D'Angelo Russell Discussion: Opted In!

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by The Original 81, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

It's not the numbers, trodgers, it's the attitude. It's the infuriating lack of passion and effort game to game. There's lack of consistency due to age, and then there is just baffling games where this guy looks like he'd rather be anywhere else but on the court. If it were pure numbers and I saw him giving his all, cutting back on his mistakes and lazy passes, stepping up as a vocal or on court leader, having at least the occasional game where he says that's it I'm taking over, I would not be quick to get down on him and I would also preach patience. I need to see at least one of those things start to happen on a consistent basis, because there is no legit excuse I can see for them not to. There's no vet guard ahead of him taking his minutes, he starts and has the ball in his hands as much as he wants, he is being given every opportunity to put his imprint on each game and be as good as he wants to be out there.

Cookie, alam1108 and tada like this.
  2. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    I suggest that this incalculable "attitude" factor might be a distractor from what's really going on. I know that attitude really does matter to people, but I'm not sure it should. Effort is another question, and we can debate that.

ElginTheGreat and abeer3 like this.
  3. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

his effort and focus are certainly inconsistent at best. but again, he also generally plays better than everyone else. may have to live with it.

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  4. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

He does?

He's 6th on the team in DRtg.
    He's 11th on the team in ORtg.
    He's 4th on the team in VORP.
    He's 9th on the team in W/S.
    He's 11th on the team in TS%.
    He's 7th on the team in PER (if you're into that sort of thing).
    He's 4th in Box +/-
    And yet he's 2nd in USG% behind only Lou Williams.

I think he might be the most naturally talented baller of the young three that's been here more than a year, but he's probably the most disappointing. He might be the most talented player on our team at any given moment, but especially lately he hardly plays like it. His effort and attitude drag him down to a player that isn't the best on the team at all. He's not better than Lou Williams. He's probably not better than Nick Young right now. I would say Larry Nance Jr. has a more positive overall impact on the game than Russell. Tarik Black has been tremendously impactful lately (besides the game against Boogie where the whistles were raining on him).

A player with his ability on a team like this? He should be among the top 2-3 in basically all of these categories. At the very least he shouldn't be so low on our own team in ORtg and W/S if he's as good offensively as we hope he is. Live with it? Nah. Attitude and effort are enormous parts of this game. If he's not willing to work for wins, I'm going to lose my patience. I'm frustrated and I'm willing to move on from all these kids, but I still believe they have talent. Russell embodies the sort of stupid immaturity that I can't stand. This isn't college where he's better than everyone else. Right now he's probably the 4th best player on maybe the worst team in the league. If he's as good as he thinks he is, why are we this bad? We can keep pointing fingers, but maybe that's the point. These kids need to take responsibility for where the team is and the sort of effort they're giving to the franchise.

5. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    I think the numbers are pretty clear here - he's playing better than nearly everyone on the team, even by the advanced metrics. I'd say Lou, Nick, and Randle are the only ones you could make a case for. The others are playing against scrubs. If you have a 21 year old guy who's posting his numbers, and he's your fourth best player (at worst) already, you're thrilled and you deal with the inconsistencies. You also absolutely get him working with a sports psychologist and/or mentor ASAP.

LTLakerFan, ElginTheGreat and abeer3 like this.
  6. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

yeah, unless the same guys appear above him in every metric, i'm not sure that list is useful.

7. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

They do. Randle, Lou Williams, Nick Young, Larry Nance Jr., and in some cases Zubac are all above him in almost every one of those metrics. He's tied with Randle in VORP and slightly ahead of him in Box +/-.

tada likes this.
  8. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    Nance plays against backups. Lou often does, too, but I included him without argument. Zu plays against backups - and almost no minutes. So he's out.

9. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

I don't need advance metrics to see that his attitude is the worst on the team. Byron was right about his maturity. I think it'll take a while before he snaps out of his ADHD and finds consistency.

10. KRL

KRL - Lakers 6th Man -

The numbers argument lol ... then you realize DLo was #2 overall and Van Smack was #37

What you don't see in numbers is the competitiveness and leadership. At least you saw it in Van Exel sure he got shipped out for Cancun but that was after we got Shaq. Van Exel was the leader of the Lake Show and the post Magic era where the Lakers were scrappy and rebuilding. I've seen ZERO of that from DLo.

11. KB24

KB24 Administrator Staff Member

Certified Tax Advisor
    You can always find a way to "explain" why a certain number favors this guy or favors that guy and why you can torch the numbers to express exactly what you want to.

At the end of the day it comes down to the eye test and the eye test shows that Russell is not very good or particularly efficient at anything right now. The eye test also shows that he hasn't made the strides this year that would be necessary for him to achieve the ceiling we thought he would have. The eye test also shows that Russell doesn't seem to be receptive to criticism and isn't really focused. He doesn't seem to hate losing and he feels like he is playing great and the world is beautiful.

At the end of the day you need to have the right culture as a franchise and clowns like Russell or Randle aren't dying for championships. That's the main problem.

12. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

...whatever happened to that version in the Summer League and the Olympic practices? I was expecting a carry over even if the level of competition was different. Maybe that's it.

Barnstable and trodgers like this.
  13. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    Draft position means - literally - d*** fifty. NVE was the comparison point and he was more than a year older. DA is simply a better player at that age.

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  14. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    Good question. Almost like something happened between then and now. Like Lakers management.

15. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

What about Lakers management is effecting his play on the court?

Toxic environment, fear of getting traded??

ElginTheGreat, Cookie and trodgers like this.
  16. Juronimo

Juronimo - Lakers Starter -

plays with one's and zero's
    Did you watch Van Exel play? Serious question.

trodgers likes this.
  17. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

Gator... i mean Travis

18. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    Lol. Yes. Did you? He was one of my favorite "bridge" Lakers - with Ceballos, Jones, and Threatt leading the way. Nick became a very good player. He wasn't better than Russell at this age.

19. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    I think it's not just DAR who's being affected negatively by the environment. I think our defense is a partial result of it, too.

ElginTheGreat and LaVarBallsDad like this.
  20. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    Apologies if I'm being a douche. I'll improve my attitude.

LaVarBallsDad likes this.