D'Angelo Russell Discussion: Opted In!

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by The Original 81, Jun 25, 2015.

1. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    just convince yourselves that his ceiling is DFish and that the FO made a mistake lol I do I blame Mitch every time DAR screws up while Porzingod dominates and Devin Booker is lighting it up.

2. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

I was upset when we drafted him over Okafor. But the FO made the right decision there. I remember most of us cringing when Porzingis' name was brought up here. Some might be forgetting that Porzingis was high on Mitch's list and he said so publicly that he was really impressed with him. From the sound of it, they very well might have drafted him except that Russell wowed them in that last try out.

While I was down on Russell on draft night I came around quickly and I still think he was a good pick for us. He needs time to develop. The most frustrating thing though has been his turnovers, especially late in the game. He HAS to shore that up if he is going to be a leader on the team like he wants to be. It might take a year or two. We've got to be patient. I think he has a great coaching staff now to help him get over this hurdle. In the meantime though it might cost us a few games here and there.

Ultimately, I'm becoming very interested in this idea that Luke is developing Brandon Ingram's point guard skills. That would allow to Russell to move to the 2, his more natural position as long as we can bring in a FA small forward down the road (Paul George, anyone? I can dream right?).

3. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

No one here wanted Booker or Zinger on draft night, come on now. I was a KAT guy but DAR was my choice at the #2 pick. Would get Zinger over Okafor too...

4. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

I wanted Okafor but Russell was the right choice at #2. Zinger was an impossible proposition at the time. He got booed even at #4.

I don't really care if Russell is a natural PG or SG at this point. However, I want the ball out of his hands because he's way too careless way too often. So I prefer Russell to be utilized as an off-ball guard, or a SG.

therealdeal likes this.
  5. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    plus we had Randle at PF who hadn't had a chance yet. We had so many needs that it didn't make sense to pull a 70 center move and load up on one position.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  6. KB24

KB24 Administrator Staff Member

Certified Tax Advisor
    I still think Russell was the right choice even though most expected Okafor and warmed up to the idea of him joining us especially since he was supposed to be the #1 for about a year.

With that said...even though Russell was a good choice at 2, it was a weak draft overall. 2015 has been crap too. None of the rookies have been anything special. Simmons could change that though.

7. wcsoldier81

wcsoldier81 - Lakers All Star -

No TO ! and he was back to hitting threes against soft/conservative D ...

therealdeal, alam1108, Cookie and 3 others like this.
  8. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I was an unapologetic Okafor supporter. I still like that kid to be honest. I know he hasn't impressed in Philadelphia, but... well it's Philadelphia.

Russell was a better choice though and there should be no one talking about Porzingis seriously when just about everyone outside of Mychal Thompson was saying it'd be a huge mistake to take Porzingis.

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  9. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

As wcsoldier said ....it's great with the zero turnovers last night. Some of those were still slick passes in the right places but he doesn't need to always be going for the home run / ESPN hi light reel plays. Until he can hit the needed and the slick passes for high average. He seems to have the tools to be a great passer if he was disciplined and really worked at it. More home run stuff then too. Ingram's got more discipline it seems.

But then like others and I see .... a lot of the TOs aren't even mustard off the hot dog stuff. They're just stupid (by now) lazy and telegraphed passes.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
    Cookie and Barnstable like this.
  10. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers MVP -

Russell will not be what we all want him to be until year 4 or 5. It's something we have to come to grips with. The guy is James Harden 2.0. OKC didnt let him come into his own and they traded him for nothing. Harden, Durant and Westbrook would have ran circles on the league if they had just been a little patient. They had made the Finals and were 3 wins away with two 24-year olds and a 23-year old with an average coach.

No one will trade with the Lakers. No one will help the Lakers and the league has already eff'd us in the a** and destroyed our team since the veto. So now we wait and let the guys develop. Russell has the skill set. He needs more that 8 months of NBA basketball to become a perennial super star. He is not Lilliard who had 4 years of college. Curry was almost traded for Bogut, if it weren't for some key decisions in the GS front office, he would have been gone instead of Monta Ellis. Jerry West threatened to quit if they had traded Klay for Love. This is a team that was not what it has been the last 2+ years. use that as a template.

NBA has changed to the point where the Lakers will never be able to operate the way they use to. They cant turn it around with one trade and the NBA will not let them dominate. So, the best way to stick it to them is draft and stick it to them with whom they have drafted. Ingram and Russell have super star skills. Randle is very very good once he hits his prime. Lakers than can hopefully bring in a couple of vets that can glue it all together.

11. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    Niche stat: only three players have a 24-4-4 game this season and are under 21 (Booker, Mudiay, and Russell). D'Angelo is the only one of them with multiple (2).

12. KB24

KB24 Administrator Staff Member

Certified Tax Advisor
    ^But I don't hear Mudiay or Booker talk about NBA finals....

Its time for Russell to shut up and deliver. Shooting 39% won't cut it, terrible defense won't cut it, head scratching TOs won't cut it. He is the same player he was last year.

All the talk about the hard work in the off-season, working on his post game, working on his core strength etc...

The Lakers are playing at a much faster pace than last year but even statistically he hasn't made a big jump.

13. Azndude2190

Azndude2190 - Lakers 6th Man -

Too be honest, I haven't seen any of our young guys make a jump this year. Didn't Randle and Nance say there were working on their jump shots? Randle still drives like a madman to the basket and rarely ever takes a shot outside of 18 feet. And statistically, Jordan Clarkson has regressed a little and less consistent.

14. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    I think Nance had improved the most. Then Randle on offense. DA looks like a superior player to me, especially on defense. He's nearly adequate now.

Barnstable likes this.
  15. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Incidentally just saw this on reddit. I agree that Julius should have progressed more shooting the ball, just thought it was interesting.

16. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

i mentioned in the randle thread a while back that i thought he was shooting it a lot better this year, percentage-wise. good to see that the facts support that perception.

bad to see that the facts support russell forgetting how to pull up off the dribble. that was what i thought would be his bread and butter.

lakerjones, Barnstable and LTLakerFan like this.
  17. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    The knee seems better this game. He needs to get healthier to do the things he is supposed to do.

18. johnnyboy

johnnyboy - Lakers 6th Man -

Im Satoshi Nakamoto
    If this team makes the playoffs next year, I can def see Paul george coming home. Just depends on how this team develops.

lakerjones likes this.
  19. LTLakerFan

And only 2 TOs tonight. Us beating him up here has finally shown some effect. Luke couldn't reach him.

:Headbang:

sirronstuff likes this.
  20. LTLakerFan

That's a crazy stat. You could lose money on that one. Bet your friends. :KobeConfused: