Game Debrief: What Went Right And What Went Wrong?

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by TIME, Oct 27, 2023.

1. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

Why was AD out?

2. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

3. Zoyd Wheeler

Zoyd Wheeler - Rookie -

Agree that the main WRONG was yet another guy elbowing AD in the face, this time knocking him out of the game, no call. Game over at that point.

I want my money back due to the last 3 mins of BS with the clock the Lebron 3 taken away: how many other times have the refs missed these and they stand?

When the Lakers can't get stops the game is just a huge drag for me. This was a huge drag. More and more it looks like we're going to be trying for 9th at best.

I too thought AR was way off his game. No blame.

#Depressing

ElginTheGreat, abeer3 and lakerjones like this.
  4. Zoyd Wheeler

Zoyd Wheeler - Rookie -

I may have missed something in that maddening last 2 mins that lasted 30 mins: the replay to see who touched it last allowed the refs to go back and also see that Bron's heel was on the line, negating the 3? Is that right? That's like the cops pulling you over for some BS reason, then seeing your bong in the backseat and charging you for driving while stoned. I mean C'MON!

Used that analogy for very current, personal reasons.

You say: Man, keep your bong hidden in the car if you're gonna drive all around with it.
    And I say: You're right. But I'ze stoned. And you're not my real dad anyway! So just shut up, Chet!

Gawd, two straight games that just sucked.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2024
    FrontOfJersey22 and abeer3 like this.
  5. VladeD714

VladeD714 - Rookie -

We're not very good?

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  6. FrontOfJersey22

Oof- glad I didn’t watch this one.

7. Juronimo

Juronimo - Lakers Starter -

plays with one's and zero's
    Good: LeBron scored a lot I guess.

Bad: All Star game defense by both teams but ours was worse. Austin was bad. LeBron defends like Soften.

Ugly: WTF was the last 2 minutes of the game? Complete fail by the officials. Ludabrow got hurt.

8. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

Unfortunately, this is true.

Kenzo, VladeD714 and Cookie like this.
  9. FrontOfJersey22

Bueno:
    Congratulations to DLo for tying my second favorite Laker PG of all time.
    I hope someone in the Organization has told him they want him back and he won’t have to worry because Ham is going to get canned.

Malo:
    Two bad teams battled tonight. Both could be pretty good if they learned how to consistently play good defense.
    Darvin going to the 20th Anniversary Celebration of Detroit ending our last dynasty.

10. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 - Lakers All Star -

Good
    Basically everything even Max had a good game

Bad:
    confirms Lakers likely easily beat the Warriors if AD doesn't get hurt

Juronimo likes this.
  11. Zoyd Wheeler

Zoyd Wheeler - Rookie -

Lakers beat 76ers in LA, 101-94 and the game was very close throughout. PHI was scrappin' 'n clawin' without Embiid. Lakers looked rusty and hadn't played since what? February? Feels like it.

What went right:
    The Defense clamped down at points when they really needed it, though they couldn't stop Maxey on some key possessions; kid's just too quick and finishes too well.

AD: 23/19/4 with 4 blocks and two of those blocks were in crunch time and were freaking HUGE.

Even though Cam played 19 in his return from his latest injury and he couldn't hit his two open looks, his defense was good and made a difference. Love watching his defense. Watching him I don't think he's 100% but he gave max effort. Love this kid. Hope he can stay healthy.

Dinwiddie hit 3 3s! And played decent defense.

IND went into Chase Center and beat GSW, so we're 1.5 ahead of them at the moment. (Now we need to beat the Pacers...)

Wrong:
    Lebron threw the ball away at least 4 times. He was off. 38 mins, 20/8/6 on 7 for 15 but 8 TOs. Still: we don't win the game without him.

Game shouldn't have been a tough one, but it was. PHI's defense at times gave us fits, but then again, we were rusty.

PHI got 13 ORBs to our 11, but it felt like they had 13 offensive boards in the first half alone. If it's not AD, other guys need to grab a board now and then. C-Wood could've helped here.

Personal WRONG: happens every game. I don't know when it started. 17 years ago? But at one point it caught on in the NBA, but also in other sports: "Ev-re-bo-dy clap yo hands." It's not a big deal. But if it started 17 years ago, then 15 years ago I was at a game and this guy behind me heard this and said, loudly, "Everybody crap your pants." And his friends - drunks - thought it was the height of hilarity. And now I think of that every time they play that thing over the PA. I can't get it out of my head, to quote ELO.

12. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

Right: AD monster game with nearly a 20/20 plus 4 blocks. We got the W.

Wrong: Sloppy game with 20 plus turnovers for us.

LTLakerFan and Barnstable like this.
  13. Zoyd Wheeler

Zoyd Wheeler - Rookie -

Lakers beat Pacers 150-145 in LA in a frenetic, crazy game that I'd say "felt" like a playoff game but look at the 295 points scored, and there wasn't even OT.

