Disabled Player Exception: Your Target

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by trodgers, Oct 24, 2014.

1. LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life - Rookie -

I'm sure Steve would be happy to be traded to either New York or Toronto.

2. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

Trade his expiring contract asap.

3. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

Unless it's for a star player or other expirings, I'd rather have the cap space in 2015.

ElginTheGreat and trodgers like this.
  4. SFGOLDRUSHER

SFGOLDRUSHER - Lakers Starter -

Master Optimist.
    Why and whom would want his expiring contract? Also why would we not hopefully try and get half of his salary used towards the DPE,bringing in someone close to 5 mill a year contract year player from a team that is trying to unload him to sign or is bringing in someone else in a 3 team trade for picks?

5. lakerfan2

The why and who is a team looking to free up a nasty contract for Nash's 9M expiring for the 2015 Free Agent class that we are all coveting right now.

6. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

John Ireland brought up the point that we could combine his expiring to take on a larger contract from a disgruntled star. Rondo was one he brought up, but another was Deron Williams. There's others, but those were his first two ideas.

Risks for us obviously, but an idea.

7. lakerfan2

And if we can package Wes in any trade, it's a plus.

8. SFGOLDRUSHER

Master Optimist.
    @lakerfan2 ... So we get rid of him for the year and bring in a nasty contract to use up our cap space that weve been strategically been keeping open? I dont think Mitch is that stupid.

@therealdeal ... I keep hearing whispers(I cant remember the last time ive watched him play) that hes regressed with Williams. Just looked up his stats so far this year and his AVG's are 20-7, @49%.

As far as Rondo, only way I do it is if he agrees to take a team friendly extension and we know for sure the move is going to bring in another star this off season, thats attracted to the fact to come play with Kobe and Rondo. IF Randle can become that strong inside presence were golden to bring in a dominant wing, if not than than he needs to be traded for one and we sign a dominant type of big man.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  9. lakerfan2

@SFGOLDRUSHER The only kind of nasty contracts Mitch will be willing to take on is from a star. I was being half sarcastic about using Nash's expiring as a way to get rid of Wes. If we can guarantee ourselves a star by trading Nash's contract, Mitch would strongly consider it even if it means dipping into the 2015 cap.

10. XXIV

XXIV - Rookie -

The only way we trade him is if we get a star player in return, but Nash alone can't net us anyone close to a star player. We also don't have the picks to add and the only great prospect we have is Randle who's out for the year. The Lakers office can try to move him but I think he'll end up staying here to finish up his contract.

11. pound4pound

pound4pound - Lakers Starter -

as much as i'd love to see it, i can't really see another team taking Nash off our hands

12. SFGOLDRUSHER

Master Optimist.
    @lakerfan2 - But why would the team want to get rid of their "Star player" lol. Only way that happens IMO is if we throw in is our 1st&2nd round picks plus players that have trade value like Randle,Lin etc.

I just dont think chances are great but ofcourse you do never know, but I think you use his 4.7/ 4.8 or whatever itll be to bring in someone on a contract year thats a trash type of contract for some picks to be able to use as ammo/ and,or continue bringing young talent. Just my opinion.

13. SR05

SR05 - Rookie -

i wouldn't be against quincy miller. less minutes for wes would be great

LaVarBallsDad likes this.
  14. lakerfan2

Who knows, a team looking to start over in Free Agency because the "star" isn't playing up to potential, when in actuality, they just need to be paired with another star.

See Pau for Kwame trade. They took on Kwame's expiring who was basically useless + others (Marc Gasol) for Pau. At first, it seemed like a lopsided trade, but in the end, it worked out. Yes, we may need to throw in that Houston pick, or even Clarkson, but usually it's worth it.

I don't know who that would, but Mitch is the man with the wand.

15. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

wands aside, there might be opportunities to get picks or young players with upside in return for helping some avoid the tax (or lower their tax bill). I'd have to look at some candidates, but this sort of thing has happened before.

the only way the lakers get a star-level player for nash is if the player in question a) is a FA this summer and b) informs his team that he won't be staying there under any circumstance. even then, some teams might up the ante enough for a shot at said player to price the lakers out of the market.

therealdeal likes this.
  16. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Sick of Wesley; hope he impresses and beat out Wes for his spot.

BadCoaching likes this.
  17. raviator

raviator - Rookie -

Definitely wouldn't mind Miller signing with us. The way he can attack off the dribble is way more than what Wes can do and we definitely need some else who can attack the paint and create their own shot.

But question: say we do sign Quincy which may not be a bad thing as some said, who do we cut to open up roster space because as of now are at 15? Or can we just place Nash in the IR and that frees up a space? I'm always confused as to how injury rules work and how they count against roster space.

18. therealdeal

or c) a team has a bloated payroll and is looking to lower their cap for the summer or even rebuild completely.

That's where the Williams idea came from with John Ireland I believe. I don't a ton of stock into it, but it makes some outside sense if Brooklyn really starts struggling again and they don't look like they'll be able to contend.

19. thkthebest

thkthebest Administrator Staff Member

This might be true for a regular owner, but the Nets owner is a bit different. The Nets supposedly lost $144 million last year, which is insane.

When asked about it, he responded with:

http://www.thescore.com/nba/news/621345

Edit: But if he has common sense, he should be thinking about dealing some of his players. Lol. I don't think he'll do it for salary cap reasons though.

20. therealdeal

I agree, it's just the example I had heard. I can't think of any others off the top of my head, but that one makes some sense. Especially if they do it because they realize the team they've constructed has no hope of winning a Championship so they start over.