Gaming: What Are You Playing?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by alam1108, Oct 6, 2014.

1. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    What's crazy is there are videos of Soul's pros who go into that fight with a level 1 character with no gear that wreck Margit without getting hit once. :wasntme:

On the big fights I have no problems calling in help. I summoned two higher level players and they mostly carried me through Margit. If you are playing offline there is a NPC sorcerer you can summon, and be sure to use your Spirit Ash summon to tank most of the aggro. The Jellyfish works well for that.

Helljumper likes this.
  2. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Spirit Ash summons make the game so much easier. I got the Mimic Tear Ash and I pretty much finish every boss on one or two tries. He's almost a cheat code. But you have to be further into the game to get that ash.

Helljumper likes this.
  3. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    Making some progress on Margit, was able to bring him down to about a quarter of his health a few times.

I’m remembering that there are moves that I’m better off blocking than just trying to constantly dodge roll out of the way. Also remembering there is no shame in baiting a boss into a combo that I KNOW how to avoid and safely get a few hits in, slowly chip away.

I had tried to use some of the summons, but had avoided the jellyfish, just felt less intimidating and powerful than the wolves or nobles lol. But good advice, the jellyfish does seem much better at tanking.

Just gotta string together some of these concepts and refine the execution, try to get through the first half of the fight with most of my flasks and THEN summon the jellyfish so I can get some easy hits after Margit pulls out the hammer.

Savory Griddles and TIME like this.
  4. Savory Griddles

It's not a story spoiler, but a tip that you may not want to see. But if you are having trouble with the first boss in the castle, the second one is more difficult, IMO. So...

If you are finding him unbeatable and need to level up and get some more stuff, you can completely bypass the castle to the next zone. There is a path around the outside of the castle.

5. TIME

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    Big patch out today. Changed a lot of stuff. I literally just got Mimic Tear Ash late last night and today they nerfed it. They also nerfed Hoarfrost Stomp which was my my most used attack

6. Helljumper

Student
    Finally took down Margit with ease once I put a few more levels into Endurance so that I could manage a bow and arrow without over-encumbering myself. I had more of a conservative playstyle where I would have distance between us and try to bait him into the attack where he jumps at you, since I know how to dodge that and could get in a few hits safely. Once I realized that from that range if I just hit him with a few arrows too I could overall chip away at his health much more effectively, it wasn’t too difficult. Although even then, I probably would have gotten wrecked had I not gone through so much trial and error to learn the timing of a lot of his combos.

Now that I’m at the castle, I’m having a lot of fun. The open world is cool and all that, but this castle feels like classic Soulsborne!

Savory Griddles and TIME like this.
  7. TIME

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    Yeah, all the castles are done very well in this game. Wait until you get to Lyndel Royal Capital City. The whole city feels like a giant castle.

Helljumper likes this.
  8. Savory Griddles

So I think I'm in the last stage of the game. I am overpowered for the most part. I just fought what was supposed to be a legendary, somewhat end-game enemy. I popped my special flask and killed him holding one spell down for a few seconds. He didn't even touch me.

Helljumper likes this.
  9. Helljumper

Student
    Curious, in retrospect do you feel that you had grinded too much or exploited some rune farming methods that got you overpowered in a way that you now regret? Or did you just naturally become
    overpowered through normal play?

I want to try to strike a balance in my playthrough such that I’m not banging my head up against a difficult boss to the point of frustration, but also don’t want to get so overpowered that later bosses aren’t even intimidating

Savory Griddles likes this.
  10. TIME

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    I've grinded a lot. My guy is now very strong, but I still run into stuff that can kill me if I don't think about what I'm doing.

Savory Griddles likes this.
  11. Savory Griddles

I am now an Elden Lord! I did grind and exploit some Rune Farming areas. Hard to say as to whether or not that helped a ton. At the end I melted some bosses in ten seconds or less. But I don't think it was the rune farming. There are certain combinations as a caster (I was an astrologer) that can absolutely wreck things. Like a properly mixed Wonderous Physick, a nice staff and a certain spell allowed me just to line up the boss and hold down a single button as I burned him alive.

TIME likes this.
  12. TIME

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    Good job Tarnished. Are you going to do a NG+?

I am now in the Mountaintop of the Giants.

13. Savory Griddles

Yes, but I'm grinding Runes right now to buy smithing stones and gloveworts in order to upgrade weapons when I start anew. I will likely switch to melee combat to try something different. I love seeing the dual katana videos, so I might try being a Samurai, but I'll do it with my current character, respecing before I start it.

I like the idea of a dual wielding katana intelligence/dexterity build. And I already have the two best katanas in the game for that fully upgraded to +10. (Meteoric Blade and Moonveil)

TIME likes this.
  14. TIME

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    Just finished Haligtree and Malenia, then the Fire Giant. Starting Crumbling Farum Azula.

15. Savory Griddles

You beat Malenia?!?! She's the one boss I couldn't beat. After trying for hours and being unable to get her past about half health on the second phase, I finally gave up.

TIME likes this.
  16. TIME

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    Yeah, but I summoned help. They distracted her most of the fight and I stood back and blasted her.

Did you take out the Dragon Placudax? Seems unbeatable to me.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2022
  17. TIME

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    I just did the most stupid thing I could do in Elden Ring. I finished Malekith, and went back to the Roundtable to buy some Smithing Stones for the next play through. I interacted with the the Smith and I thought I was BUYING stones, but I was actually SELLING stones. I sold all my high level stones. And there is no buy back feature. :LLLLLebronlaughing:

18. Savory Griddles

Yes. Beat him on my second try. I burned him down from distance to start the fight then spent the rest of the fight underneath him hacking away. I used Black Knife Tiche as my ashen summon.

I have accidentally sold stuff in RPGs so often. The "No Buy Back" option in Elden Ring just seems like one more way for FromSoftware to punish even the smallest mistakes.

TIME likes this.
  19. Helljumper

Student
    I really enjoyed clearing all of Stormveil Castle, ended up finding Godrick much easier than Margit.

Afterwards I explored a lot of the newly unlocked area and got to the door of the Academy but didn’t know what to do with the seal. So ended up exploring south of Limgrave and cleared out that area including Castle Morne. Almost wondered if I was supposed to do that before Margit, because this entire area including all the mini-bosses were pretty easy.

Also explored a good chunk of Caelid (I think that’s what it’s called, the area to the East that seems burned), but I feel like I’m not supposed to go here yet. Went through one of the caves I found there and the mini-boss at the end wrecked me and I could barely put a dent into my damage.

So ended up just exploring more and feel like I’ve got a good chunk of all the sites of grace currently available to me, and figure now I should move forward and figure out how to get to the academy. Was going through my inventory randomly and remembered there was a note by the sealed door that I had never looked at, and I assume this is giving me a clue of where to find the key so I think I have a handle on it.

There really is so much damn content in this game! It’s been inhibiting my progress in Horizon because when I’m tired after work I don’t really want to pick up a game like Horizon that I need to pay attention to the plot. I’d rather just throw on Elden Ring with the intention of playing for a few minutes, finding a new site of grace, clearing a cave/tunnel, etc … and then that inevitably leads to playing for a few hours lol

TIME likes this.
  20. LooN3y

LooN3y - Rookie -

I'm 32 and grew up with Legos, Star Wars, Star Wars Legos and Star Wars Legos Video games.

I'm giddy as hell for the release of new Lego Skywalker Saga with the open world theme.

gonna be playing Original - Prequels - Sequels

TIME likes this.