Head Coach Search: 3rd Times A Charm - Vogel Agrees To Be Lakers Head Coach

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by LaVarBallsDad, Mar 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JLaker17

JLaker17 - Lakers Starter -

While the situation absolutely looks like crap, Vogel just signed up to coach a team with Lebron James and potentially another max guy. If he is going to bet on himself, its probably now or never.

lakerjones and LTLakerFan like this.
  2. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Oh .... all that. No of course not. I was just busting @KareemtheGreat33 's balls for calling him "Bob the builder".

:Fishwink:

3. LTLakerFan

A couple of you guys have that opinion. Gives me a little hope that maybe we'll be OK coach wise ...... long as Kidd doesn't systematically poison Vogel like happens on TV crime shows or put a shiv in his back if he catches him alone in the head some day with no witnesses taking a leak.

:Crazyartest:

Ryanwestlombardi likes this.
  4. LTLakerFan

:Laugh:

Weezy and sirronstuff like this.
  5. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

how is Vogel better than Lue? Lue in Clev w/o James team look just like Vogel in Orl w/o PG.

ElginTheGreat and alam1108 like this.
  6. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

I don't think Vogel is better than Lue either. Obviously here's here because he was willing to take 3 years instead of 5, put up with having Kidd foisted onto his coaching staff and he's probably taking less money per year as well. And I guess the FO thinks the "optics" seem better with not giving Lebron who he wants as HC?

To me they definitely blew this coaching hire to some extent. IMO they should've gotten on board with Lue - the smart choice in terms of optimizing Lebron's limited time here - and they could have a nice balance of a good offensive coach who knows best how to utilize Lebron (championship achieved), with a solid defensive assistant in Vogel.

Instead they only get the defensive side with Vogel and maybe a mentor for Ball in Kidd if he's still here and not traded for AD. But that mentor is also a backstabbing type coach and spousal abuser, so there's that.

I'm not bemoaning Vogel - I think he's a decent hire. But they missed an opportunity for sure IMO of having the best possible offensive coach for Lebron combined with a good defensive coaching assistant. Although that is assuming they could actually get Vogel as an assistant coach which was not necessarily so.

What's done is done, so I'm rooting for Vogel. I'll never root for Kidd because of his character flaws, although he was a fantastic player and I admired his game.

Cookie, ElginTheGreat, JSM and 3 others like this.
  7. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Did we get outdone by Cleveland too? This was a name I’d heard floated out there with Jay Wright, but it didn’t sound realistic to me

8. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

I don't like college coaches... old ones at that ;)
    Not thrilled with Vogel either though.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  9. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

everyone thought he wouldn't leave michigan.

but yes, i'd have preferred going with something other than an nba retread. our interview list contained nothing but failed nba coaches, though.

i guess i'm glad we didn't go full jb bickerstaff, but we're close.

10. CarolinaLakerFan

CarolinaLakerFan - Lakers 6th Man -

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  11. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Not sure Beilein would've come here. Going to be a slight adjustment period, NBA is a different beast. Lakers expect to win and there's a lot of pressure on our HC with Kidd nipping at his heels. With high expectations and no job security, you don't leave your college program in your late 60s for this s*** show. Cavs are rebuilding and have no expectations.

Only current college coach I'd be down with is Coach K. The only reason is because he would have power and Bron would listen to him. I don't think he'd do nearly as well as he's done at Duke, but you're not picking out staff for him, he'd have a say in personnel moves, and it's one of few coaches that Bron couldn't run out of town. Not to mention it'd finally put an end to the rumors of him coming here every time we have a coaching opening (even though it gets shot down within 5 minutes by Coach K).

Weezy likes this.
  12. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

13. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers All Star -

Lue is not better. Lue sucks. Vogel likley just sucks less. We shall see if he can implement something that makes the players listen to him.

14. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

what I tell you Ox, lol those "rumors" weren't rumors with the added bonus of Kidd as an asst too hahahaha :LLLLLebronlaughing:

OX1947 likes this.
  15. OX1947

Broken clock is right twice a day.

16. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

in this instance, right 3x lol

17. OX1947

What's so funny?

18. Bryant

Bryant - Lakers 6th Man -

Yeah, Beilein wasn't realistic for us. He didn't want to leave the Midwest. He wanted his family to stay in the Midwest and to be near his son, who's coaching ~3 hours away from Cleveland.

Woj's article said that he was a finalist to the Pistons job, but decided not to take it due to the lack of flexibility with the team. I guess Cleveland has more flexibility by giving him an opportunity to get Zion.

19. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

well you didn't believe those 3 candidates would be legit, and now?

20. KB24

KB24 Administrator Staff Member

Certified Tax Advisor
    5 year contract for a coach is ridiculous IMO, as they almost never last that long. Its just them pocketing a few extra paid years for doing nothing.

I don't hate the fact that the Lakers felt uncomfortable. What I do find irritating though is that if that is what the market is ready to cough up, you have to cough up. We could have offered him more money for 3 years...

also you want to sign a coach because you are convinced of him. So then why link his contract to LeBron's contract? Makes no sense to me.

I said many times the Lakers should hire THE BEST people in the business, regardless whether they are under contract somewhere else...just overpay to get some real talent in there.

We have assembled a group of goons....I rather have overpaid genuises than underpaid numskulls.

Vogel might not be a terrible coach...but he is also far from the best. Adding Kidd (another snitch) to the group doesn't help either.

And head of delicate operations or whatever Linda Rambis is...at a loss for words...

Khmrp, LTLakerFan, Weezy and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.