D'Angelo Russell Discussion: Opted In!

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by The Original 81, Jun 25, 2015.

1. wcsoldier81

wcsoldier81 - Lakers All Star -

Not that close but they have assets and capspace ... Let's say in an ideal scenario for them they add Hayward during the summer and get A.Davis when he asks for a trade sometimes during next season , here's your contender

Lebron won't be in the Finals in 2019 imo and playing in the Least is a big advantage too..

2. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

It is becoming very concerning.

johnnyboy, LTLakerFan and abeer3 like this.
  3. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

so hayward leaves a ton of cash on the table to leave an already good team, then they win the bidding war for anthony davis? that's a lot of optimism there. if i floated that scenario for the lakers, people would call me a crazy homer.

there are two contenders right now. when they age out, the next will be whoever has another hofer in his prime and has built something around them. the new cba is making it more and more difficult for these guys to go anywhere until they've been in the league a decade.

and again, i end my rant angry about the paul trade veto.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
    scnottaken and LaVarBallsDad like this.
  4. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Someone needs to find him.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There's something therapeutic about this. Look up ... look down ... repeatedly. Like when it got to the point of being OK in public to like seeing Boron in sirron's crosshairs and the trigger pulled.

:Laughingcop:

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
    KareemtheGreat33 and sirronstuff like this.
  5. KRL

KRL - Lakers 6th Man -

Personally, after watching DLo play his first year ... the guy is a SG. He may have good handles but I just don't see him excelling at the NBA level plus he lacks an explosive first step to breakdown an NBA defense, that is a big requirement for me in a top PG.

BTW... nice to meet you all here. I've come to seek asylum and a more open minded place.

6. LTLakerFan

Why ... are you trouble?

:Fishwink:

alam1108 likes this.
  7. KRL

KRL - Lakers 6th Man -

Banned but more for my political views which is sad. Plus I enjoyed reminding them of the Porzingis screw up.

sirronstuff likes this.
  8. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

Miller last night noted Russell's "too cool" demeanor on the floor. Really maddening...

alam1108 likes this.
  9. johnnyboy

johnnyboy - Lakers 6th Man -

Im Satoshi Nakamoto
    I agree with reggie

alam1108 likes this.
  10. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

i don't see how dlo isn't a pg, or how extreme speed and quickness are necessary to be one. this is a common refrain from dlo's detractors with which i disagree. i question his motor and work ethic--which may actually be more maddening/concerning--but i don't question his physical tools or skills. re-watch his crossover from the last game and tell me he can't break people down off the dribble. moreover, there are plenty of examples of guys who were not fast or quick and have been very good pgs (deron williams the most recent). size and intelligence go a long way in this league. if you move russell to sg, you lose his size advantage, which is a problem, particularly on d.

welcome, though!

SamsonMiodek and Barnstable like this.
  11. Toklat

Toklat - Lakers Starter -

The "too cool" to play hard is hard to watch. I wanted Russ in the draft and have been supportive so far. However, I have little patience with this type of attitude and feel my support waning game by game. Right now I prefer watching when he isn't on the court. I tell my guys all the time, play hard and unselfishly and it will all come together. Nothing worse on a coach than a good player that only shows up part of the time. The coach doesn't want to bench the player but at the same time not knowing which player is going to show up can make your game plan ineffective. This is especially hard on Luke being a first year coach. Not saying he is trouble yet but that kind of selfish attitude can ruin a team. Hoping for the best but there are some red flags popping up.

12. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I don't think real point guards exist these days anyway. Chris Paul is the only real one left.

abeer3 likes this.
  13. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

i can't follow the argument, really. mike conley is kind of an old-school/classic pg, as is paul, but most of the top pgs in the league are not. pure, floor-general, ball-dominant pgs are especially poorly represented among championship teams over the last...two decades or so? russell's as much "pg" as curry, kyrie, tony parker, billups, etc., and moreso than your derek fishers and bj armstrongs of the world.

the lakers offense is better with him on the floor, despite the fact that he plays very little with the team's best offensive player (williams).

http://www.82games.com/1617/16LAL3.HTM#onoff

again, my issue is with his effort and focus, maybe moreso the latter. he makes at least two incredibly lazy turnovers per game, it feels like. cut those out, and his pg stats go through the roof, despite the low assist totals (which is partly driven by low minutes, of course). you don't see mike conley just nonchalantly toss a ball to the opposition when initiating the offense--almost never. the fact that it hasn't been cleaned up yet baffles me. i think this is part of why byron couldn't stand him. not that i'm justifying byron's methods, but i understand his frustration if it stemmed from this.

trodgers and LTLakerFan like this.
  14. KRL

KRL - Lakers 6th Man -

I agree w/the issue with DLo's too cool for school attitude on the court. The guy celebrates too often, save the celebration for when the game actually means something. The Lakers have played ZERO meaningful games in the past 4-5 years (outside of Kobe's last game)!

The comparison of DWill as being a big PG w/o the quick first step. Yes, he doesn't have the quick first step but the guy is as strong as a bull and knows how to use his size to either get in the lane and draw the foul or create space for his jumper. The only flash of brilliance I see in DLo is his ability to heat up and nail 3's in bulk.

To make matters worse, everytime I see Porzingis put up a sick game of 25 pts 10+ reb and 3-4 blks, UGH!!

alam1108 and sirronstuff like this.
  15. LTLakerFan

Towns of course went #1 but wasn't the Logo on record as well calling Russell the best player or biggest future talent in the draft? Not to mention he was ESPN Sports Science wonder dude with all those talents and unworldly reflexes.

16. LTLakerFan

Paging sirron. Maybe you could get on him in your own special way visually and with context that we got "bait and switched". Time for him to work harder and give us that guy above. How about Sports Science Dude "stills" you can shake up a little and put sirron kind of copy on them? :Magic Brows: Hey not my hours have to be put in doing this. If I even knew how.

sirronstuff likes this.
  17. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

Meh. There's a lot more wrong with this team than Russell. He actually started off the game well against Dallas. I'd like to see more focus for the full game and more consistency in his shot game to game but there's plenty of blame to go around for the poor product we've been watching for the last month. Also, as many have noted, his overall numbers aren't bad and we are better with him on the floor.

18. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    [​IMG] New material is kind of on hiatus right now. Out of the country.

But, in addition to his demeanor, , he's ok flapping his gu

19. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    Dang can't edit for some reason

20. LTLakerFan

Deng can't edit because he's fragile? :Crazyartest: