D'Angelo Russell Discussion: Opted In!

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by The Original 81, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 - Lakers All Star -

I actually agree with you in a lot of ways but there is a definite ceiling issue between Dlo and Prince. Dlo raises the Lakers ceiling to a high level when he is playing to his potential. SImply put when Dlo is on the Lakers are very difficult to beat while Prince is just a roleplayer even at his best.

Dlo no showing his jumpshot against Boston for example and he was still very good. Agree against physical teams such as the Knicks and what happens in the playoffs can he be trusted - probably not but still he did win the Lakers a few playoff games last year and he's definitely handled physicality a lot better this year then in the past.

Slick2021 likes this.
  2. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

First time down the floor Jalen was being guarded by Austin. Happens as a starter sometimes and it happens a lot in Ham's substitution patterns ..... Reaves is on the perimiter guard "scorer". Stick to the one sentence instead of your whole thing. I don't disagree with everything you say. Just statements in particular that are whack, and you saying Reave's doesn't get tasked in his minutes on the floor with "scorers" is patently false, however it comes about, starting or substitution patterns. Not talking about in play defensive rotations.

Panko likes this.
  3. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

I don't even know, what we are arguing about LT. We started Rui, so of course, Ham would rather try Austin, over D'Angelo on Bronson.

We switch a lot, every one playing on the perimeter, is going to be matched up with opposing scorers at some points of games.

What I was getting at, is basically what I finished with, in my post. If Prince and Reaves are playing together, I would prefer Prince on the scorer. He's a better defender, but Austin is also way more valuable to the team, let Prince get the cheap fouls.

4. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Of course you don't because of the way you argue and debate. You get called on something and then you go everywhere else but. How clearer in my sentence above could I have made my point of contention with you. MOST ******* recently here, and you still claim ignorance what my point is?? FOH with that nonsense of yours. You started on the last page saying we really can't even compare Prince's D to AR's or DLO. Because they don't get tasked on the perimeter "scorers". And I called BS in Austin's case because it happens ALL the time. NOT that I was saying he is as effective as Prince.

KareemtheGreat33 and Panko like this.
  5. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

When he's on, it's great. I just don’t trust him, to be on consistently enough, in the playoffs. It's one thing to struggle some, but totally disappearing, is unacceptable.

We are in a tricky spot, with Lebron's window. we bet on D'Angelo stepping up,and he reverts to his norm, we just wasted another shot IMO.

6. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

Meh... I don't know what you are talking about. I thought i spelled it out already. We switch a lot, Reaves has to guard somebody, so does D'Angelo, they are on the court.

This a trivial argument IMO, they ask Prince to guard SG-PF..regularly, he's a SF than can stick with a lot of SG. Austin is basically a SG..in stretches he will still be matched against PG and a some SF.

A conversation is fluid, you like to seize on one sentence, or comment, and make an overblown big deal out of it. There are 5 players on the court, of course he will have to defend different guys at different times.

7. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

we're in 9th place, man. we wasted the shot months ago.

8. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

That doesn't mean anything today, we were in 13th place, this time last season, and 6 games under 500.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2024
    LTLakerFan likes this.
  9. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

10. VladeD714

VladeD714 - Rookie -

He wants to stay. Can't blame him. He seems to like it here...

11. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Video of that quote

12. VladeD714

VladeD714 - Rookie -

Cool. It isn't personal. Just business. Just like he has every right to walk in FA this summer if he so chooses.

How it goes...

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  13. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

it's interesting--was that an answer to the question?

why did you waive the no-trade clause? i felt like it made sense because i've been traded before and can't control it?

i mean, that's the point of the NT clause--that you CAN control it. i wonder if that was the condition for making it a player option on year 2 (we were offering team option initially is my bet).

anyway, he's been among the least of our problems, imo. if other teams don't value him as the media insists, we should definitely keep him.

14. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Rumor I read was that offer was more money with a TO, less money with a PO.

Didn't see it out there by enough people to 100% buy it as fact, but it makes sense.

15. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

makes sense. i'd have offered more money with a team option, too. if we weren't penny pinchers, i'd have offered 1 year, 30 million with a team option on a declining second year. that's super tradable and gives dlo almost as much as the PO deal does (and he could certainly make up the 5 million in FA if his team option is declined). if lacob owned us, we'd have done that, i bet. probably would have kept beasley and/or bamba, too, for similar reasons.

16. KuzmoBall17

KuzmoBall17 - Lakers Starter -

Immanuel Quickley has the best 3-point shooting in the NBA, excluding shots from the corner, Nikola Vucevic has the worst

NBA University presented a ranking of the best NBA snipers.

Rating of players by percentage of 3-pointers made excluding shots from the corner, minimum 150 attempts:

1. Immanuel Quickley (Toronto): 45.6% -
    2. Grayson Allen (Phoenix): 45.4% – 163

3. Kawhi Leonard (Clippers): 45.2% – 186

4. Karl-Anthony Towns (Minnesota): 44.7% – 228

5. Kevin Durant (Phoenix): 43.7% – 183

6. Jamal Murray (Denver): 43.6% – 195

7. C.J. McCollum (New Orleans): 42.9% – 252

8. Gary Trent (Toronto): 42.1% – 214

9. Chet Holmgren (Oklahoma)/D'Angelo Russell (Lakers)/James Harden (Clippers): 41.5%
    He's better than Curry or Klay

Panko, karacha, VladeD714 and 3 others like this.
  17. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

Step up in the playoffs and you're here to stay for a long, long time. Dissapear again, you'll end up in Por, Det, or some other Hornets team, treading water, doing nothing...

18. VladeD714

VladeD714 - Rookie -

He's been fantastic for the most part this last month in a half.

I'm getting the feeling he's staying.

tada, Panko, abeer3 and 3 others like this.
  19. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

i'm not sure he cares, and i'm not sure that's actually a bad thing. my guess is he'll play more freely if we make the playoffs this time.

but in the end, he's not a star and isn't paid like one. he's a quality starting pg who is fairly mercurial. it would be best if you had a good backup for him, and we thought we did but he died.

sirronstuff and Panko like this.
  20. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

The other interesting thing, about the D'Angelo situation, is that in the month stretch, when he was playing poorly, and ended up getting benched for 7 games, and in this recent stretch of him playing well...the team went 8-6 in both stretches

Same record, poor play, or great play.

sirronstuff likes this.