D'Angelo Russell Discussion: Opted In!

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by The Original 81, Jun 25, 2015.

1. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    I think it has more to do with the PGs in the West. The game is changing (or the flavor of the month changed) and we are adapting.

TIME and puffyusaf#2 like this.
  2. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

Look I'm really entertained by how Smith expressed his displeasure at New York and Jackson. It's just comedic theater how he conducts himself. Now Smith may be given to hyperbole but if he reports that multiple NBA personnel evaluators are saying that Russell is a special player then I am intrigued. Only time will tell...if it is indeed a smart pick. I really can't formulate an opinion until I see him play.

thkthebest likes this.
  3. Ryanwestlombardi

Ryanwestlombardi - Rookie -

Retired
    We will see, I see it as 3 big risks, Skeptical but with an open mind. I'm a play it safe kind of guy..and this ain't playing it safe. My hats off to them if it turns out. This is the scene that will make or break Mitch and Jim. Russell and Nance got to have value or their screwed.

4. gcclaker

Yep, Legler and Rose have praised the pick... Legler is normally a cynic...with an old-school mentality. Does not cater to flash, no bs stuff.

Lakerman JSJ and thkthebest like this.
  5. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

I think the plan is to play Russell at the point with Clarkson at his natural SG spot. I'd assume Clarkson will stay at the point for now though so Russell can come off the bench and learn from Kobe

6. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Ah ok, I get you now. I was genuinely asking what your main point in that post was, my brain is fried from today (and I literally was drinking during the draft lol) and I could not read it and sort it out properly for some reason. I agree Stephen A is over the top comedy (Kwa-May BROWN), and that if people he talked to did gush about Russell that is interesting. You're absolutely correct, only time will tell if Russell was worth the risk, not only with how he plays the next few years, but also how Okafor plays in that same time. I'm not expecting an Oden/Durant situation here or anything close to it, but if Russell turns into the PG we've been looking to find for a decade, and Okafor is indeed exposed on defense or has trouble with the speed of the NBA game, the pick will end up looking smart. If Russell is just another middle of the pack guard and Okafor dominates, it's gonna be the painful 'one that got away' for a long, long time.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  7. Lakerman JSJ

Lakerman JSJ Moderator Staff Member

8. VinMillerHearn24

VinMillerHearn24 - Rookie -

I'm real happy with this pick. D'Angelo Russell should be great for us.

J9 likes this.
  9. gcclaker

^@Weez yup...in the back of my mind, the possibilities you related are real. Okafor's game is polished, solid and he has a good mindset. Everyone though is high on Russell. If he can overtake a player of Okafor's stature, then there could be something there.

10. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    One thing I wanted to point out in this article that I thought was interesting is when we brought Russell in for his 2nd workout he played a little 3 on 3 with some guys and one of them was Robert Upshaw. And now we know Upshaw got an agreement from us to be on our Summer League team. I can't wait for what the future will be!

TIME likes this.
  11. gcclaker

^Those accounts from practice reminds me of how Rambis once said that playing with Magic Johnson, you better be looking out with your hands in a catch ready position or you would have Spalding tattooed on your face.

TIME likes this.
  12. gcclaker

The security guard where I work had his radio on following local reactions to the pick. Mostly positive he says from callers...

13. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Finally read where Lee Jenkins wrote on Russell... he says we're embracing the future and moving into the small ball era. *sigh*

At the same time Mitch said that if Shaq or Wilt or Kareem were there, they'd have taken him. So I think we ARE moving into the new Era but only because we think Russell is the best player we could get.

I can love with that. If these guys see it, I'll believe em. I'm feeling better about this pick by the minute.

TIME likes this.
  14. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

Anyone else sees some Lillard in Russell?

15. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

So, we picked the most skilled guy in the draft, although he's a guard... he has superstar potential, great vision and shoots well from long range. I am very excited to see what our new backcourt can do. They are both combo guards, but Russ is more of a 1, while Clark is more of a 2, so they should work well together. Randle is apparently vowing everyone right now and he's fully recovered. Let's try to make a push for LMA to add another vet with Kobe/Swag and we should have a very, very exciting season.

therealdeal, TIME and Barnstable like this.
  16. VinMillerHearn24

VinMillerHearn24 - Rookie -

Random, but I wonder where he will sign to. Nike, Adidas, Under Armour, maybe those brands from China?

17. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Been looking around reading draft grades for us, looking for some positive stuff to post for the guys here that are bummed and really down on not taking Okafor. Here's a couple I came across first.

Bleacher report http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-grades-full-team-by-team-report-cards/page/3

Washington Post http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ews-rumors-mock-draft-top-prospects-analysis/

It's not that bad, I don't see a very many people saying we made a huge mistake we will regret for years. In fact I haven't really seen anyone saying that at all.

18. wcsoldier81

wcsoldier81 - Lakers All Star -

Every NBA so called "expert" is basically saying we picked the right player ...

19. KB24

KB24 Administrator Staff Member

Certified Tax Advisor
    Very good personality with solid skills and excellent vision but I think the Lakers went for the hollywood glitz.

I think he is athletically too limited to be a superstar in the NBA and his defense has been awful from what I have seen because next to limited athleticism, he isn't a hustler either. Thats my opinion. Hopefully he will prove me wrong.

lakerjones likes this.
  20. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    Trust Mitch. I loved the idea of Okafor, big , strong and dominating but the workouts where he was under the microscope failed to impress the FO. This is like the real life version of Kevin Costner's draft day, good thing Philly caught Jahlil on his way down. Don't want Okafor in a big market like NY if he becomes dominant or at least better than our pick. It would be like slapping us in the face everyday.