D'Angelo Russell Discussion: Opted In!

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by The Original 81, Jun 25, 2015.

1. SirJunkyBen

SirJunkyBen - Rookie -

2. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I agree which is part of why I wanted Okafor honestly. It felt redundant a bit to go after another guard.

Still though I definitely think you start with Kobe/JC running the ball more and then gradually you give more and more to Russell.

johnnyboy and gcclaker like this.
  3. thkthebest

thkthebest Administrator Staff Member

Welcome D'Angelo Russell!! Work hard. Learn from the best, and I hope you become a once-in-a-generation type of player. :cool:

Does this guy have a nickname yet?

therealdeal and tada like this.
  4. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

Clarkson has an edge to him clearly from being overlooked...Russell has the more composed and accommodating nature. Both are mature young men who will work together for success of the squad. I think the former will make the latter's job easier...set him up for scores or let him just go after his defender. Clarkson does not have to worry about setting up the table...look for his own. He has to like that. What is good is that either one won't be the focus of the defense. Pick your poison time.

We have our bookend backcourt of the future...what is not being mentioned much is that they both look to be very good defenders that can only improve in that area. I am really, really, really keen on your thoughts that Aldridge will be in a Laker uni.

TIME and Doc Brown like this.
  5. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

Yeah we really need a nickname. Typing that apostrophe is a pita.

Kenzo likes this.
  6. gcclaker

...and stay away from the Kardashians please. :cool:

TIME and Barnstable like this.
  7. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

man, okafor's reaction was tough to watch. I felt some pain, too, thinking that if he ends up more Duncan than al Jefferson, that could hurt pretty badly.

I do trust that the FO saw something, though. they had to. comforting to hear scott say he's on par with paul at the same age.

I am excited, though. if he's what all the pundits say, the lakers have a big timer.

ElginTheGreat, therealdeal and tada like this.
  8. gcclaker

After his New York Knick tirade against Jackson, Stephen "Agitated" Smith just commented how he liked the Russell selection and that he is in agreement with ten, count 'em, ten basketball personnel evaluators that the Lakers have picked a special player. Man I'm just laughing my a** off.

Let us now snag a competent big...puuhhleeze.

shoe, ElginTheGreat and therealdeal like this.
  9. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Not gonna lie, I felt bad for Okafor too. His face after Russell's name was called was sad. His face when his own name was called was sad. And he seemed like he lied his a** off about being happy to just be in the NBA in the interview he had when he stepped off the stage. He said happy, but his face said completely bummed. But, I think he'll have a great season in Philly, and they're stupid, so he'll get traded somewhere better not long after that.

alam1108, Barnstable, shoe and 2 others like this.
  10. CaCHooKa Man

CaCHooKa Man Administrator: Media Staff Member

Brown Sugar, Voodoo or Black Messiah

11. Ryanwestlombardi

Ryanwestlombardi - Rookie -

Retired
    He must of been great in his workout, With Okafur I think they saw a guy that could score but would give up as much as he got. I gotta trust Mitch and the boys on that. A interesting perspective from Jalen Rose was the comparison of Russell and Lenny Wilkins.And that hit home with me. I remember how terrific Wilkins was, a pass first PG that could score like crazy if you backed off him. Russell is that guy...not very athletic but deadly. It will be interesting now to see what transpires in Free Agency. They need a center if they want Aldridge to come to L. A. He wants to play the 4 not the 5. Nance and Brown left me numb, probably just D league guys.

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  12. Weezy

Clarify for me here, you're laughing at Stephen A's pain right? Not disagreeing that we made a good pick? Stephen A basically said he talked to a bunch of NBA guys and they agreed that Russell is a special talent, so it's a smart pick? Been a long day, sorry.

13. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    what show or radio station was this?

14. Weezy

Well, Black can play some center I guess. Maybe we can somehow re-sign Ed Davis at C too?

15. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I don't think we can afford Davis with Aldridge. We'd have around 3 million to spend... I don't see Davis taking that much.

16. Doc Brown

Doc Brown - Lakers Starter -

Doctorin'
    My buddy who is a big OSU basketball fan told me that DR is a gamer and lives for the big moments. Thinking about that 2nd workout being the factor that swayed Mitch just re-affirms that notion. He knew he had to kill that workout to get picked and he stepped up. I like that. Put him in the moment and he delivered.

17. Lakerman JSJ

Lakerman JSJ Moderator Staff Member

Anyone watching Sportscenter? Tim Legler just drooled over Russell talking about the immediate impact he'll have. Gonna make his teammates better from day 1. "He's going to be a star."

[​IMG]

18. Weezy

And on the other side, if it's true that Okafor's 2nd workout with us wasn't good, maybe that's one of the places some of the question about his "drive" came out from?

ElginTheGreat and therealdeal like this.
  19. puffyusaf#2

puffyusaf#2 - Lakers Starter -

Author of "Just a Thought"
    so I read every post in this thread to see what the consensus was about the kid. I'm excited to see this kid play. Does anyone think Lakers may have shied away from Okafor because of the recent history of bigs coming into the NBA and getting seriously injured? There are risk with any player but it does seem that the last few seasons have seen a few early round big guys have some serious health problems. I am also, like many have said, thinking LA believes they can land a center in FA. Maybe we pick up DJ from the Clippers lol. I'd love to see L. Aldridge come over I have always loved his game.

ElginTheGreat and therealdeal like this.
  20. LakersIn4

LakersIn4 - Rookie -

I had finally warmed up to the idea of taking Okafor, but still preferred trading the pick for a Cousins/Paul George level star. Didn't see this coming at all. Sending Clarkson to the bench & counting on a completely unproven Randle to be a starter while leaving 2 holes in the starting lineup seems extremely risky. But at the end of the day, in Mitch and Ryan West I trust. They wouldn't have taken such a huge gamble unless this kid was the real deal. I can't wait to see him play for us.

thkthebest likes this.