D'Angelo Russell Discussion: All Time Lakers Season 3 Point Shooter

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by The Original 81, Jun 25, 2015.

1. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

Jrue is the rare guy that I wanted to trade both Dlo and Rui and a pick for. I said so when he got traded to Portland and they said they wanted to let him go. But as abeer said the point was moot because Dlo and Rui weren’t tradeable until December. Jrue is the kind of game changer that could help put us over the hump. Of course without Vando basically all season I’m not sure we were ever going to get over. And again, point is moot because we never had the chance to get Jrue.

2. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

I don't think that's a sticking point if they commit to him long term. If they don't exceed the $18m as base but give him 4 years with annual raise and no team options the minute FA opens up, he would feel wanted and probably jumps.

I'm just going off the math Pincus used in his piece but subbing out Monk with DLO. I think they have Monk higher but a less chance of getting him.

If they give Klay 27, DLO 18, then they'd have around 10 instead of 8 to shore up the PF spot.

Barnstable and abeer3 like this.
  3. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

I bet DLo does take a multi year offer from the Magic, because he always said he has never felt that any Franchise has really invested in him.
    I won’t blame him at all if he does because I would do the exact same thing.

trodgers likes this.
  4. 52years

52years - Rookie -

If he opts in they should try to get Cole Anthony for him

5. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

6. Punk-101

Punk-101 - Lakers Starter -

Fool me twice, shame on me…but you know what…let’s go for the three-peat. I kinda hope DLo resigns. Maybe JJ can get something out of him. He is no doubt incapable of overcoming mental hurdles. He’s proven that to us. But I think a coach who has confidence in him and plays to his strengths (as the primary ball handler, with Lebron more off ball) can unlock him. Defensive side of the ball will always be an issue, but a healthy Vando does a lot there too.

SamsonMiodek, karacha and wallangong like this.
  7. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Yuck! Does it wash off? Being that close to Booker?

abeer3 and Juronimo like this.
  8. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

Sign and trade please. Would suck to lose him for nothing but the DLO experiment has to end.

9. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i'm ok if he moves, but i'm definitely not in the "must get rid of him" camp.

anyway, he's book's boy. dlo for nurkic. phx goes all offense, we go extra big.

sirronstuff, LTLakerFan and JSM like this.
  10. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 - Lakers All Star -

Such a fun player just not built for the playoffs, unfortunately.

11. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Given our illustrious history of shooters coming here to completely lose their shooting powers .... the bright Laker lights, expectations, we pick weak minded individuals, whatever .... and clearly Redick wanting guys that can shoot .... it doesn't seem like anything but common sense to me that he is going to take one hard look at bringing back THESE guys, expecting that HIS schemes and maximization of individual talents being beyond what Ham came up with to maximize them. Shooters: LeBron, excellent from 3 last year. Russell, 41.5%. Prince, virtually 40%. Reaves, who JJ probably sees a lot of ways based on his own career and the drills he personally did, to take him to the next level from deep with more consistency. Hachimura, has at multiple times and has the mechanics to shoot well from 3. That's 5 guys likely around 40% right there, especially given that he will scheme better for them. Without giving up anything or rolling the dice on the next good shooter(s) being brought in hoping they TOO don't lose all their mojo in that regard, and at what cost.

Now obviously we still have some defenders in Vando, who schemed better for has shown signs of hopefully becoming decent enough from whatever sweet spots, and Reddish who when healthy opened some eyes on defense, though eratic as hell on offense, Reaves who is not a bad defender when matched properly, same as Prince and Rui who has shown some promise at getting better plus Vincent for point of attack and wasn't a terrible shooter for Miami.

Christie I see as expendable in a trade, plus money plus our 17th pick to move up far enough to draft a good enough player to contribute rotation minutes in whatever position they most want(??) Same with JHS and Max Lewis. Hopefully they all look improved in Summer League. Carter? Edey? Some other young center that can contribute off the bench?

https://www.nba.com/news/2024-consensus-mock-draft

Then if there are deals to be done smartly without chucking useful players for marginal upgrades with no guarantees on the shooting .... then make them. Get a decent BIG man at least 7 feet with more in his back pocket than Wood and Hayes. Can Castleton step up under a new staff to give minutes per game?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2024 at 6:38 PM
    abeer3 likes this.
  12. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers All Star -

This current roster, simply isn't Championship caliber. The Homer in me, refuses to accept that during the season, in any season. (Top 3 in the West, as currently constructed!)

That's being a fan, after the campaign ends tho, it's easier to take a more critical look at the situation. I don't think schemes have anything to do with it. In the 9 games we played against Denver, our guys had plenty of good looks, quality looks in their preferred spots. They just didn't knock them down, especially in crunch time. If a guy is wide open, he's wide open, it doesn't matter what scheme or play is being ran. You gotta knock them shots down period. Denver did, we just didn't.

We need to upgrade our roster IMO, I have my favorites on this team, Austin, Rui and Jarred, but anyone can by had, for the right price. The first one to go, should be Chokeolo without a doubt. He's already infected Austin and Rui IMO. Get him the f*** outta here ASAP Rob!!

13. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Who said anything about not upgrading? I listed several possibilities with hopefully the least amount of talent chucked too early, prior to seeing what guaran-damn-teed JJ and LeBron come up with scheme wise that will better maximize players’ abilities than sorry a** Ham did. You sound like you’re all hot for a complete makeover in that post but I don’t think you are …. just your usual wanting DLO gone. The more guys we give up that we know at least have shot reasonably well to good, in order to take the chance on new guys doing the same …. the bigger the chances of same old same old with that curse too. We never basically had Vando last year and the talent we did have that was available when not injured was piss poorly managed. By all reports including tales from the front office reported about what pissed THEM off so he was fired. We’ll see soon enough the difference …. book it. Including confidence instilled into shooters and schemes to help them … picks, movement, whatever from a coach who’s whole successful career was based on successful shooting.