Gender Equality Thread

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion and Philosophy -(FORUM CLOSED)-' started by FreeThePeople, Oct 5, 2014.

1. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    What does it mean to say "men would always dominate women" "in direct strength based competitions"?
    Doesn't it depend upon which men and which women sign up?
    Can't a woman be a place holder? A kicker? A punter? A QB? If not, why not? If so, why should they not be allowed to play sports.
    Is there any women who has ever lived who was better than any male athlete ever? If so, why shouldn't she be allowed to play sports?

Notice that golf is a bad example - as women now regularly compete in mixed tournaments. A woman made it to Mt. Midoriyama; nearly every man who has ever tried didn't make it that far. Women have played college football (I don't know about pros).

Either you're agreeing with me - and it's perfectly fine for them to compete on their own merits or you disagree and those women should always be forced to compete in women's divisions. If it's the latter, I want to know why.

I can readily grant that in general men are stronger than women. That's not what this thread has become; it seems to be about excluding women from things simply because they're women (plus some sexist views about abilities and capacities).

2. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    I wasn't addressing the question of exclusion of women in my post. I was only addressing your video as I thought it responded or failed to respond to his point about the comparative strength of men and women.

Again, for clarity sake, I will say that there are exceptional women in every sport. I'm a big ANW fan and watched with great admiration the woman who was the first in history to pass the Finals course when her boyfriend, a high level competitor went out this year on the qualifying course. But, no one thought she had a realistic chance to win or finish anywhere among the top level men. She didn't. She went out early in the first stage of the next course. But the point even then is that she is an amazing exception. 99% of the competitors at that level are men.

You used some football examples. If the NCAA and the NFL were to announce open tryouts for all positions in football, how many women would make the team and at what positions? There might be one or two or three across the country that could make an NCAA team. None would make the NFL. We could do the same with the NBA and the WNBA. It does not diminish women athletes to say so, and I do not think it's sexist to say so. It's simply genetics: physical and biological differences.

3. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    Thanks for answering my challenge.

Me quoting myself:
    Your view is the second? "You believe they (women) are worse than every male who might compete." Is that right? You think it's clear that zero women would ever make any professional sports team? Now, why think that?

If we're to believe one of the following, tell me which is more plausible:
    Some woman somewhere is good enough to compete in a sport against men.
    No woman anywhere is good enough to compete in a sport against men.

Racing, golf, tennis, etc. It has happened repeatedly, so you surely shouldn't believe the second one.

4. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    I don't know how you two are using "sex" and "gender" - it sounds like you're using them as the same thing. They're not. One is a biological construct (or it's not - and many who think they're men aren't) and one is a social construct.

Notice that on this view, someone who has low testosterone isn't a man. Even "men." Unless sex is a continuum, but if it's a continuum, it's not binary.

Gender is typically no longer treated as binary (male or female). It's now a continuum or an open "fill in the blank."

In short, I think that this view that is being advanced is false in light of empirical science about sex and gender, is false in terms of the empirical claims it makes about the capabilities of "men" and "women" or "male" and "female" people, and it's clearly sexist to simply keep banging on that this must be true without looking into the evidence.

5. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    This discussion just got complicated. I'm going to relax and watch the game before my head explodes. :p

6. FreeThePeople

FreeThePeople - Rookie -

I'm sorry, when I was saying gender, I really meant sex. Yes, people identifying outside of the gender binary certainly complicate things. How about a woman who identifies as the male gender and receives testosterone and this and that? That's where things get complicated, and I don't like to go that rout because that's messing with biology and making things too complicated. Gender is a human construct, true, and yes, there are certain things that men have traditionally done that "make them men", and things that women have traditionally done that "make them women". Those are human constructs; a woman being subordinate to a man isn't "biological", it is a human construct and a learned behavior - just like all other aspects of gender. They aren't real (women aren't actually subordinate to men, men have just oppressed them).

Back to the topic: sex. I was trying to advance the view that based on an individual's sex, the individual is either more or less capable for muscle development. Is this false? I think that I am looking at the evidence. Isn't testosterone the chemical that makes men stronger? That's evidence, right?

I think it would be unfair for women to make them compete with men in sports like football or basketball. Muscle strength is a huge part of the game, and men have a biological advantage. Like TIME said, there would be a VERY small number of women that could actually make the NFL.

