D'Angelo Russell Discussion: Opted In!

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by The Original 81, Jun 25, 2015.

1. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

I don't really believe in the "fears the spotlight" statement. I think some players play better with the lights and some worse... but I find it very hard to believe that some forget how to play come March.

I think it's almost always the case of defenses, team schemes and such.

And if we had a coach, we'd be able to adjust our schemes to make his life easier. We have Pimple, who struggles to understand why a player scoring 8ppg on 40/30 splits should not be getting 30 f***ing minutes a game.

Helljumper likes this.
  2. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

you don't think dlo disappearing in bigger games is a pretty well-established trend at this point?

i often blame AD's disappearances on scheme--and i think i can support that with evidence--but i don't see that with dlo. he gets similar shots and misses them. he's not being doubled, nor are teams dramatically changing coverage on him to my eye. the pressure just gets ratcheted up, and he frequently doesn't respond well. i keep hoping that he'll work his way out of it, but hope isn't in a plan.

3. ZenMaster

I think he does. I just don't think it's because of some mystical "he scared" property.

4. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 - Lakers All Star -

He had some good playoff moments particularly against Memphis but overall trend line is very clear with him.

My opinion is when defenses tighten up and get more physical, he just doesn't handle it well. I don't think he's scared but you can see defenses when they give him less space I've noticed two things with him - he tends to rush shots and his decision making just goes into the toilet (takes ill-advised contested jumpers when he has time on the clock, drives into no man lands, tries to draw fouls on jumpshots).

He has traditionally not been able to get to the foul line a lot and if you look at playoff-intensity basketball you need to be able to get cheap points and get opponents in foul trouble and that is simply a weakness in his game normally that I think gets magnified in games where defenses ratchet up.

5. ZenMaster

Then we need to play him off the ball more. Let him be the decoy. Run plays that free him in the corner and get his confidence up.

We do none of that that I can see.

abeer3 likes this.
  6. Pioneer10

He's not a great cutter though and not a lob threat. Teams use the corner spots for players who defend well but aren't great offensive players like Cam and Vando.
    Plus, you take him off the ball and you lose his biggest strengths which PnR passing and scoring

This is not a coaching issue IMO with him: his game is built for more as a minutes eater during the doldrum of the regular season. This is still important!: you need dudes who can eat up minutes and gets you wins against weaker competition without increasing th risk to your stars. But in the playoffs/tournaments, he either has to just be better at hitting contested 3's or get better drawing fouls

abeer3, JSM and lakerjones like this.
  7. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

If only you knew whether scoring wise you're getting the carriage or the pumpkin night to night.

Props for such clean A/T numbers though that is truly impressive.

8. D-Fish Man

D-Fish Man - Lakers 6th Man -

It's easier to commit 0 turnovers when your team can't have you on the court in the 4th quarter.

abeer3, FrontOfJersey22 and Kenzo like this.
  9. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers All Star -

D'Angelo has been pretty weak on defense, but his offensive numbers are pretty consistent across the board, compared to last season. His biggest issue to me, is that matador style defense that he plays against ball penatration. My man also has a hard time, getting in a proper position to take a charge. He shrinks from the contact, that defeats the point of trying to take a charge.

abeer3 likes this.
  10. Slick2021

He's the opening act, Austin is the closer. It works for now.

abeer3 and sirronstuff like this.
  11. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Got off to a good start in the 1st.

Got lazy with some of the passes, resulting in 4 TOs. That's a lot for him this season.

abeer3, Cookie, karacha and 2 others like this.
  12. Slick2021

It will be interesting to see how D'Angelo plays tomorrow night against Brown.

abeer3 and LTLakerFan like this.
  13. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

If we have the opportunity to upgrade in the slightest at PG, he will be shipped out.
    As others have stated, he’s lacking two crucial elements that are needed in a starting NBA caliber PG:
    Ability to draw fouls and get to the line and the ability to play under pressure.
    Having to rely on the almost 39 year old LeBron to run the show when Austin isn’t, will not going be a recipe for success for much longer. It may last the rest of this season, but LeBron will eventually wear down.
    I know that Vincent was supposed to relieve some of this load, but unfortunately, he’s been out.

14. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    I think it was an interesting choice to insist on a player option after 1 year

We may not want to be around for year 2 at that price tag if we can get Caruso or an adequate replacement.

Kind of meh on him. Has moments, but can shrink when needed. If he's the 4th guy, it's not that big of a deal, but it's pretty clear he's not a clear cut #3 at this point.

But he's a facilitator and gets some guys easy buckets. We can't overlook the good stuff and only point out the meh. Clearly based upon the assists stats posted above, it's not so easy to replace that production. But I agree, my game plan is to get in his face and be physical to throw him off his game. He's more skill than physicality, and it gets him off his game.

abeer3, Cookie and Pioneer10 like this.
  15. Pioneer10

I like that he face guarded a Pelican on a box out. Got called for a b******* off ball foul but that is how you make up for physicality is make sure the team is still an advantage by taking out your guy on the glass

16. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

Ahhh, the ever so important “box out” has unfortunately become a rare sight these days in the NBA.

abeer3, Juronimo and LTLakerFan like this.
  17. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

he makes 4th guy money, really, by modern standards. he and rui are in that payband, and reaves and vando are in the 5th/6th guy payband. this is what happens when your top two make huge cash and you don't want vet min city.

18. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Cookie and abeer3 like this.
  19. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

Translation, i'll suck like i usually do in games that matter :D

D-Fish Man, sirronstuff and abeer3 like this.
  20. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

lol harsh.

sirronstuff likes this.