D'Angelo Russell Discussion: All Time Lakers Season 3 Point Shooter

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by The Original 81, Jun 25, 2015.

1. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    Bad fit with Boron

LTLakerFan likes this.
  2. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

Well, that was a nice game, right?

lakerjones and LTLakerFan like this.
  3. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

It was. I did expect him to demand the ball a little more at the end there.

4. ADKOBE

ADKOBE - Lakers 6th Man -

D lo did his part its the other 2 starters that were 2 for 15 from 3, felt bad for wasting a great performance

5. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    Wasted effort

ADKOBE likes this.
  6. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

I haven't seen a Laker that confident in their shot, while putting up a high volume, since Kobe.

Gotta keep this guy.

7. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

perfect offensive fit with lebron and AD, imo. and good piece to keep with AD going forward. need to lock up.

8. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

He did everything he could last night.

Definitely looked like the guy I had hoped he would develop into way back when we drafted him.

JSM, FrontOfJersey22, abeer3 and 4 others like this.
  9. pika1708

pika1708 - Lakers Starter -

I like him for sure and we have to sign him.

But I'm eyeing Dejounte joining as a FA when LeBron leaves. So it would be to a contract that works. They can make a nice pairing too and Dejounte can be unleashed as the leader. AD doing his thing. We have to re-sign AD too.

Atlanta is a bad fit and makes all sense Dejounte controls his own destiny. He will be 28 and will sign a max anywhere. I think it's better for him than the supermax to stay in Trae's shadow in a mediocre team.

LeBron is the tricky piece. He will have to reject his 50M player option. Not sure he's chaising some earnings record. It's all about legacy for him. But I think the Lakers will not give him another contract. He has beaten the record and will play at least this and next season. If we win, he leaves at a high. If we lose, is too many years for only 1 chip, he's aging and it's time to move on. Hopefully Bronny gets selected until then and he goes join him. Probably in the Cavs

Regarding AD, I think he establishes as this type of player. Dominant in spurts during the season. Can anchor your defense and give you solid offense. Has two lengthy absences and can't give you 20 straight games but finishes the season with around 50 games on 23/11/2blks for the next 4 years. You build the team around his depth so you keep being competitive without him and dominant with him.

Hopefully we are in the race for Dejounte, would be a good sign for the franchise

10. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

11. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

That is great news!

12. fabfourlakers

fabfourlakers - Lakers Starter -

This is the guy that we hoped he'd become when we drafted him.

He's a near perfect fit with LeBron and AD.

He also comes with A LOT less drama than Kyrie.

Re-sign him over the summer and do not think twice.

13. fabfourlakers

fabfourlakers - Lakers Starter -

Also important to note that the Mavs haven't exactly blown the doors off of the league since getting Kyrie.

In fact, they've got a losing record with him, and hes' also been in and out of the lineup with little knick knack injuries.

14. SamsonMiodek

SamsonMiodek - Lakers 6th Man -

Family guy
    The only thing worse than signing Kyrie would be giving the max to Draymond. I am pretty sure the Lakers have learned from their previous mistakes and should like what they are seeing now though, which allows me to be optimistic on that one.

Hopefully DAR doesn't have some crazy demands and we can afford him while keeping most of the current squad. They are just so enhoyable to wantch, especially compared to the disaster of a roster we had to endure for nearly 2 seasons.

15. D-Fish Man

D-Fish Man - Lakers 6th Man -

Let's wait and see how he does in the post-season. Personally, I think playoff performance is what separates the mice from the men. I would take one Trevor Ariza (2009 version obvs) over 5 young promising players who haven't proven they can handle the pressure of crunch-time minutes in a playoff series. Russel's game is very promising, but he hasn't done jack to distinguish himself in the post-season and until then, the jury's still out.

Wino, sirronstuff and FrontOfJersey22 like this.
  16. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

Nah... it's because you know SOMETHING and don't want to share. Spill the beans!!!

sirronstuff likes this.
  17. D-Fish Man

D-Fish Man - Lakers 6th Man -

LOL. I assure you I'm being objective about this. I just want what's best for the team (i.e. not signing long-term contracts with players who crumble in the big moments).

As for my own history with D-LO, it was clearly a mistake for me to open my big mouth on here. Who am I but some anonymous internet poster, and what right do/did I have to slander the kid with vague innuendo? Nothing's changed. I learned what I learned. But I regret saying anything because it distracts from the guy's play, which is really all that should matter to us.

Now that he's a Laker again, I'm just rooting for him to succeed like everyone else. I want this to work. I want a real PG who can knock down 3s like a stone-cold killer. I'd just like to see him do it in the playoffs before I get the "SIGN THIS GUY RIGHT NOW!!!" fever that has swept this board as well as all my text-chains.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2023
  18. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

19. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

i'm fine with bringing him back just because he's the best option at PG this team has had since........van exel?

FrontOfJersey22 likes this.
  20. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers All Star -

I think this the perfect situation for Dangelo's homecoming. The stage is set for him to excel bigtime with this roster. He was having a career year in Minnesota this season stats wise, 17.9 pts and 6 ast, with a .465 fg % and .391% from 3. This is a small sample size with the Lakers granted(6 games), but he's upped those numbers here....19.2 pts, 6.2 ast with a .532 fg% and an amazing .472% from 3, in less minutes! That's a very efficient offensive player, and he's going to be the 3rd option when Lebron gets back. The biggest thing for me, is the short term fit with Lebron, and potential long term fit with AD. This is the type of PG Lebron prefers to play with, a guy that will not have a problem giving up the rock when he wants it, but is also able to make shots at a reliable clip off of his action. It's going to take him a minute to figure out how to play with Lebron, as far as where are the best spots on the floor to get his shots, and when he should initiate his own action, but I think he's going to do well as the 3rd option.

Long-term...I think AD can play with any guard that can score and get him the ball. The Lakers are going to be a serious problem for any team, in any round, if the old man comes back reasonably healthy. The defense won't be stellar with those two, that's why I'd start Jarred and Troy, but offensively, we will be as good as the best(probably at least top 3) in the League.

All that being said, I just don't see Dangelo taking a pay cut though, Jeannie is going to have to cough up the cash to keep him. If he plays like I think he will though, that shouldn't be an issue.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2023
    D-Fish Man and karacha like this.