Game Of Thrones

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by RasAlgethi, Mar 14, 2015.

1. SamsonMiodek

SamsonMiodek - Lakers 6th Man -

Family guy
    My glass half full point of view - after having watched the last few episodes I am pretty certain the actual books will have w cery different plot. If they are ever written that is...

Chillbongo likes this.
  2. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    What characters do you think they’re effing up? Sounds like some of you may have misinterpreted Jamie’s scene, and overstating Ghost’s significance.

alam1108 likes this.
  3. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

Tyrion, Jon, Danny, Bran... for starters. When Jon died, Ghost was his last thought. He guarded his dead body. Saved his life... and couldn't even get a rub behind the ear? Ok.

Savory Griddles likes this.
  4. Helljumper

Student
    I think everything that has happened with Tyrion, Jon, and Dany has been very true to their character arcs. Bran has too, ever since he became the Three Eyed Raven, but I’d understand being frustrated at a lack of payoff for Bran’s story so far.

I think people are making a much bigger deal over Jon not petting Ghost... just assume it happened off screen. That seems to be the main complaint I’ve read so far on this thread.

I can see where people are coming from regarding frustrations with the writing shortcuts, but I strongly disagree with claims that the writers are ruining the characters.

5. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Ghost has been the one constant through everything for Jon. He received him in the first episode of the freaking show. The show also seemed to create this special bond between them over the course of the first few seasons.

I still like the show. I like some of the stuff they're doing. And the problems aren't Last Jedi level problems where it retroactively destroys decades of film. But they are definitely rushing it. And I don't see why? It's not like GoT is a financial burden on HBO. People who typically pirate everything are actually signing up for HBO legally because of this show. Why couldn't they stretch this thing out one more season, or at least make this season 10 episodes. The Long Night could have been two episodes. Cut at the point where The Night King raises the fallen and is staring at Jon. Come back and do more fighting. Give us the scene where Bran tells Arya and Sansa their half brother is actually Aegon Targaryen. Part of building up to moments is the payoff of seeing them. Seeing our characters react to important information that the audience has know for a long time is one of the more satisfying moments in storytelling.[/spolier]

Kenzo likes this.
  6. Helljumper

Student
    Just read the two articles that Weezy said summed up his complaints about this episode.

Might write up something more detailed later, but I strongly disagree with a lot of the points made in those articles.

Although maybe I was a bit biased and turned off from those articles from the beginning since they both pretty much start off by suggesting that
    killing off Missandei
    was racist. That is absurd.

SamsonMiodek likes this.
  7. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

That was the one bit I absolutely didn’t agree with, people always go to far with that stuff these days, I saw no racism.

SamsonMiodek and Kenzo like this.
  8. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

I’m not the sort of person who can turn off my brain and just enjoy something when the quality of the writing goes off a cliff and the characters suddenly don’t act like themselves anymore. Like I really enjoyed LOST as a tv show, but they went off the rails in the last season and really f***** up the ending, and that matters. At least GoT still has 2 episodes to right some things and give us a satisfying conclusion I guess.

9. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

They're rushing the plot and it's showing. They blew their entire budget a few episodes and are leaving so many plot holes along the way.

It was either this, or wait for GRRM to finish the book, but even then, they've already deviated from the book.

Episode 4 was probably the most GOT episode so far funny enough, with the characters running around with secret ploys and unexpected deaths.

I would have rather had this season extended to 14 episodes with a bunch of detail rather than squished into 6. I knew it was going to be like this too...

alam1108 likes this.
  10. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    This was mainly my thoughts after Episode 3 that I wanted to share:

The show has grown so much softer throughout the seasons, it's a bummer in my opinion. Many of the main characters are still just fine and dandy. I mean Jon literally yelling at a dragon, making stupid tactical plays still just some how survives. The shock of Ned's beheading or the Red Wedding, those type of surprises and real pain as an audience member feel like distinct memories. The show instead of being different or bold is moving more toward the normal stereotypical show. The good always winning. I like those kind of endings most of the time, but this show started as something different which made it unique. Now its but a shade of itself. I know we still have two episodes left and things can change but they haven't really given me to much confidence.

I would have loved it and probably would have gone down as one of the most bad a** villian things of all time if the Night King when he turned around and caught Arya (you ain't sneaking up on me) that he then killed her. Now what do you do after that I'm not sure but talk about surprising and gut wrenching....being that close to victory with the wonderful soundtrack hyping that sequence up....That would have been ballsy, unexpected, and spectacular!

