Disabled Player Exception: Your Target

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by trodgers, Oct 24, 2014.

1. Gangsterbomb

Gangsterbomb - Rookie -

Poor University Student
    Isn't DJO more of a shooting guard than anything else? He's 6'3 and can catch+shoot but was not much of a playmaker at all when I was still keeping tabs on him.

I like Casper Ware more than DJO, but he isn't a true point either. Can be kind of an iso player, which makes no sense for this team either as off the bench, Nick Young will be hoisting up his shots, while Clarkson takes similar shots as Ware does (and has more upside).

I just think this team needs a playmaker really badly off the bench. It doesn't necessarily need more scoring at all since Young + Randle + R. Kelly + Davis/Hill, provide adequate firepower for a bench unit imo. The problem is the organization of how the players are spaced, which is why the bench needs an actual playmaking point to put all the pieces together (this is why Lin + 2nd unit has outperformed the 1st unit this preseason imo).

The problem with finding a playmaking point is that most of the PGs out in the FA market don't have playmaking ability. If they did they'd be in the league... Most FAs are either good defenders who can't score, or they're PGs who can score decently but do nothing else (Siva is another guy in this category).

That's why I like Togashi for this team, since he actually has playmaking skills. The obvious problem with him is that he's 5'7... But playmaking is the rarest ability out of scoring/defense skillsets, so why not give him a flyer? DJO + Ware + Siva have already had their shots in the league anyway and haven't panned out. Why retread with them when we know what they give?

Either way, I think Togashi is going to be on the D-League Mavericks team, so if he balls out in there, the Lakers could draft him iirc (according to D-League rules).

2. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I've watched Casper for years and I can say honestly that he's more of a two than one, sure. But he's still a lot better than Togashi. Ware has the ability to score, shoot, and defend effectively. Not bad for a 3rd string player. The problem is his size at 5'9".

Now if that's a problem at 5'9", how is Yuki going to look out there? Yuki doesn't have the athleticism of Muggsy Bogues or Nate Robinson or even JJ Barea. Remember what Andrew Goudelock looked like? That was rough. And I like Goudelock.

I think Casper is a decent fit for us, but I know I'm biased. I'd probably opt for Craft or Boobie Gibson honestly. Gibson for his familiarity with Scott and his versatility as a PG/SG. Craft because it's incredibly difficult to find defenders on the wing and having Lin, Price, and Craft as a PG rotation means other PGs know they're in for a long, long night.

3. fabfourlakers

fabfourlakers - Lakers Starter -

Here's a few names to throw out from each team that we can potentially get via trade with the disabled player exception...all of these guys make less than $5MM and we should be able to get them straight up without adding any salary to the deal:

Atlanta: Demarre Carroll
    Boston: Will Bynum, Tyler Zeller
    Brooklyn: AK47
    Charlotte: Bismack Biyombo
    Chicago: Mike Dunleavy, Kirk Hinrich
    Cleveland: none
    Dallas: Raymond Felton
    Denver: Timofey Mozgov, Darrel Arthur, Nate Robinson
    Detroit: Jonas Jerebko
    GS: Marresse Speights, Harrison Barnes (gotta attach a first round pick though)
    Houston: none
    Indiana: Luis Scola, Chris Copeland, CJ Watson, Rodney Stuckey
    LAC: Carlos Delfino, Jordan Farmar
    Memphis: Kosta Koufos
    Miami: None
    Milwaukee: Brandon Knight (will def need to attach first round pick), Kendal Marshall (still upset we let him go), Jared Dudley
    Minny: JJ Barea, Mo Williams (we CANNOT acquire Brewer as he's not expiring, and we cannot acquire Budinger as he makes 5MM)
    New Orleans: John Salmons, Austin Rivers
    NYK: Samuel Dalembert, Jason Smith, Travis Outlaw, Iman Shumpert (need to throw in a pick)
    OKC: Nick Collison, Reggie Jackson (first round pick thrown in)
    Orlando: Ben Gordon, Luke Ridnour, Tobias Harris (gotta throw in first round pick), Mo harkless, Anthony Randolph, Andrew Nicholson, Evan Fournier
    Philly: Luc Mbah a Moute, Alexey Shved, MCW (first round pick), Eric Maynor
    Phoenix: Gerald Green (first round pick attached), anthony tolliver, Alex Len
    Portland: Thomas Robinson, Dorell Wright, Joel Freeland, CJ McCollum, Meyers Leonard, Steve Blake
    Sacramento: None
    San Antonio: Danny Green, Marco Bellinelli, Cory Joseph
    Toronto: Tyler Hansborough
    Utah: Jeremy Evans
    Washington: Andre Miller, Kevin Seraphin

