Game Debrief: What Went Right And What Went Wrong?

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by TIME, Oct 27, 2023.

1. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

i wouldn't be surprised if the lighting for lakers home games at staples played a part in it. players were already saying it was a tough place to shoot in when the arena first opened. then about 15 years ago or so they changed the lighting so that it's darker in the stands

but then how do you explain opposing teams shooting the lights out there? not to mention the clippers are always a good 3 pt shooting team. it's just a mystery

Zoyd Wheeler, abeer3 and Cookie like this.
  2. PurpleAndGold88

PurpleAndGold88 - Lakers 6th Man -

3. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

exactly. my first thoughts were always about the arena/lighting--something physically different, but that should affect everyone, including and perhaps especially opponents.

rui, i think, was talking about the psychological toll of being wide open with everyone's eyes on you because you're a laker, and that's an interesting point. you'd still think that at least some of these guys would be totally unaffected by this stuff, though. almost nobody comes out unscathed here.

although i will say that the psychological explanation could also help explain why it seems that some bad shooters do better here (low expectations, even more wide open on shots).

4. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Every team gets up to play us though. They see games against us are their NBA Finals, maybe that adrenalin and hype is greater than the distraction of the lights?

Maybe that + the psychological angle of it.

It's truly bizarre. I don't know why someone who covers the team hasn't done an investigative report on it by now.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2023
    abeer3 likes this.
  5. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

maybe even moreso it's gain (vs loss) focus. focusing on how fun it is to beat the lakers vs. worrying about how bad it is when you lose as a laker. my guess is this is the closest to explaining it.

i do think winning as a laker is also more special, though, so once guys get a taste of that, it's possible the gains focus comes back?

reaves strikes me as a real "gains focus" type of guy in general, but i guess i thought most pro athletes were. maybe not. i know it's probably why i was a meh ft shooter.

JSM likes this.
  6. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

Some guys, obviously, are just built different, psychologically. Others, wilt under pressure- whether it be the increased expectations of doing well in a Laker uni, or performing during must win games- either to get into the playoffs or playoff games.
    This is the only thing that has made sense to me regarding this issue.

Juronimo likes this.
  7. Juronimo

Juronimo - Lakers Starter -

plays with one's and zero's
    Here's a case of the George McCloud curse working in reverse.

Trevor Ariza
    https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/trevor-ariza-2009-stats
    regular season: 31.9% from three

https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/trevor-ariza-2009-playoffs-stats
    playoffs: 47.6% from three

Derek Fisher
    https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/derek-fisher-2001-playoff-stats
    51.5% from three! :Kaream Surprise:

Lamar Odom, 2009 playoffs
    https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/o/odomla01/shooting/2009

He went from 32% in the regular season to 51.4% from 3!

So what makes these guys different from everyone else who came over here only to forget how to shoot?

Well using @abeer's theory, opposing players get hyped playing us and shoot better, while our players shoot worse. So what happens in the case of these 3 guys?
    Derek Fisher, Lamar Odom and Trevor Ariza rose to the occasion and everyone else did the opposite, basically @abeer's theory in reverse, thus breaking the George McCloud curse.

There's literally nothing scientific here, I'm as confounded by this as the rest of you.

abeer3, TIME, Slick2021 and 1 other person like this.
  8. Juronimo

Juronimo - Lakers Starter -

plays with one's and zero's
    The other thing interesting in Lamar Odom and Trevor Ariza's case is how bad they shot during the regular season. Fisher has shot over 40% from 3 at least once I believe during the regular season.
    I don't know what to make of this information.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  9. PurpleAndGold88

PurpleAndGold88 - Lakers 6th Man -

Jordan Clarkson is in the Building

TIME likes this.
  10. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

Lol..Captain Crunch

TIME, Cookie and PurpleAndGold88 like this.
  11. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Trying to get attention because his strong play isn't

TIME, abeer3 and PurpleAndGold88 like this.
  12. FrontOfJersey22

AD fully engaged from the tip off
    LeBron able to rest
    Austin(still not a PG) Reaves taking care of the ball
    Max getting some good burn(bittersweet because of Cam’s issue)
    DLO’s shooting back on track

