Head Coach Search: 3rd Times A Charm - Vogel Agrees To Be Lakers Head Coach

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by LaVarBallsDad, Mar 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fabfourlakers

fabfourlakers - Lakers Starter -

Yep...watch the Clippers steal him from us

2. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers Legend -

haven't been "great" for some time now....and thats what you call a "spin job" (like saying Magic quitting was good for us as he can now do the job he was meant to do) lol

3. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

The “so what” part that has people in an uproar isn’t simply because Linda is coming along. It’s because she brings KURT with her. A man who has no business back at the top of this or any other org in the league, yet he again gets to step in because he’s the husband of Jeanie’s best friend. That’s the reason for the uproar. Well, that and the absolute ridiculousness of going out and doing a coaching search before the front office mess is even sorted out, that solves nothing in the moment when we don’t have a clue what next year’s roster will look like. If you can’t understand why that causes an uproar, well then I think you and many of us here just see this situation very differently and it is what it is.

4. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

A little info on Tim Harris...thought it was cool.

Battle Tested20 likes this.
  5. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Maybe this is all part of what's preceded Magic leaving. Doubt it but what if the plan is to make Monty President and Coach. Could be a reason or possibility for Magic's cryptic The truth's going to come out tweet yesterday. Tin Foilin'. Nice that he has gotten some chops in working in well run front offices to boot. Did not know this.

Believe when I see it I guess. But could be a good thing if he's a real talent waiting to blossom.

ElginTheGreat and LaVarBallsDad like this.
  6. LaVarBallsDad

I don't think they'll give him a dual role, but I absolutely love the fact that he's worked under R.C. Buford and has some experience with Presti in OKC.

He's also use to the circus; He was apart of 2-3 (don't remember the exact number) different ownership regimes in NO. He'll do well here (amidst this circus...LOL)...and I'll give Jeanie and company credit if we hire him; he's a step in the right direction. IMO

ElginTheGreat and Helljumper like this.
  7. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

The Buss kids ain't their father, yet Ryan West will be.

We been sucking, yet Jeanie (who went to school for marketing) and her bff Linda get no credit for keeping the brand alive.

The clips are one star away, yet the Lakers aren't.

There's just too much contradiction with some of y'all and I ain't spending my energy talkin cLips on a Lakers board. Y'all should know better than that.

Weez, as for the Rambis's being there, Kurt was alright as an assistant for Phil. Maybe it's part of a feel out for Monty. If that's part of the reason the Rambis's are there and if Linda is a voice that Jeanie listens to, I'm sorry I personally have no problem with that.

I ain't burying Jeanie till Rambis gains an official title. Till then, he's an advisor and this is what advisors do.

Big Mamma Jamma likes this.
  8. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers Legend -

name me one guy who has been successful at the job when they had both BPO/Coach titles?...Riley was the best/closes case but he alleviated most of his BPO duties when he came down to coach that Heat team

Big Mamma Jamma and alam1108 like this.
  9. LTLakerFan

Me personally and I think it's valid is just worried about losing him. He has so much of his old man's handed down knowledge from their years on the road scouting, Jerry teaching and certainly Jerry would remain amongst his very most valued council and further on the job tutoring after hours if need be. Director of Player Personnel to me seems like not enough to keep him from leaving if gets a better offer.

10. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    Yeah I don’t think he should have both roles, but his front office experience is a positive. Might make me a little more comfortable with Pelinka’s presence if Monty had a large say in things as well.

11. LTLakerFan

Easy! I was just wondering with the new-to-me fact that he had worked around Buford and Presti and Magic's weird actions and tweets, trying to make sense of stuff that's been happening.

12. Weezy

Man, you’re really gonna ride this positive outlook on all this to the grave huh? I guess if anything I have to commend you or respect that, I don’t have the ability to see the same mistakes being made over and over since Jim took power and do the same. As for the Clippers, I would agree that they and us are both one star away, but at least in their case, as gross as it makes me feel to admit it, they have a new owner who is willing to do ANYTHING in his power to make them great, they have Jerry West, and they have a coach who has done an incredible job this year with a roster that had no business even making the playoffs once they traded away Tobias Harris. The clippers are currently a little ahead of us just by making the playoffs and already taking 2 games from the Warriors. I already conceded the other day that this noise can all disappear though if we somehow manage to land a Kawhi or Kyrie and then trade for AD (plus hire a decent coach). Star power like that can overcome front office dysfunction to a large extent. It’s just that the current front office mess lessens my confidence in those moves actually happening, where had we gone out and gotten a super respected new PBO and GM my confidence would be higher.

