Head Coach Darvin Ham Discussion: Hot Pockets

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by TIME, May 27, 2022.

1. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers All Star -

Good lord dude..how did your superior genius coach manage to lose this game anyway? Jeesh

2. Slick2021

Could win it all this year as is.

3. Slick2021

Didn't need one either it turned out.

sirronstuff likes this.
  4. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

You could be right.

sirronstuff likes this.
  5. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

If we make it to the playoffs, I do fear our chances the deeper we went. You need smart coaches the tighter it gets, the longer series go, adjustments have to be made. Ham just isn’t there yet. That 3rd quarter was BAD, this isn’t the Shaq, Kobe, Fisher, Fox, Harper, Horry, etc Lakers full of seasoned vets and he isn’t Phil Jackson, you have to stop momentum when things go that bad. Even if just to give our guys a small breather to calm down and regroup. Stuff like that will cost you in a playoff game. He rides lineups too long too, I think there was a point there that Reaves and Dennis hadn’t had a break for a looooong time.

alam1108, LTLakerFan, Panko and 2 others like this.
  6. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

Yup. Hopefully, he will learn over time. At least he has this team playing excellent defense again.

lakerjones and Panko like this.
  7. Slick2021

I'm good with Darvin. For whatever reason, this guy keeps the team in contact, with a chance to win in the 4th quarter on most nights. It doesn't matter who we have or who we are playing, that's a talent for a HC. Monty Williams went to the Finals with little experience, and besides Kerr, none of these other HC in the West have a lot of deep playoff run HC experience either. He's not perfect, but he has a knack for reading his guys, and getting them to play hard, hopefully Lebron and AD will lead the way in the playoffs. It's not like he's never been on a Championship winning team's coaching staff, as the lead assistant either. I'm a believer.

svtzr and lakerjones like this.
  8. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    lack of 3rd quarter adjustments, but way to let the team play through their deficiencies and figure things out. We need time on the court together, and is there any better way than making mistakes and overcoming them?

Kudos. Genius. Probably inspired by Kurt too.

Slick2021 likes this.
  9. Slick2021

Lol..I didn't think Kurt will be in the locker room cursing him out anytime soon.

sirronstuff likes this.
  10. wcsoldier81

wcsoldier81 - Lakers All Star -

The zone was a good adjustment

sirronstuff likes this.
  11. sirronstuff

Ham is underrated

12. Panko

Panko - Rookie -

I agree, a good honey baked ham is delicious. But this coach? Nah, he ain't it.

Fr though, he reminds me of Dave Roberts in some ways. Former player who's good in the locker room, keeps guys motivated, they seem to like him, he can manage personalities pretty well, especially with people going in and out of the starting lineup or rotation - but he makes boneheaded decisions and in-game mistakes some of the time, leading to a lot of criticism. They're overall good for the team but not top tier in-game, maybe not even above average.

FrontOfJersey22 and LTLakerFan like this.
  13. svtzr

svtzr - Lakers Starter -

For whatever criticisms everyone has, these are the objective facts:

Losses by less than 6 points (two possessions): 12 games

Losses by more than 14 points* (blow out): 10 games

Half of those bad losses happened in the first 12 games. Since then we’ve played 55 games and had 5 blowouts only. That’s not a bad result at all and at least points to something the coaching staff are doing right since blow out losses do correlate with bad coaching.

* I chose 14 instead of 15 since there was a few 14 point games that were bad losses but would of painted the picture with a bias if it was 15.

abeer3 likes this.
  14. Wino

Wino - Lakers Starter -

Retired
    You know, he has had a krappy roster most of the time and now he is having to learn who he has on the clock, so all his attempts to figure what will work and when it will work is right on the job. Even Phil would have some problems with that. He would NEVER have taken this job because dealing with that was a basic requirement.

I am not convinced he is a great coach but it is hard to blame all this on him with the lousy roster we have had. We have the rest of the year to judge him on, if he makes some mistakes along the way that cost us in the playoffs, then I may feel differently but for now, I am more with him than against him and feel we should give him a chance.

abeer3 likes this.
  15. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

he deserves next year. i just can't make any judgments of a guy who had to do deal with russ. impossible situation.

16. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

He had one of the most unbalanced rosters I’ve ever seen for a Lakers team for 2/3 of the season. He had to deal with Russ who threw Vogel under the bus and got him to not only buy in to a bench role but had him playing at 6MOY level while doing so. We had major injuries not only to AD and Lebron but Reaves and Walker for significant time. We started 2 out of ten and then with finally a decent roster at his disposal since the trade deadline he’s inspired the team to 8 wins out of the last 11 and into the playoff picture. Remember the loss to Minny at home - the only real stinker in there? He ripped the team for lack of urgency and they’ve won three hotly contested games since. I believe he’s doing a good job.

17. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

He deserves nothing. We will just be prolonging the suffering and winning inspite of him, much like what happened in the Totonto game.

He stood there. The entire awful 3rd quarter and did NOTING. Most of the time he didn't even approach the bench, just stood by the scorer table. He took 1 timeout the entire quarter.

I am sorry. That's not a good coach nor is it a "rookie mistake". My dead blind cat knew we needed to take a timeout to stop the bleeding.

FrontOfJersey22 likes this.
  18. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

You sure are fixated on the time out thing seemingly to the exclusion of any of his good attributes. A lot of the early 2/3 of the season lineup stuff I agree it’s fair to cut him some slack with the roster he had plus the “Russ” situation. Since the big trades his starting lineup immediately with the Vandalorian inserted and his rotations have been fine. Defense obviously has picked way up and the team hangs in there and plays hard for him. Who knows …. maybe he was trying to test if they could regroup themselves. Certainly not a fireable offense. As well am not saying he doesn’t have room for improvement.

Toklat likes this.
  19. sirronstuff

FYI all dead cats are blind

that's like saying Pork Bacon, so redundant

:Laugh:

LTLakerFan likes this.
  20. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

That's how obvious that crap was.

sirronstuff likes this.