DRAFT TALK Thread: Looking Like Lonzo

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by Lakerman JSJ, May 9, 2017.

1. Lakerman JSJ

Lakerman JSJ Moderator Staff Member

I get the case you're making, but not sure about "everyone wants Ball". I think he's kind of a polarizing prospect. Fultz is viewed almost unanimously as the #1 almost sure thing prospect in this draft. Ball has arguably the highest ceiling and also the lowest floor of any of the top prospects in this draft. If Fultz somehow drops in our lap at #2, you take him & laugh all the way to the bank, IMO.

abeer3 and trodgers like this.
  2. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    Not everyone wants Ball, or he'd be the consensus top pick. He's not, so not everyone wants him.

LTLakerFan, Lakerman JSJ and abeer3 like this.
  3. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers Legend -

I get that too but honestly dont think much of this class either, as deep as it may be i dont see anyone being great, if fultz non chalant attitude is true than we'd have 2 of these types leading us (dlo) that cant be good for winning

4. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers Legend -

Ok but what im saying is why not get assets and ball? If fultz falls due to jackson, hes probably not as good as bos had hoped

5. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

what they said. pretty sure boston already knows they're taking fultz, though.

therealdeal and Lakerman JSJ like this.
  6. KRL

KRL - Lakers 6th Man -

Makes tons of sense for C Bags to draft Fultz. They're going to steal Hayward in FA and he'll be their SF for the next 5 yrs.

7. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers Legend -

I shouldve said most HERE want ball, not the rest of the league

8. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers Legend -

They can only sign him for 4 yrs

9. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

I think it's safe to say most of Los Angeles wants Ball, even those that never seen him play.

10. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

If we take him and he's merely really, really good .... Showtime again baby. With what Magic, Rob, Luke and Kobe have in mind in building the team and pieces already in place and in motion.

Toklat and tada like this.
  11. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

I think even if the Lakers had the Number 1, they would still take Ball based on fit.

Don't get me wrong, I think Fultz is the best all around talent in the draft, but my concern for him is his mental makeup.

Lakers are still in a grey area of finding an identity for themselves. Russell has the swagger, but he's not much of a leader. Ingram has so much potential, but it may take awhile before he really breaks from his shell. Randle has the physical tools to be dominant, but he needs work in a lot of areas.

Why I prefer Ball or even Fox are their ability to lead and bring an energy to the floor that would really bring a team together. They have high work rates and it really translates to the team, which is something we desperately need.

Which is why Fultz and Jackson are below those two, despite them having higher ceilings with their makeup. I think someone as talented as Fultz should be able to lead his team to more than 9 wins. A lot of the games I watched of him, he showed immense skill, but would then lose focus and didn't recover. Jackson had his off court issues, which obvious didn't affect what happened on the court, but that type of distraction is not what this team needs.

Weezy, tada, TIME and 2 others like this.
  12. KRL

KRL - Lakers 6th Man -

"MAGIC 8 BALL"

translation .... legacy

MAGIC > KOBE > BALL

sirronstuff likes this.
  13. LTLakerFan

Top Poster Of Month

And Barnstable with the gift of seeing the future in advance >>> LakersBall

:Crazyartest:

sirronstuff and therealdeal like this.
  14. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    I don't make a choice until I see the workout. If Fox works Ball, why the hell would you draft Ball? Same question, different way. If you have two guys you like, why not see if someone wants the pick and move back a little?

Khmrp likes this.
  15. KRL

KRL - Lakers 6th Man -

Missed the segment this morning but Luke was on the DP show. Said him and Lakers will talk to Alford about Lavar Vall

16. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

17. LTLakerFan

Top Poster Of Month

I'll believe it when I read about it that Fox works out against Ball. Isn't all we have heard so far more of Lavar bumping his gums? Where is Lonzo's agent and his opinion if the Lakers are Lonzo's dream? Why would you risk that? Maybe Fox's camp does it if he really wants to be a Laker?

In back of my head I am wondering how much there was to the spin after the 2nd game against Kentucky that Lonzo's hammy wasn't 100%. Is this why Lavar is so willing?

As well this can't just be one on one, they'd have to do at least 3 on 3 since passing is Lonzo's primary game. Still don't recall reading ever about top lottery picks agreeing to work out against one another but maybe someone else has.

18. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

This is well said. I think Fultz has immense talent but if he can't pick up his college kids to more than 9 wins, can he affect the win column in the NBA? Even Simmons in a very similar situation won 19 games. That's a big concern to me given our young guys already have trouble affecting the win column.

It all comes down to the workouts and interviews. I need to see and hear all the right things. I need a competitor and a winner. Right now Fox and Ball come closest to those two goals. Fultz can change my mind in private workouts but there's serious red flags with him.

Weezy, tada and lakerfan2 like this.
  19. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

20. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    The individual and 1v1 workouts should factor in the decision, but I would put more weight on reviewing their season recordings. If you are drafting a player for what he can accomplish in an ISO situation, then the workouts and especially the 1v1 should carry even more weight. I would expect Fox to shine more in that situation due to his speed/quickness. But, Ball's strengths are going to be more obvious in a 5v5 setting.

I'll use an old school analogy. The Lakers were wavering between drafting Magic or Moncrief. If they had them workout 1v1, I would expect Moncrief to show better because he was quicker and a much better one on one defender than Magic. But put Magic in a 5v5 situation and he effected the entire team more than Moncrief ever would.

I'm not saying disregard the workout. Subtle things can be picked up in those situations. But, I would not make the workouts my deciding factor.

shoe, tada, lakerfan2 and 1 other person like this.