Feedback For Business Idea

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by davriver209, Apr 21, 2019.

1. davriver209

davriver209 - Rookie -

Police Officer
    Hey guys, with Lakers news being on the slow end of things, I thought I'd roll this thread out to you guys. I would really like some feedback, concerns, and maybe even some harsh (but constructive) criticism.

So I had this idea rolling in my head for awhile. I am an individual who loves the instant relief that cracking you back and other joints bring. I loved going to the Chriopractor at least once a week, two if possible. (And I have a middle-class income). But due to most insurances not being really on-board with this treatment, I was only granted 35 visits, with a 20 dollar co-pay.

Now, I find myself at our local flea-market getting my back, neck and fingers cracked by this mexican gentlemen who I'm sure doesn't have any type of business license, didn't go to any college, and doesn't have any certificates. He has regular clientele and charges 40 a session. He also does all these other massages and suction cup techniques that I'd rather not explain. Needless to say, I go mostly for the instant back relief that cracking my back and neck provides.

I was thinking, what if I create a mobile business, that provides the back, neck and other joint cracking services without all the doctor mumbo-jumbo, no insurance and no other crazy massage or curing meathods. I would do an initial assesment, nothing crazy just make sure the're not too fragile, and see if they had any previous injuries. Have them sign a waiver, of course. If they decide to sign, provide the services, charge them and be on my way to the next client.

It's not a detailed business model or plan, but its the general idea of what I was thinking. Get a business license, get some type of liability insurance, and while I try to advertise, don't come off as a doctor, but just a person who provides these services directly to your home?

I did some research, and I can't find anything that says I can't do this. So like I stated, I would really love thoughts? Ideas? Feedback?

Oh, and just so you know, I do know the techniques to pop backs, necks, fingers, and legs. It's something I do for multiple family members and friends daily when we see each other

sirronstuff and trodgers like this.
  2. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    I despise licensing, as it provides obvious barriers to entry for those who have skills but not wealth.

If you can find a way to do it legally and at the rate you're looking for, I say go for it. There's a growing interest in this sort of thing, especially among aging athletes. Like foam rolling, rolfing, cupping, and physical adjustments...I'd just be terrified about the insurance aspect of it, especially if you're in California.

LTLakerFan and sirronstuff like this.
  3. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Making you asset free AND happy by 2030
    Yeah, California is huge on licensing. Just to become a licensed massage therapist, their requirements are typically double anything else across the rest of the country.

At it's core, the licensing program has consumers' interest at heart. If anyone could go around twisting necks without training, some could end up paralyzed or dead. One unhappy customer, and you are toast. Nobody tells on the fleamarket guy for some reason, but if you go mobile, and if you dare to throw a logo on your vehicle, your life is basically over. (My perspective) People sue for anything and get away with it. All someone has to do is "claim" they were affected negatively by your treatment, and you'll be spending more time in court and more money paying for lawyers than you can fathom. It's very sad.

From a purely business perspective, what your guy charges works with low overhead, no insurance, no licensing, etc. Typically a mobile business that requires training would have to charge much more, but especially in the state of CA. If you were to call and check on the rates of local service businesses of trades, you'll get an idea of what it takes to account for typical business overhead, continuous training, depreciation of your vehicle, maintenance costs, advertising, answering service, etc, etc.

Now if it's a side gig after you're done with your regular work, you could set up a false second identify, use a fake address, have people call you Tibo, and let the word spread organically about your service offerings. Drive a beater car with working AC, give good results, and come up with a great backstory about when you came to the US. If you don't look too successful, and clients are only referred, you would lessen the likelihood of someone coming after you for frivolous lawsuits. Taking clients only by referral would also add an extra layer of protection since now they have to think about the person who referred you no longer being able to receive services either.

Just my $0.02

LTLakerFan and trodgers like this.