Jalen Hood-Schifino Discussion: Not The Cam Whitmore Thread ;-)

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by JSM, Jun 22, 2023.

1. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Perks of being a Laker

2. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

WTF .... where was Nike on Reaves?

Cookie and KareemtheGreat33 like this.
  3. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    Rigorer also cost as much as a Nike:Laugh:hopefully they made it with Nike materials because you don’t want our boy to be LonZo’d:LLLLLebronsniveling:

4. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

Wasn’t hyped enough.

5. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

6. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

Man, you are on a crusade to eviscerate a 19 year kid who clearly wasn’t drafted to contribute Day One.
    Enjoy “The Parade of Crying Over Spilled Milk” throughout this entire season.

Toklat likes this.
  7. ADKOBE

ADKOBE - Lakers 6th Man -

Cookie and abeer3 like this.
  8. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

Well...Max had a pretty rough looking jumper in summer league last year. He's made great strides, Jalen can do the same.

LTLakerFan and ADKOBE like this.
  9. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 - Lakers All Star -

Is Christie in there? Maybe not enough shots to qualify?

10. Bryant

Bryant - Lakers 6th Man -

Don't think it's fair to make judgements on JHS with such a small sample size. Look at what people thought about Trae Young when he played Summer League. Trae Young's Summer League Stats: 12.7 ppg on 23% from the field and 13% from three.

11. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

12. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

jhs was clustered in that figure with other guys i was interested in. maybe i'm bad, or maybe summer league isn't a great predictor of future success.

i will say summer league is better for score-first guys in general, as it tends to be glorified pick up ball. so small scoring guards and forwards are going to look better than floor general pgs and glue guy types.

13. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

most of the comments on Trae are pretty accurate, TBH.

He is a no-defense chucker.

14. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator - Lakers 6th Man -

Not gonna lie, Cam Whitmore looked amazing in summer league and I'm very sure everyone on here would have geeked out if the Lakers picked him and he showed out for the Lakers summer league team.

Having said that, JHS looked okay and did have moments where he showed his strengths. Particularily how he is a big guard who can playmake and has a good mid range game.

JHS's game which is based off fundamental and feel for the game (not his athleticism) reminds me alot of Brandon Roy. I think JHS does have the potential to be Brandon Roy as a best case scenario ceiling. JHS is younger than Brandon Roy was when he was drafted (20 years old vs 22 years old).

To put this in perspective, Brandon Roy averaged 17ppg/4.4rpg/4apg/1.2spg on 45% field goal shooting and 37% from 3 point range, while averaging 35minutes per game in his rookie season.

I ask myself if JHS was given the reins as the first perimeter option 2 years from now, would he be comparable to a rookie Brandon Roy? I kinda think he would be.

alam1108 and abeer3 like this.
  15. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater

I didn’t know that it was that bad in shooting. I now remember who he reminds me of physically, Ime Udoka.

abeer3 likes this.
  16. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 - Lakers All Star -

That FT% is a definite ouch: I think that's probably a statistical fluke though as he shot a decent 76% from the line during college. No reason that shouldn't translate

abeer3 likes this.
  17. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

4-game samples are bad, particularly in summer league. i'd ignore the stats and just focus on how things looked.

the good was that he appears to be a strong ballhandler and decent decision maker.

the bad is that his shot isn't fluid/natural, so he'll probably always struggle with consistency, imo. that said, other players with that issue have found ways to be strong open/standstill shooters from three. not sure if that's super useful from a pg, though, and he needs to play pg.

i didn't get to see enough defensively, but that's where he's going to have to make his bones early. he's got the size and strength to defend both guard spots in the nba, and the word seems to be that he has the want-to. we'll see. but probably not until 2024-5. i think he'll benefit from a lot of g-league time.

Cookie, Pioneer10 and JSM like this.
  18. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    I heard comparisons to Chauncy Billups from someone. Does anyone agree? I also heard Andre Miller. If you can get a PG like that, you have a really solid piece. Maybe a #3 or #4 option on a championship roster.

abeer3 likes this.
  19. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

billups was a better shooter from the get-go, but physically, he's similar to him, brogdon (also a better shooter), and andre miller. one could argue that jhs is probably a little more athletic than those guys, but not by enough to make up for the shooting differences between him and brogdon/billups. the miller comparisons seem closest to me, and so the question is whether andre miller would have a career in the current nba. in think possibly. if you can defend and initiate the offense, there are backup pg roles for you.

anyway, billups was a #3 overall pick (iirc) and probably would be today, too, so i'm not sure it's a fair comparison for jhs.

miller was late lotto and brogdon was 2nd round, so triangulating there is probably fair. those guys were both huge hits, though.

jhs doesn't really remind me of roy, fwiw. roy was bigger and had a smoother game overall. and while he did playmake as smooth said, i feel like his game was really different.

i wonder what jhs might have looked like had he stayed in school for a couple more years. the lakers are banking on him maturing/improving like roy and miller did, i think. and we do have a decent track record of late developing guys in the g-league.

alam1108 and Pioneer10 like this.
  20. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

On the LFR pod they were discussing how he's a throw back to a 90s style PG and we haven't really taken a PG like that since NVE (not comparing the two).

I think out of the batch the Miller comp makes a lot of sense. He has a couple inches and 10 pounds or so, think he can protect out as better defensively and maybe not as gifted offensively. Here's a look at JHS's numbers at Indiana vs Miller's freshman year at Utah.

JHS: 13.5 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 3.7 apg, 41.7% FG, 33.3% 3FG, 77.6% FT in 33 MPG
    Miller: 8.6 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 4.6 apg, 53.3% FG, 31.6% 3FG, 69% FT in 26 MPG

Miller stayed all 4 years though. His senior year's numbers:
    15.8 ppg, 5.4 rpg, 5.6 apg, 49.1% FG, 26.5% 3FG, 69% FT in 33 MPG

At the peak of his powers in the NBA, he was at 17/11/5. I am curious as to what kind of career an Andre Miller would have today, he had a career average of .7 attempts from 3 and shot a TERRIBLE 21.7% from 3. Today, centers who can't shoot have a better percentage from deep.