4. southbaylakers72

southbaylakers72 - Rookie -

Iman Shumpert is an interesting name

5. fabfourlakers

I think if we're looking at realistic options at the 3 spot, guys like Mbah a Moute, Jonas Jerebko, Jared Dudley, Dorell Wright, John Salmons and Travis Outlaw come to mind.

For PG, jj barea, luke ridnour, eric maynor, and ANDRE MILLER (very realistic) come to mind.

For bigs, i think Hansborough, Seraphin, T-Rob, Koufos, and Darrel Arthur are realstic. There are some nice names on here though that we really need to explore. I would definitely be on the phone with a team like Denver who has an emerging big in Nurkic lurking in the back, and they have a glut of bigs...with Mozgov, McGee, Nurkic, Arthur, Faried, AND Hickson all on the roster.

I think a guy like Andre Miller could be really good for this team...and he's very realstically attainable.

6. DjBelvedere

DjBelvedere - Rookie -

Mo Williams would help this team a lot. Solid 3 point shooting, veteran guard, crafty and more reliable than Price. I'm not sold on Price yet but it's too early for that I guess. I think we wait until January and see if we have some shot at the playoffs. But well ... with our injury "luck" we might need a trade sooner than later.

7. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

I'm confused about what we can and cannot do with the nearly $5 million and "exemption" from Nash. Thought I read that it could not be used in a trade. But if it can..... is it just a one for one and not in a bigger, more personnel trade?

What exactly please can we do with it? Then what does the team that gets it do with it? Please excuse my complete ignorance on this matter.

8. therealdeal

@LTLakerFan - The exemption can be traded but only for ONE player whose contract is EXPIRING. It can't be combined though with any other assets I believe.

9. LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life - Rookie -

10. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

You don't use a $4.7M Exception on an undrafted player...sheesh.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  11. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

again, if we're considering togashi (who's a novelty act, imo), mekel--the guy whom the mavs considered much better after taking a look at both--seems realistic.

most of the guys on the list posted either aren't guys who are set to be dumped or don't fill a need. for example, the wiz aren't looking to dump andre miller. I wonder whether the lakers add a pg via minimum and save that exception for when a big might become available later in the season.

12. LALakersFan4Life

I think the Lakers like the mix up with the young heads with the old heads. If the Lakers really do want to sign a PG. I'm sure Byron wants a veteran to back up Jeremy. Veteran who knows the Princeton offense is a plus. Maybe Gilbert Arenas, Baron Davis or Daniel Gibson? Those 3 knows the Princeton

13. davriver209

davriver209 - Rookie -

Police Officer
    three injury prone PG's... Come on man, we need a PG to stay on the floor.

14. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

I hope Arenas inclusion was a joke.

sirronstuff likes this.
  15. LALakersFan4Life

16. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

God, please no.

17. fabfourlakers

I didn't think about the Wizards situation...I guess they have no reason to give up Andre Miller as they don't have another viable back up PG on the roster...

Why would JJ Barea go back to Dallas? They have Jameer Nelson, Devin Harris, AND Raymond Felton already. Actually, come to think of it, I could see Dallas handing us Felton for that exception....but I don't really want Fat Felton on this team.

18. CaCHooKa Man

CaCHooKa Man Administrator: Media Staff Member

19. therealdeal

:D

Honestly though I don't know if I'd even mind at this point. At least he'd be entertaining right? Nah... What am I saying? Give me Craft or Ware first.

20. Coyote

Coyote - Rookie -