Hambone putting Reaves back in the game with 5:00 to go and us up 30+
    THT still only having ONE effective offensive move( his off the dribble padding has improved, though)
    The floor
    Hambone not helping JHS’ confidence by refusing to put him on the floor in a 30 point blowout

TIME, abeer3, lakerjones and 2 others like this.
  13. FrontOfJersey22

WTF?
    :Laugh:

sirronstuff, Cookie and LTLakerFan like this.
  14. Zoyd Wheeler

Zoyd Wheeler - Rookie -

I think Hood-Schifino was listed as under the weather. Of roster players, only he and Vando DNP, but I thought we were allowed to have 15 roster players and not only 12? There's only 12 listed for right now that I saw. I didn't get a good look at the bench (TNT feed) to see who was actually suited up.

This was the kind of game you'd want to see Hodge/Fudge/Castleton all get 10 mins of PT. What a snooze-fest. But I count that as "good" of course.

The Bad:
    Cam straining the groin. What a drag. Hope he doesn't miss too many games; he was starting to gel in the starting 5.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2023
    abeer3, Cookie and lakerjones like this.
  15. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 - Lakers All Star -

was this is back 2 back for Utah? Lakers totally obliterated them and they got some decent players on that team including guards who normally should have a green light against Dlo/REaves,e tc

abeer3 and Zoyd Wheeler like this.
  16. Zoyd Wheeler

Zoyd Wheeler - Rookie -

No. They lost a 2OT game to PHO 2 days ago. Not a BTB. This was a freak game.

It was nice to jump out to a 30-12 lead with 55 secs left in the 1st Q, which was a real flipped script for us. Up 21 at the half.

I have a feeling we'll wish we could have used some of these points for our BTB game tomorrow vs. DAL.

Cookie, abeer3 and Pioneer10 like this.
  17. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 - Lakers All Star -

This was the first time the Lakers have reminded me of that Bubble year start when they were something like 24-3 and were totally annilhating teams to the point that Lebron was given out his shoes before the game was over. They had some blowout last year when a player got hot but this was a total our team is just better than you across the board feel to it

FrontOfJersey22, TIME, Cookie and 2 others like this.
  18. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

The good - so great to see a 30 point blowout win with Lebron and AD sitting the whole 4th quarter. Should be rested for tomorrow's game vs. Dallas. The return of Dlo's shot,7-9! AD 26 points in 29 minutes - dominant. Reaves great stuff as well. Lakers clinch the division win for the tourney undefeated 4-0.

The bad - Cam going down.

The ugly - Prince's offense. Yikes. One for 11 last game, one for 8 this game. He really needs to go to the bench.

TIME and abeer3 like this.
  19. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    We are now .5 positive in total point differential. I think for the 1st time this season and it only took a 32 pt beatdown of the Jazz:Laugh:

abeer3 likes this.
  20. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

i might call that the "webber/peja effect". why? those are two guys who failed so hard on big stages that they eventually shook it off and played better, with my explanation being once you've experienced enough failure, you're not afraid of it anymore, and you focus on gains instead of losses. peja in game 7 against us: what if i miss? in the 2011 playoffs with dallas: what if i make it?!

this is why i still hold some hope for dlo. he's been so putrid in the playoffs several times now, maybe he shakes the fear of being bad (because it already happened and he's not dead).

the 40 pt beat down to the freaking houston rockets looms large over a 15 game sample, as does this win.

as far as the good/bad:

good:
    AD in the paint on both ends (no blocks but they should keep a stat on how many guys beat their man then wet their pants and passed back to a covered perimeter player)
    rest for lebron/AD
    finally catching a break with an opposing team not playing its best game against us
    wood got his offense working a bit

oh, and i watched on TNT and could tell reggie miller was just stewing in our good performance all night. he was pissed. he was ready to trashtalk AD and the lakers except lebron, and he got absolutely nothing to work with other than gleeful speculation on reddish's injury. eat it, reg.

bad:
    cam injury (we're starting to get really thin at guard)
    relatedly, max's three ball is still MIA, and we're going to need him to hit those in the coming weeks--i think it's a confidence thing with him
    we once again saved a rare non-putrid shooting night for a bad opponent at home
    prince being bad on both ends