13. LaVarBallsDad

14. LaVarBallsDad

15. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers Legend -

just saying bro, history has shown us dual roles dont lead to success, thinking Monty could be the exception could doom us. If you dont learn from history, you're doomed to repeat it

16. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

I'm not being optimistic...I'm tired of the contradictory reporting.

Doc had his kid play for him, yet we suffer from nepotism. cLips did s*** with 3 (current or previous) allstars, yet they own LA now. They swindled Blake and then tried to do it again with Tobias in an extension (but he was the wiser so they cut bait on him), yet Kawhi's a lock there and other FAs are rumored to look at it favorably. They were rumored to laugh about our Zu deal and it sure looks like Zu is sure exploiting that fatcatitis the dubs are suffering from, with his recent DNPs and losing his 9mins per starting gig. Come'n man...the narratives have been wild. But some of y'all don't want to see that.

Our current FO (with Jeanie in the know of bball ops) has been at it for 2 years. Meanwhile Ballmz has been at it for almost 5.

It's true West has had some success in turning it around, but there were exec openings and neither he nor his son were made candidates. Why? In a way, West is getting too much credit for the recent cLip turnaround from some of you...but the basketball world is saying otherwise.

Again bringing up cLippers to bury Jeanie is a trash take. And it will be resisted hard here, on a Lakers board, by yours truly. I'm not against reasonable discussion, but big upping the cLips, while trashing us is imo a trash take.

But like I said, y'all can trash her...I just won't do it till it's officially official that she made the wrong decision in handing out the Prez title.

So far, y'all just guessing that Linda/Kurt are the de facto Prez and the ultimate decision makers, but that hasn't been proven yet. As for Rob, I need to see his title change as well before I can criticize Jeanie's decision on the matter.

So far there's been conflicting reports: we stay as is and elevate from within or we are in cahoots with someone that is currently employed by a playoff team. Let all the info come out first before we start burying her...at least that's what I feel is the appropriate thing to do.

17. Weezy

You used a LOT of hyperbole in that first paragraph, I don’t think most view the Clippers that highly, only that they’re a little ahead of us at this moment. Nobody said they own LA, nobody said Kawhi is a lock there, we still own LA, and Kawhi imo is still a possibility for us. And ok, maybe West is getting to much credit, in that case whoever their GM actually is should still be getting the credit, but West did help greatly in GS (I believe he threatened to quit if they traded Klay for Dwight) so it’s hard not to see his fingerprints all over the Clippers good moves. And let’s be a little fair to the Clippers as well (*vomits in own mouth*), a couple of their playoff runs were ended by injury, the CP3/Griffin/Jordan run wasn’t a complete failure all the time just because it was the Clippers.

As for trashing Jeanie, I don’t see that as what’s being done, I see us lamenting her moves more, because they make no sense. I don’t think we’re guessing that Linda/Kurt are super high up decision makers either, why would they be going on these coaching interviews if that weren’t the case, that’s a logical assumption to me. If the Lakers were currently interviewing other PBOs from top teams out there that would be different and a reason for hope, but they’re interviewing coaches, which is a completely backwards way to go about this. And lastly, as for this only being Jeanie 2 years into the basketball ops side, that’s all the more reason for her to put the best people around her, not just Magic, Kobe’s agent because she couldn’t get Kobe himself, and then Linda and Kurt Rambis because they are her closest friends. As LFR pointed out in tweets, Linda has been Jeanie’s right hand for forever now, it’s only now being reported because her human shield in Jim (and now Magic) is gone. That is super concerning to me. This summer is HUGE, if we don’t sign a star our capspace starts to have holds on it needing to pay Ingram, then needing to pay Lonzo, we need to turn this around right now. I’d simply feel more confident we could do that if we had a respected FO instead of a mom and pop shop one. I think if anything we are really banking on LeBron to be the major recruiter this summer.

18. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers Legend -

dont worry about Ingram, Zo, etc. Weez...they'll trade em off for pennies on the dollar and cont. swinging those cap plans

Big Mamma Jamma and alam1108 like this.
  19. fabfourlakers

fabfourlakers - Lakers Starter -

Looks like we've made an offer to Monty Williams...

Big Mamma Jamma and Khmrp like this.
  20. Weezy

That guy doesn’t know s***. I would be fine with it if true, but that’s not a source. If anything it’s an educated guess as we sent every employee of the current Lakers FO to meet with him today, and because Phoenix also wants him. Also, if we did offer the job, doesn’t mean he takes it, maybe he’d want Phoenix or to take Brett Brown’s job if they lose in round 2.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.