D'Angelo Russell Discussion: All Time Lakers Season 3 Point Shooter

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by The Original 81, Jun 25, 2015.

1. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

DLo\Reaves backcourt is just too weak defensively. I would keep Reaves and try and do a S&T with DLo.

2. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Translation: leaving and picking his destination

3. FrontOfJersey22

Yup.
    But, what if there isn’t anyone out there willing to give him that big long term deal he feels that he deserves?

Cookie and Khmrp like this.
  4. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

he's barely worth his current deal

Juronimo and FrontOfJersey22 like this.
  5. FrontOfJersey22

I agree.

6. wcsoldier81

wcsoldier81 - Lakers All Star -

Him and Rui can go

7. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    I'm tempted to run it back with a real coach. Always have the trade deadline to make moves.

but of course with changes to fill the holes in the roster. I'm ok lettling DLO walk and keeping Dinwiddie and Miami guy. If healthy, they suit the need IMO.

JSM, abeer3 and SamsonMiodek like this.
  8. wallangong

wallangong - Lakers 6th Man -

I understand the general sentiment around DLo, but prepare to be underwhelmed and frustrated by whoever his replacement is next year.

JSM, ZenMaster and abeer3 like this.
  9. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

he's actually the perfect offensive fit for lebron and AD--we just stopped using him as a ballhandler as games wore on. maybe some of that was justified trust issues, but we looked better with him initiating than with lebron doing it, imo. and clearly being relegated to a spot up shooter doesn't suit him (or almost anyone, tbh).

i think we're heading for another schroder lose/lose situation, where dlo ends up somewhere worse for him and we end up in a worse situation without him.

i do think that dlo and reaves with lebron at the 4 is just really hard to build a defense around. almost every other team has someone who can blow by our guards and lebron's not much of a deterrent or rebounder anymore. bucket city. denver, ironically, is one of the few teams that doesn't present his problem for us as much (murray's a jump shooter).

FrontOfJersey22 and LTLakerFan like this.
  10. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 - Lakers All Star -

Ham making him a spacer/shooter was one of the few good things he did.

Did no one see what happened when he tried to break down the defense against a locked in Denver team in the 4th with his handle?. Both Murray and KCp either stole the ball or put him in a bad spot.

He score a nice bucket off a designed play but he can not for the life of him get to the rim or get to the line.

One thing the Lakers were able to unlock with him though was the shooting: of course he missed a bunch of open one in the first half but that was probably shooting variance unfortunately. He shot better in the second half

Anyways I like DLo but he's a limited player

Juronimo and NickthaQuick like this.
  11. fabfourlakers

fabfourlakers - Lakers Starter -

Hope he opts in...bcuz if he opts out...we are losing him to Orlando or some team like that.

Losing DLO would be a HUGE blow from both an asset management perspective and just talent perspective. The drop-off will be STEEP as well...so anyone thinking "good riddance" might wanna rethink that. We have to find a way to bring him back at a cost controlled number...something like 2-3 years at $18-20M a year would be good. Then you dump Vincent, and you re-sign Dinwiddie. IDK if DLO will help us in a S&T scenario either....

lakerjones, abeer3 and JSM like this.
  12. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

I will have to agree with this. Am disappointed in his playoff performance, but we won't find anyone better. I'd say keep him and bring Dinwiddie back and we're going to be OK. Maybe see if you can get another player for Rui... see if we can upgrade at the 5.

lakerjones likes this.
  13. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

AR and DLO (as fun as they are), can't play together in the PO. Murray was a great idea, too bad it didn't happen.

14. NickthaQuick

NickthaQuick - Lakers 6th Man -

Yeah Dlo up top handling the ball is a nightmare as the game gets tight. Stupid passes, weak handle, zero strength, zero speed. Park your a** in the corner and shoot/attack close outs.

Pioneer10 likes this.
  15. fabfourlakers

TBH - there's something about DLo that kinda reminds me of Lowry when they went through MULTIPLE years of disappointment in the playoffs for the Raptors before finally having his moment in 2019. Sometimes it just takes time to build chemistry....the Lakers are a BETTER COACH away from beating the f***ing defending champs and by far the best team in the league. I hope the Lakers can see that...and they need act on that. DLO coulda played a lot better, but he DID play better than last year...maybe another year in the playoffs next year he will perform better, who knows? We gotta build something right? Losing DLO does us no favors - we need to keep him to at the very least dangle him in a trade

lakerjones and LTLakerFan like this.
  16. Cookie

Cookie The Dame of Doom Staff Member

Unless there’s some team that comes out of left field or a S&T, I think DLo is overestimating his leverage. ORL might need a PG but do they want a choker in the playoffs. He certainly doesn’t strike me as a Pop kind of player. What team is going to pay him all this money?

abeer3, FrontOfJersey22 and Bryant like this.
  17. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

I agree that we used him wrong, he’s a PG, and we would stop letting him do his thing. But at the same time you have to be able to hit wide open shots in then playoffs, you just have to. Game 1 he shot 1-9 from 3. Game 2 was his only good game at 7-11, but he only made 1 in the 2nd half after a hot first half. Game 3 he was 0-6 and 0-7 overall and put up a ZERO point game. Game 4 in our only win he was good at 4-8, but then last night in game 5 he was 2-10. You cannot have probably your best shooter all season long suddenly disappear this bad and be a non factor. It would suck to lose him for nothing, yes, I hope we can trade him, and we will miss his regular season impact, but man, this is the Lakers, you have to be able to do it in the playoffs. That’s 2 years in a row he failed with us, and I think every year ever he’s done this in the playoffs with his other teams.

Bryant, abeer3, Khmrp and 3 others like this.
  18. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

yeah, i agree. he's done here. i'm a supporter, but he's had two chances and largely wilted twice. i'd tell his agent we'd love to work with him to get him to a place he wants if we can get something we need.

Weezy, Bryant, trodgers and 2 others like this.
  19. fabfourlakers

This is exactly why he might just be right back with us on a friendly little deal. There's no point in DLO going elsewhere at this point...he might as well stick it out with the Lakers, sign a 3-4 year deal at $16-18M per year, and call it a day.

20. fabfourlakers

I think losing him for nothing is SOOOO bad. We cannot make this mistake esp when we gave up a 1st round pick in the deal that brought him here.

Keep him at a reasonable salary that isn't too long of a deal, and he can easily be dealt instead of losing him for nothing