How Bout Them Cowboys!

Discussion in 'Other Sports Discussion' started by TIME, Jan 13, 2015.

1. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Taco is a hell of an athlete, but I'm not positive he's a guy who is going to put himself on the line to win.

2. Lakers2015

Lakers2015 - Lakers Starter -

Marinelli will get the most out of him. DeMarcus Ware will probably work with Taco as well. He's a pro typical 4-3 defensive end. Definitely has pass rush ability, needs more refinement and improvement, but so do all these guys. That's what you get when you're picking at 28.

3. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    Will never approach the DWare level of dominance, but he will probably be a solid rotation guy. With Lawrence injured and Gregory in the twilight zone, we needed someone to fill that gap.

4. therealdeal

I hear you. I don't hate the pick. If he approaches the game with fire and works hard, he'll be a hell of a player for you guys.

One of my buddies who is a Cowboys fan preferred the Young Watt over Taco.

5. Lakers2015

He's not alone. I myself preferred Watt, but think we got a good player and nice fit.

Kind of surprised Green Bay traded out. I expected them to land Watt who is like a Matthews clone. Great pickup for the Steelers.

Good luck to your Rams by the way today! Will be interested to see if they surround the two young building blocks in Goff and Gurley with some better talent particularly on that OL.

therealdeal likes this.
  6. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    I like Watt too, but apparently the Boys saw him as a 3-4 end, and Taco as more of a 4-3 end.

7. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

We got our end...now to the DBs. I actually was expecting us to take King out of Washington when he was still available, but I suppose we can get corners later.

8. Lakers2015

I'd really like Obi Melifonwu, strong safety out of UConn.

Played with Byron Jones and that would be a nice fit there. Need a playmaker at that position and he could be it.

There are plenty of corners left in the draft hence why they passed on King and took the defensive end. I was hoping Conley would still be there, but the Raiders shocked me with that pick.

I love Sidney Jones, but worry about having to redshirt him and we already did that with Jaylon Smith. Need players on defense who will contribute right away.

Other guys that could be the pick Teez Tabor, Fabian Moreau, Justin Evans, and Chidobie Awuzie.

9. therealdeal

Thanks! If Lamp is there at 37, I'll gladly take him.

If not, I'll "settle" for Zay Jones or even Smith-Schuster or the kid out of ND.

Lakers2015 likes this.
  10. Lakers2015

Jason Garrett said today Jaylon Smith is eligible to participate in the Cowboys rookie mini camp.

More positive news for that player.

He has All Pro potential assuming he makes a full recovery and all signs point to that.

Very exciting.

11. Lakers2015

Cowboys add Jourdan Lewis and Chidobe Awuzie.

Solid picks. Just hope that DV charge against Lewis is unfounded.

12. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

Loved what Pearson did to the Philly throng... Totally worked them up. Good for him. LMAO! Such an angry, miserable crowd. Santa Claus must've been proud.

Nothing new however, I know someone in Minnesota that saw one of his speaking engagements where he brought up the Hail Mary play.

TIME likes this.
  13. Lakers2015

Looks like the Cowboys had another excellent draft. They've filled just about every hole they had on defense. If Jaylon Smith does return at 100 percent all of a sudden a defense that was a weakness could become a real strength.

Savory Griddles and TIME like this.
  14. Savory Griddles

I still worry about corner. We have lots of them to choose from now, but the Colorado kid sounds like he may be playing safety too. It's really hard to tell how good the draft was yet. It was always going pretty unspectacular based on where our picks were. But if Taco is the real deal, Jaylen is close to 100% and even just one of our corners we drafted turns out to be really good, our defense will be just fine.

15. Lakers2015

My only worry about cornerback is if they try and move Scandrick. Then that means you have literally nothing, but rookies and second year players as your cornerbacks. You need some level of veteran presence there. If Scandrick is healthy he should still our best defensive back.

16. Savory Griddles

That sentence should scare a team that is trying to win a Superbowl.

17. Lakers2015

Not really because when healthy Scandrick is one of the best at what he does which is cover the slot.

He was the team's best DB a few years ago when they were a reversed catch from being in the NFC Championship Game.

18. Savory Griddles

I'm not saying he's not a decent player. I'm saying if he's the best DB on your team, that's a problem.

19. Lakers2015

I don't agree. Like I said the Cowboys were on the brink of playing for a chance to advance to the Super Bowl with Scandrick being in the SB so it's not like he hindered them in anyway.

You don't need some bad a** secondary to be a contender. There's been many teams with average secondaries who have made the Super Bowl even won it. The Giants come to mind. If the Cowboys can get more of a pass rush which should be helped by the additions of Charlton, Smith, maybe even Tapper they can still contend.

20. Savory Griddles

But that's the thing. We had a pretty bad pass rush last season, and we will be relying on a bunch of inexperienced players to improve that. The Giants won a Superbowl with a legendary pass rush. It wasn't just good, it was insane. That first Superbowl they won had them seemingly rotating in like 6 guys that could get to the QB. You need one or the other. You need a good secondary or a good pass rush. Last season we had neither and Marinelli used smoke and mirrors and Sean Lee playing with his head on fire to make it work. Scandrick is an average to slightly above average DB. If he's our best player back there, it means we have average and below average players hoping Taco becomes Strahan and Jaylen Smith becomes Ray Lewis.

I'm really not trying to be a Negative Nancy or anything. I really like where our team is going, but I am trying to have realistic expectations for a secondary that will likely be a bunch of kids with Scandrick as the leader. Maybe Awuzie and Lewis come out like gangbusters, but I just think we are a year away.