D'Angelo Russell Discussion: All Time Lakers Season 3 Point Shooter

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by The Original 81, Jun 25, 2015.

1. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

if i had more time i might try to find guys like that. years ago, when everyone hated kuz for inconsistency and wanted guys like will barton, i showed that these other guys were equally volatile. i think when you don't watch guys every night, you assume they're more consistent than they are.

michael porter jr. is the nuggets' third option and paid 60% more than dlo, and he's just as mercurial, if not moreso.

edit: ok, i made time.

here's just the point totals across games during the regular season:

both.jpeg

if that's too busy, here's each separately:

mpj.jpeg

dlo.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 5, 2024
  2. NickthaQuick

NickthaQuick - Lakers 6th Man -

And why is this random twitter account to be trusted?

sirronstuff and abeer3 like this.
  3. 52years

52years - Rookie -

DLO has now shown a pattern of disappearing in the spotlight.Who would you trust to be more consistent in a playoff run Porter or DLO? That answer is pretty evident.All players have their flaws.who can control those flaws on a more consistent basis is what I’m looking for weather your my best player or end of bench

LTLakerFan likes this.
  4. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

[​IMG]

Holy crap Batman! :cool:

pika1708 and trodgers like this.
  5. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

I don't know about the Twitter rumors, but its easy for me to believe that AD and Austin are high on DLO. The chemistry between guys seems legit and unforced every time clips of them pop up.

6. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    Just a note: I don’t post things because I find them credible

it’s just because I found them

:ADeyeshift:

7. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

upload_2024-6-5_17-14-7.png

yipes. can't imagine if mpj played for us, making 35 million per, and did THAT in the second round of the playoffs. dlo at 18 per hasn't heard the end of doing similar.

non-stars can't be consistent unless it's consistently bad, right? the every night 14/7 guy isn't a real thing, imo. matchups matter a lot to non-star players, and the wrong opponent can tank things for certain guys. the key is to have roster flexibility such that you can survive when that happens. neither we nor denver did this year.

8. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers All Star -

Lol..SMH..get his a** outta here Rob!! He's going to be giving interviews , on how you aren't showing him enough love either soon. Then promptly go out, and continue to disappear in crunch time, in the games..again..Lol

9. VincePT

VincePT - Rookie -

due to our cap situation, you better hope he opts in or signs a new contract, so we can trade his a**.

if he walks for nothing, it's potentially catastrophic.

OX1947 and abeer3 like this.
  10. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers All Star -

Maybe..there seems to be differing opinions on that around here. I think ultimately, he's going to take the money, our money, and either opt in, or opt out in a S&T.

11. 52years

52years - Rookie -

My question still remains.Who do you trust to be more consistent for a playoff run Porter or DLO? That’s my point.Some guys are more likely than others to have a consistent run.Of course there’s ups and downs that’s why it’s so hard to repeat

12. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

the answer is neither. i'd rather pay dlo 18 than porter 36 for the same problem set, though.

lol, i underestimated the salary difference earlier. mpj makes TWICE what dlo does. and he's celebrated. despite absolutely s***ting the bed as bad as dlo.

Barnstable and lakerjones like this.
  13. fabfourlakers

fabfourlakers - Lakers Starter -

bring him back.

14. fabfourlakers

fabfourlakers - Lakers Starter -

you can't afford to lose him for nothing so u have to bring him back and then maybe you trade him later

15. 52years

52years - Rookie -

LOL

abeer3 likes this.
  16. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

it's really not up to us. i trust that our FO has thought plenty about this and been in contact with dlo's agent and/or others.

i will say that if we let him walk, we better have someone good lined up for the mle spot that it opens (like artest after ariza moreso than gabe after schroder).

17. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

I pretty much had this same conversation with 52 regarding keeping Austin over trading him for Murray.

I feel like more fans need to recognize the whole picture rather than X player is “better” than Y…. Is X player really better than TWO of Y, because that’s what you can potentially get for some of these inflated contracts.

SamsonMiodek, abeer3 and lakerjones like this.
  18. 52years

52years - Rookie -

JH makes 30m with the C Bags and has a 12ppg avg.Would you rather have two players for Jrue or one jrue? Winning players cost money and assets.I see posters advocating for Grant who makes 30m why ? If you can get two players for that price.I suspect it’s because they believe he would be a contributor on a winning team

abeer3 likes this.
  19. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i think it's possible we were one player short of contending last year, and that guy was a mle-level center that can wrassle with the big fellas and let AD roam a bit on defense.

i may be one of those advocating for grant, but if read my posts on that subject, i have some of the same misgivings that i mention above. i'm not entirely sure that grant's enough of an upgrade on rui to justify basically paying him the value of another full mle contract.

jrue holiday has been the third best player on a title team (just a couple years ago). of course i take him over rui and dlo. i'm sure we would have offered that if rui and dlo were tradeable at the time, too. i don't see a jrue holiday out there this year at this moment (maybe draft day trades shake somebody loose?). i'm pretty sure dejounte murray (who's less proven) will actually cost more in trade than holiday did, and i'm pretty sure we don't have the ability to get him. that's the closest one.

one of our issues is that we have no dead salary on short-term contracts. pretty much everyone we pay is worth or close to worth their contract, which means we're losing something on any trade. it's not like with westbrook, when we wouldn't have noticed (or would have improved) if he just disappeared.

for example, everyone forgot him, but not having vando REALLY hurt us this year. he was a part of a VERY successful lineup that nobody but denver could hang with.

anyway, i'm still in favor of diversifying assets outside of lebron/AD unless a no-brainer comes along--that is, a trade for a superstar who can take the reins after lebron/AD. i sell everything for that. but that's not a possibility right now, so i'd like to keep looking for mid-cost rotation players that fit around the stars.

Cookie, 52years and lakerjones like this.
  20. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

he should get same $ or less than Derrick White, his #s aren't crazy big but more consistent 3pt shooter, doesnt need the ball to produce n better defender