Jalen Hood-Schifino Discussion: Not The Cam Whitmore Thread ;-)

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by JSM, Jun 22, 2023.

1. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    With multiple talented scores on the floor, you can’t load up on stars or double team as much. Your offense is less predictable. Scoring can come from any position inside or out. (In theory) we’ve never built teams that way really

2. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    Like I said, thought JHS played well on Wednesday night, which was our last summer league game.

3. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

I'd like to see some more burst, but he has a solid NBA body already, and he can bully the summer league guards. Good handle, nice little floater in the lane. It will be interesting to see how he looks in preseason action. I don't think that he's going to play much this season, but he is another good prospect. Gotta work on that jumper tho

4. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 - Lakers All Star -

Pretty ugly boxscore in this one

5. Bryant

Bryant - Lakers 6th Man -

Get the feeling like Lonzo, JHS will do better with more talented players around him.

Don't expect much this year from him though. We got the players that he can model himself after who don't have the craziest athleticism, like D'lo and AR.

FrontOfJersey22 likes this.
  6. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Summer League review

Screenshot_20230715_121842_Twitter.jpg

7. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

What are "stocks"? He uses the term both in Jalen and Christie's final grading. Total of stops and blocks?

:KobeConfused:

8. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Steals + blocks

9. fabfourlakers

fabfourlakers - Lakers Starter -

I'm not sure why but I'm just not as high on this kid as others are. Feel like we took THT once again, and if he can't develop a consistent jumper, he won't see the floor with the current guys we have.

I'll caveat this with me being a bit biased - because I really wanted us to take Cam Whitmore, and he's looking every bit as good as I thought he'd be and he was RIGHT THERE. I don't want to doubt our laker scouting bcuz they've proven themselves but man, I feel like JHS could have been there a little later and we probably coulda tried to trade up for him. You don't pass on talents like Whitmore...and he could end up being one of the best players in this draft. HOU got very very lucky man...got literally 2 top 10 picks in the draft.

Pioneer10 and 432J like this.
  10. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Here's the difference: JHS plays under control. Good or bad, you're not speeding him up. THT never looked under control or like he knew what he was doing half the time. That projects for a very different kind of player and outcome.

So I think he'll see the floor because playing with better players will help him in ways it didn't matter with THT.

The shot does need some work. I think it'll get there.

11. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

I don’t get why many people seem to be so leaning to the downside of Jalen being that questionable as to developing “decent” distance shooting. Not like his form sucks and not like he didn’t hit some, including of the self created space step back variety. Have even seen comments like his shot is broken.

:Jeanie Srsly:

12. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

Or, he can be a cancer on a team that turns off the coaching staff and teammates. Time will tell.

lakerjones and pika1708 like this.
  13. FrontOfJersey22

He’s a project who needs to develop for a year. We have more than enough facilitators of the offense this season. If LeBron moves on after this season, we will be down one. I will remain patient.

lakerjones and LTLakerFan like this.
  14. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 - Lakers All Star -

The problem is he doesn't have a good explosion either off the bounce or at the rim and his jumper is whack right now. He also really really loves those mid range floaters and pullups but he's not at that Tony Parker level of efficiency to make those shots work (Low foul rate on these)

There is definitely a path to him being a successful NBA PG ala Andre Miller with his size and skill level but he's got a long way to go. THT for all his limitations is a legit NBA player and in the summer league he showed flashes of legit woah he can do that? Haven't seen that from JHS IMO. Whitmores knee may blowout but I would have taken the risk on him

15. FrontOfJersey22

Good counterpoints and all valid. I’m just going to say that when I watched Max last summer, I had zero confidence in him turning into the player that we just saw on the court. That being said, we can’t count on Fino mimicking this amount of improvement, but at the same time, we have one of the best developmental coaches in the game today.

lakerjones, JSM and LTLakerFan like this.
  16. Toklat

Toklat - Lakers Starter -

What I want to see is how they look with other NBA guys. Max didn't look good in summer league last year but it was easy to tell he was going to explode watching him play even his very limited minutes in the regular season, of which their should have been many more. From what I've seen of JHS I don't expect the same quick rise as Austin, Max and Colin but he has the talent to get there He doesn't seem to mind working. As loaded as we are I'm not sure how he even gets Max minutes this season.

17. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

i saw more in max last summer than i do in jhs this summer (sure receipts exist). hope i'm wrong.

18. FrontOfJersey22

Fair enough. I believe you.

19. FrontOfJersey22

I remember being completely underwhelmed with DLo when I first watched him in Summer League. I didn’t see him becoming what he has turned into. Some take longer than others to be good NBA players.

Toklat likes this.
  20. ADKOBE

ADKOBE - Lakers 6th Man -

Ehh, he will be alright, he can score at all 3 levels and become a good defender. He is probably thinking to much out there, a lot to absorb being a point guard, he's just turned 20 iand playing summer league games, give him some time to develop.