our scouts to prove their worth again. totally possible i look back and wish we'd traded for middling veteran that some other team found expendable, but i like taking shots at developing talent.

FrontOfJersey22 and LTLakerFan like this.
  18. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers MVP -

that’s exactly the issue. He plays like Reaves. Are the lakers anticipating losing Reaves if someone drops 4 years at 99? Not likely but we will know soon. Also, Reaves is bigger and can handle contact more. JHS is lean and thin.

I think they got him because he shows the signs of being a professional already. And Rob said this was for the future. So, I think this was an after Lebron is gone pick.

also, could be a replacement for Dlo if the lakers don’t sign him. Similar skills there too.

ElginTheGreat, Cookie, abeer3 and 2 others like this.
  19. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    I’m mildly disappointed we went with duplicate skilled draftee rather than an athletic freak who dunks everything :LLLLLebronlaughing:

JohnnyComeLately2k6 and OX1947 like this.
  20. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

jhs is actually a little bigger at 19 than reaves is now, i think. as for handling contact, i think that is learned over time. if it ends up we got a second reaves, that's sort of fantastic and solves all backcourt problems for the next several years.

the big difference between jhs and reaves or russell is both reaves and russell are shooters and were considered such at draft time. we didn't have to hope they'd improve it much.

you may be right that he's insurance for reaves/russell leaving, but i think (hope?) that's not the case. instead, i think it's just the lakers have a type they like in the backcourt and jhs fits it.