Bueno:
    Lakers' offense. Dinwiddie looks like a godsend of a pickup right about now. Spencer started 'cuz D-Lo has a non-Covid illness. He had 26, as did Bron. Our starting 5 had 122 points.

AD: 40 mins, a lot of it in foul trouble: 36/16, with 2 steals and a block and all kinds of other shots altered. 15 for 21 from the field. Stupendous!

AR: 11 of 12 FTs, 25 pts.

T-Prince gave us a good game after taking a game off for his b-day.

No Bueno:
    Our inability to defend the 3. Our inability to keep small, fast guys from getting to the rack for layups. TJ McConnell, 6'2", played 18 mins, got 17, and they were all paint, or it seemed like it. Lakers were up by 19, then we all blinked and it was 7. McConnell had a lot to do with that. We are really really RILLY bad at containing small, quick guards.

Gawdawful Bad/Wrong/Sucked:
    -NBA TV: AD makes a crucial shot with 55.7 left to put us up by 8 and Carlisle calls TO; then NBA-TV ran an interminable number of commercials. I'm wondering: WTF is goin' on? When it finally gets back to the game, it's timeout Lakers, only 45 secs left and IND had hit a shot. Apparently they hit a shot: I didn't get to see it. Missed 10 secs during the final minute because they needed to get all their commercials in, game be damned, apparently. Could've been a foul and 2 FTs made, the commercial break was that insanely long. Lakers by 6. Muy mal, NBA-TV. Muy mal. It wasn't breaking away at the end of a thrilling game for Heidi, but it was pretty lousy.

Bueno:
    This was a game for any fan of the NBA who doesn't care about defense. Although lots of D was played and some of it really good: the offense of both teams was off the charts. Some incredible plays were made, by both teams. Maybe my favorite came around 2:30 into the game: AD gets the ball on the perimeter with Siakam on him, he quickly spins around Siakam and heads to the hoop like a lightning strike, IND has a guy come over from the weakside to contest, AD goes reverse for the deuce and harm. AD was just unreal this game.

Bueno:
    MIN did us a solid and beat GSW in MIN. We are currently 2.5 over them and 2.5 behind both SAC and DAL, but now we head out on a brutal road trip. HOU has won 8 straight and is only 1 behind GSW now. If HOU overtakes GSW and finishes 10th, knocking GSW out, ya gotta wonder what will happen with that team. I mean GSW.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2024
    TIME, NickthaQuick, JSM and 4 others like this.
  14. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

The Good
    -
    we had a big 4 combine for 113 in this one. Needed every bit of it too. AD continued his dominance of the Pacers (going to need it one more time this week). Spencer stepped up to the challenge and filled that DLO void.
    - we outscored the best scoring team in the league and did so at a more efficient %

The Bad
    - defense. I thought individually we did some really good things. Starts with AD, but also Dinwiddie, Cam and Austin played really good defense at times. But as a collective, we allowed 145 and couldn't slow them down. We let them get way too many good looks from 3 and let little McConnell go wild.
    - no rest. Going into the 4th we had a nice lead. I thought if we put another 7-8 points on that we could steals some rest for Bron and AD. Instead Pacers came roaring back and those two played 38 & 40 minutes.

And finally a new category: Good For Us/Shut the f*** Up Other Team's Coach

I don't get this repeating complaint. It's the same every time. When you take 11 more 3s than us, you're in the paint less. THUS having fewer opportunities at the line. Refs also often reward the more aggressive team.

We got to the line more but I'd argue that AD and Bron each should have gone another 3-4 times each based on no calls.

15. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    Refs suck because it should have been more FTs

16. CarolinaLakerFan

CarolinaLakerFan - Lakers 6th Man -

What went right? Beating Doc, Dame, Giannis and PatBev for the 2nd straight time without Lebron

What went wrong? AD, DLo and Reaves logging over 45 minutes and another game tomorrow

JSM, Cookie, abeer3 and 1 other person like this.
  17. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

Holy smokes. That was straight up the second best game of the year IMO behind the C Bags win. Right - Huge W to get in the Bucks house!! So many guys contributing down the stretch. Some incredible performances and of course AD just dominating with 34 and 23 plus 4 freaking blocks!

Wrong: AD getting banged up and having to play 50 plus minutes. Poor start but wow, we came back.

JSM, Zoyd Wheeler, LTLakerFan and 2 others like this.
  18. KuzmoBall17

KuzmoBall17 - Lakers Starter -

Lakers won 4 in a row for 1- st time this season.
    Hopefully they can squeeze tomorrow win at Memphis

LTLakerFan and lakerjones like this.
  19. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

lol @ beasley talking s*** and then bricking every 3 he took the rest of the way

looked real familiar to last season

JSM, Cookie, abeer3 and 6 others like this.
  20. Mr. Hollywood

Mr. Hollywood - Rookie -

Holy ****! Talk about an emotional roller coaster ride! Still waiting for the adrenaline to subside. This one will certainly rank as one of the greatest comeback wins in Lakers history. Hope everybody can get some rest and recovery and be ready for tomorrow.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2024