If testosterone is the chemical that makes men stronger, then men will always have the potential for greater strength than a woman because of this, but what about estrogen or progesterone? Men can't compete with women for breast size (a physical characteristic like muscle size), which is obtained through women's high levels of estrogen... Men also can't compete with women for making babies, which is obtained through embryogenesis with women's high levels of progesterone... I would say that breast size is a physical characteristic just as much as muscle size. So now we're into "evidence" and "biology". Does men's level of testosterone prove my point?

7. lakerswiz

lakerswiz Guest

Hasn't it been well documented that professional women athletes routinely lose to high school boys teams in the same sport?

Venus and Serena, Women's Soccer, Women's Ice Hockey. Even the best of the very best, the Olympic teams lose to high school boys. They just can't keep up.

Some women can be stronger than men. There is no doubt there are tons of women stronger than me.

But they also try to be. They work out and eat properly. If I match that regimen I would certainly be stronger than they were.

8. DarthRekal

DarthRekal - Rookie -

US Army Aviation, Apache Armament
    Military perspective... genders are not equal.. should we try to make it as close as possible? SURE.. but face it.. we dont get childs rights in court.. trust me I know.. so it doesnt all swing our way.. no pun intended

9. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    Actually, men don't as often seek custody, but when they do they're more likely to get it. This is, however, a recent trend.

Lakerswiz: I'd love to see you do it. Easy to talk the talk from the armchair.

10. DarthRekal

DarthRekal - Rookie -

US Army Aviation, Apache Armament
    i beg to differ.. I have a house a study job and still couldnt get custody.. the law sides with females.. unless there are extenuating circumstances

11. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    One case is one case. I'm sorry to hear it, but my wife's scumbag ex got partial custody by asking. That one piece of data doesn't prove my point either.

I'll send you data if you want to check it out.

12. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

you mean they wouldn't even grant joint custody?

13. lakerswiz

lakerswiz Guest

Of course it's easy to armchair, we're on a site about NBA basketball. But men are stronger than women in general. A man puts in the same amount of work with the same eating habits and he will be stronger 10 times out of 10. That's why women don't fight men in boxing or UFC. It's why they don't play men's basketball or football or soccer or volleyball or swimming or tennis or any sport.

It's been proven time and time again.

There is a reason that not one single women in the WNBA would even make a D-League team. There is a reason they aren't out there in the big leagues. Or playing football.

That's just the reality of the biological situation. Testosterone helps builds muscles. We get more of it. We are stronger in general.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_world_records_in_athletics

There is a reason for the gap in those records.

Let's see how I can word this. I don't think that this means they aren't 'equal' (though obviously there is that difference) and it's not an excuse to limit them from a wide range of activities, but the gap is there.

We should be fair and understanding of all genders and races, but it's very, very obvious that we aren't "equal."

14. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    I agree there is a reason: sexism.

15. FreeThePeople

FreeThePeople - Rookie -

Isn't biology proof? Why is it sexist that men have a higher capability for muscle growth? I thought in my last long post I used biology to "prove" to you the point (I thought that's what you were trying to get me to do), but the only "proof" you've been saying is that there are some women who are stronger than men. What point are you even trying to get across?

16. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    You haven't used biology. I did. There are five indicators for men, and if you have only some of them, what are you?

17. FreeThePeople

FreeThePeople - Rookie -

I used testosterone as the proof as to why men have more capability for muscle growth.
    Don't chromosomes, genitalia, gonads, hormones and secondary characteristics pretty much go hand-in-hand? Like, it starts with the chromosomes. When sperm meets egg, the chromosomes are determined - XX or XY. We always get an X from the Mom, and either an X or Y from the Dad. From there, everything else develops (straight from Wikipedia):

18. FreeThePeople

FreeThePeople - Rookie -

The sex chromosome is what should be the determinant. However, there is a possibility for ambiguous genitalia:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003269.htm

19. FreeThePeople

FreeThePeople - Rookie -

Soo... There are 2 sexes. But that doesn't mean you have a penis/scrotum or a vagina, as they can be ambiguous. However, as far as I've read, having the Y chromosome still means you get the "male" androgen hormones - high testosterone, low estrogen/progesterone. The hormones seem to be the reason for muscle strength, genitalia aside.

20. lakerswiz

lakerswiz Guest

lol.

I am sorry that testosterone has it out for women.