Some tweets that I agree with and argue my point of the show being soft:

Last edited: May 7, 2019
    Kenzo, alam1108 and Weezy like this.
  11. Battle Tested20

Technical Data Analyst
    I agree, I wanted Cersia to just kill them all after ghost didn't get the love and admiration he deserved. Such BS!

This was me:

I will only accept this ending now

lol

Apparently this is the reason... (eye roll)

Savory Griddles, alam1108 and Kenzo like this.
  12. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

^ f*** them for that!

13. Savory Griddles

Jon Snow needs to die because of this.

14. Helljumper

Student
    While I don’t like the Ghost farewell, I don’t think I mind it nearly as much as everyone else.

But for the director to come out and admit that it’s because they were cheap on the CGI yet have the nerve to defend it as being more powerful? Laaaame.

alam1108 and SamsonMiodek like this.
  15. Battle Tested20

Technical Data Analyst
    I mean the excuse the writers and creators gave us is just flat out ridiculous. I mean you have Jon riding and petting CGI dragons, episode 3 you had a dead giant pick up Lyanna Mormont. You're telling me you don't have the time or budget to do a kneel down and pat on the head or back of a wolf....GTFO

The cover up is almost worse than the crime.

Last edited: May 7, 2019
    alam1108, Weezy and Kenzo like this.
  16. Chillbongo

Chillbongo - Lakers 6th Man -

GoT seems to have taken a Hollywood turn of late. The show that started off as the exception seems to now be following the Hollywood rules. Condensing has played a big role.

It's a lose-lose for the producers. We're now in season 8. If they kill everyone off - well duh, that was expected. The deaths wouldn't capture the sting of Ned and Catelyn's assassinations. Death now almost feels obligatory. Part of the reason we were enamored with the show is because they robbed us of key characters and story lines. Killing characters in season 8 wouldn't feel like robbery in the same vein. On the flip side, if they don't kill people - we're upset. This is the show that kills everyone. What is this, a happy ending?

Unlike others I was bothered by episode 4 because the plot developments upset me. I was bothered by the outcomes of the story. Just like I was bothered when Cersei kept winning in seasons 2-6. I actually felt like the show runners captured some of Martin's essence by pissing me off with the plot developments:

Perhaps the purpose of Jamie's character arc was to present to viewers as a repenting and redeemable character who tragically reverts to his original self. Viewers are convinced he is on the path to redemption. But now perhaps what we're seeing with Jamie is that he is perpetually corrupt and not redeemable. Jamie turning back to Cersei and proving corrupt would perfectly capture the element of internal conflict so familiar to this series - a page out of Martin's book and definitely against the Hollywood grain.

Meanwhile perhaps Dany's arc is to show that she is no different after all. She who starts off as innocent and so disparate from her family's legacy and reign. She who embarks on this journey of compassion and freeing slaves. She who slowly realizes she is the dragon, the one. The viewers tag along on her journey and witness marvelous feat after feat - we too are convinced she is the one. Yet with her achieved success, she falls victim to the same narcissism and hubris as other monarchs. She ends up lusting for power and even demanding it - when not rightfully hers. She may even "burn them all" at King's Landing. I think this would be a beautiful play on Martin's theme of no good vs evil - only both. The viewers would celebrate Dany's victory in KL only to realize she's done more harm than even Cersei.

17. Savory Griddles

This is sort of an issue I have too. I've had this for a while but was willing to ignore it due to the rest of the show still producing. But......how have the people not revolted against Cersei? She blew up the most holy shrine in the Seven Kingdoms. Like, if Salman of Saudi Arabia blew up Mecca, what do you think the reaction would be? He'd be dead in a day.

18. Helljumper

Student
    I’ve been wondering this for a while. Do the people of King’s Landing know that Cersei blew up the Sept, or did they somehow cover it up?

19. Battle Tested20

Technical Data Analyst
    All the points being made are good. To add on to that I'm not sure why Cersei last episode with Dani, her army, and the dragon right there just didn't go for the kill and used those spear guns on them right there and then. Why wait. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Weezy, Savory Griddles and Chillbongo like this.
  20. Savory Griddles

Dramatic tension trumps realism and logic at this point.
    This scene happened so Missandei could be executed in front of Greyworm and Dany. Zero reason to do it otherwise.

Weezy likes this.