Head Coach Darvin Ham Discussion: Hot Pockets

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by TIME, May 27, 2022.

1. 4dm68

4dm68 - Rookie -

Wasn't Mike Brown fired after one season? Don't wait until next season to throw away the next one too. Do it this off-season.

I think right now is the perfect timing, look at all the coaches that got fired.

We are always a WIN NOW! oganization. We do not have the time to train a rookie coach.

Panko likes this.
  2. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

We should do it now and hire Doc Rivers, since he's availale. OK, I am kidding about that last part, but there are actually some good coaches available. Our time to truly contend is next year.

Panko and 4dm68 like this.
  3. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

He should have switched our DAR and Vando for Schroder and Rui to start the second half. Instead he kept DAR in way too long and some bad possessions later, we lost all momentum to get back in the game.

Panko, ADKOBE and Pioneer10 like this.
  4. pika1708

pika1708 - Lakers Starter -

We were meant not to make the playoffs and got to WCF and people wanting Ham to get fired lol

He has definitely been underwhelming this series and made mistakes that cost us games. He has also made decisions that won us games that got us here.
    He will learn from those mistakes and let's see how he shows up next year. This team with a training camp can be interesting

5. ADKOBE

ADKOBE - Lakers 6th Man -

D lo sucks the whole series and still get to many minutes. Make him earn his minutes ham, your hurting our feelings

Panko likes this.
  6. 4dm68

4dm68 - Rookie -

Stop making excuses. Ham was coaching the team 2-10 start. Ham was supposed make it work with Russ. Until Rob made some good trades that this team got better. We were in a good position to win this series until he handicapped us. You acknowledged that he made mistakes, the Lakers is not G-league for grooming coaches. Every year for us is win now. We don't have the time to let Ham "learn from his mistakes". Are you sure he won't make other rookie mistakes next year? I'm not sure of that.

Panko likes this.
  7. fabfourlakers

fabfourlakers - Lakers Starter -

Will say this...Ham is a good coach..but he ultimately cost us this series with that game 1 starting lineup.

8. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers All Star -

Meh..we have lost 3 straight games..that's not all on Ham. The players have to make plays, they have come up short in that regards.

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  9. Slick2021

Ham getting fired is a ridiculous idea.

LakerFanIam and sirronstuff like this.
  10. pika1708

Yeah it's not excuses, it's context. He clearly overachieved this season. He managed the Russ situation like few could. You should have a look at Giannis take about failure. You could learn a thing or 2 for your life, read some books too ;)

svtzr likes this.
  11. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    Milwaukee said they missed him this year, and that it wasn’t talked about enough.

I’m more disappointed in the players underachieving than coaching decisions. You can’t only play your 5 best players. People have to step up.

lakerjones likes this.
  12. 4dm68

4dm68 - Rookie -

overachieved? Lol yeah if Rob didn't make those trades and he took that team to the WCF then you can say he overachieved.

I'm glad you brought up Giannis, his coach got fired...

I hope you don't have kids.

13. Slick2021

Bamba hasn't played, Beasley doesn't play, and D'Angelo has shrunk before our eyes. We didn't get as overloaded with all this talent, as much as folks are making it out to be IMO. Rui and Vanderbilt are keepers but some of these guys that were already on the team out of training camp, have made more of an actual impact IMO. Lebron and AD ,actual playing together for more than a handful of consecutive games, should not be underestimated either.

LakerFanIam and svtzr like this.
  14. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    Rookie mistake he couldn’t afford make, just got behind the eight all.

Panko likes this.
  15. wcsoldier81

wcsoldier81 - Lakers All Star -

Didn't like the stategy to double Jokic one pass away from the start of the series .

I know Lakers had success doing it in the regular season but still doesn't like it .

It allowed Nuggets role players to get into a great rythm and they never looked back

16. svtzr

svtzr - Lakers Starter -

Rui was a good addition in hindsight. But the rest of our moves were so so. DLo wilted in the playoffs, Beasley shot his way out of the rotation before the playoffs started and Vando unfortunately was an offensive liability.

I tend to agree with Slick here, having AD and Lebron (relatively) healthy was the key difference maker. After that main point; the continued growth of Reaves and some nice play from Schroeder, Rui and Walker at key times propelled us.

17. wcsoldier81

wcsoldier81 - Lakers All Star -

Both DAR and Vando had their moments in the 1st two series .

Everything is not negative , I'd like to keep Vando , he has room to improve .

Once again if Lebron and AD were in 2020 form , we wouldn't talk about DAR and Vando weaknesses because we would be up 2-1

Panko and LTLakerFan like this.
  18. Toklat

Toklat - Lakers 6th Man -

I would not want Ham fired for this season but his rope is short. The regular season he was bad even given the roster situation. Had a little redemption and the first two rounds and then fell flat on his face. I want to see if he can watch film in the off-season, learn from his mistakes of which he has many to choose from and be better. He also has the same handicap that any Lebron coach does but even worse. Lebron for better or worse is not coachable. No coach wants him shooting all those crazy threes but no one can stop him. With Austin, Rui, Max and whoever we draft we have a great young core. Keep AD as an anchor on defense and to control the boards. Offensively just let AR create for these guys. There are some other guys I wouldn't mind keeping but not going to bother me if we don't. This was a fun season in many regards and if we are smart and learn from it we have a bright future.

Panko and LTLakerFan like this.
  19. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 - Lakers All Star -

I thought he was excellent in the first 2 series and even in this series the defensive adjustment on jokic have been solid, they are emphasizing Lebron in the post as well.
    However, this series he has not been decisive with the player adjustment and it has definitely cost the Lakers (not starting Rui, way too much Vando, DLo). Add in starting with small ball against a huge lineup in Denver was a disaster in the making. This was not a hindsight issue, whole threads have been dedicated to this before the series.

That being said, you have to take the totalality of the season and I think overall he's done a good job, particularly for a rookie coach, and have no desire to fire him. He was given a s*** roster, a lot of injuries to deal with, massive roster turnover, etc. And like I said I was impressed with his coaching until this series.

svtzr and ElginTheGreat like this.
  20. pika1708

I have something I don't like in him. In one of this series interviews he mentioned that this is a "chess game" and he was holding some adjustments to be played in the "right time".

I HATE that.

I believe it was about putting Rui on Jokic. And the same happens with LeBron/AD P&R which is not used enough. If it works, just DO it. Make the other team adjust. We have talent enough to find counter-attacks or other ways to gain advantage. I mean, we are literally facing a team who runs the two-man game for 48 minutes if they need to. And they're one win away of the Finals

ElginTheGreat, Panko and LTLakerFan like this.