Get Rid Of The Electoral College?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion and Philosophy -(FORUM CLOSED)-' started by Azndude2190, Nov 12, 2016.

1. Azndude2190

Azndude2190 - Lakers 6th Man -

Let me preface this by saying that both Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump knew the rules as they currently are going into election. So yes, Donald Trump won fairly and will be the President of the United States. This thread isn't me complaining that Clinton should be President, it's more like what we should do moving forward.

I hear proponents of the EC say if you get rid of it, major cities (which are all Democratic strongholds) will hold way too much power and effectively California and New York will decide the election every 4 years.

That said, the idea that someone wins the majority of votes, but loses the election is kind of inherently wrong to me.

But i'm kinda curious to see what people's opinions are?

2. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    The C Bags scored more points than the Lakers in the 2010 Finals. Lakers won 4 games to 3, but overall the C Bags scored more points. C Bags should be the champs.

Okay, I don't know if they really scored more points, but I'm trying to paint a picture of why this thought process is flawed.

I hear the Left saying we don't need an Electoral College. Here is why we do need one: Election rigging is easy to do if it's simply "most votes wins." Hillary would have won by about 250,000 votes. It would be so easy for a state like Texas to add in 300,000 votes and get Trump a win. With the Electoral College, the election rigging has to be in many more places (harder to do, easier to get caught). Also, looking at the map, it's all red except for the big cities. Do we really want 5 cities dictating the election? Even California had more counties voting for Trump than Hillary.

I think to get rid of the Electoral College you'd need 2/3 of the states to vote in favor of it. Hillary only won 17 states. It's simply not gonna happen anytime soon.

Having said all of that, I do think it's odd that the person with the most votes didn't win.

Lastly, the Left is trying to get the Electoral voters to vote for Hillary. If you want Republicans to join the riots, this is how you do it.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
  3. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

When I was younger (early 20's) I thought popular vote was the way to go. But As I get older, I realize the genius of the electoral college. Like most people said, California and New York would determine the way government is ran for everyone in the nation. We need to remember that we have a union of states. The Constitution is to "form a more perfect union" which isn't the case if you have essentially the producers in the middle of the country having their lives dictated by the consumers and more service oriented areas on the coasts. The economies, needs, types of people...they are different. If you went to a straight popular vote that essentially turned all of middle America into a vast wasteland of people who work to provide for their governing overlords on the coast, how long until you think our union will last? I mean, the middle of America just pushed Donald Trump into the White House because they are sick of how things are now. How pissed do you think they would get in another 4-5 elections of having zero say? There would be civil war...and just remember where all the guns are.

4. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    I said this in my original response, but didn't want to incite anyone. (not that you did). But I agree. It's real. People are stocking up for the next civil war. And those laughing and saying that's nonsense are the ones who will lose.

5. Savory Griddles

Yeah. I'm not trying to incite anyone. Heck no. I'm a semi-conservative dude living in a midnight blue state. I don't want to have to flee to Texas under the darkness of night. I am just pointing out that people in the middle of the country are stocking up like crazy on weapons. And if they were ignored long enough by the coastal cities, they'd revolt.

John3:16 likes this.
  6. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    [​IMG]

In order for her to have won the popular vote, that would have to be clustered in just a few markets. If she had been elected, it would not have represented the interests of the whole country. This method seems to fairly represent what the majority of the country cared about.

7. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    Hunger Games here we come!

sirronstuff and Savory Griddles like this.
  8. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

The other side. I don't know which is correct, but I lean more towards each individual having an equal vote.

RasAlgethi and Azndude2190 like this.
  9. Azndude2190

^ Similar sentiment:

RasAlgethi likes this.
  10. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    TIME likes this.
  11. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Super delegates.jpg

TIME and revgen like this.
  12. Azndude2190

^The reality is that people were pissed that Al Gore lost the presidency in 2000, even though he won the popular vote. Bernie Sanders supporters (including me) didn't like the super delegates.

Also, Obama's name was never on the ballot in Michigan and there was a back and forth between both campaigns on the popular vote:

Problems with popular vote metrics
    Is Clinton ahead in the popular vote?

The problem with Clinton's popular vote math

So hypocrisy not found...

13. Azndude2190

14. TIME

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    I would be shocked to find any hypocrisy among the Democrats.

15. Azndude2190

There's plenty of hypocrisy on both sides, but in this specific instance there are none, unless you care to refute what I posted.

16. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    You, Barns, and a couple others that like Bernie were upset (rightfully so), but the outrage from the Left pales in comparison to Trump winning. where was the thread asking if Super delegates should be abandoned ? where was the 7 days (and counting) of protests and riots? where was Soros?

Selective outrage, IMO.

sirronstuff, Barnstable and TIME like this.
  17. TIME

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    No, I don't need to refute your specific point. You may even be right, I haven't looked at it. My response was more along the lines of "If you haven't found any hypocrisy you aren't looking closely enough." Both parties swim in an ocean of hypocrisy so it's much harder to not find any than it is to find some.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
    sirronstuff and Barnstable like this.
  18. acetabulum7

acetabulum7 - Rookie -

If it takes 38 states to amend the constitution, should we change that too? Since some states weigh differently than others?

What kind of precedent would eliminating the electoral college have?

19. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand

I doubt it could get 10 states, let alone 38.

Despite all my arguments in favor of the Electoral College, I'll say it again: seems weird to me to have the winner receive less votes.

20. Savory Griddles

Another thing to consider, if it was a straight popular vote, they would have campaigned differently. Who knows how the popular vote turns out if both candidates were required to campaign in all 50 states? Does Trump get more votes in CA and NY? Does Hillary get more votes in Alabama and Arkansas?

sirronstuff, John3:16 and Barnstable like this.