D'Angelo Russell Discussion: All Time Lakers Season 3 Point Shooter

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by The Original 81, Jun 25, 2015.

1. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    The assist rate and ast/to ratios are miles apart.

abeer3 and Barnstable like this.
  2. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

thats fine, but still better than Dlo, as for def you can't possibly say Dlo is that much better than Booker, Dlo per is 15.8, we're impressed with that? Their both bad in their own ways on D, there are other advance stats in favor of booker, he has a better WS, better TS%, and overall thus far in their careers they have the same usage rate. People making all these claims like Booker has a green light to shoot and dlo is here to setup plays, etc. well 4 more shots to dlo vs 2 less asst isn't exactly backing said claims. I'm not touting Booker, but merely suggesting Dlo could match these #'s if he wants to say he's playing at a high lvl for majority of the SEASON.

3. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

I could give two craps if Russell was scoring 30. He did that already his rookie season. We know he can shoot the ball. I didn't care much because our record was garbage, and so is the Suns record.

If we're expecting Russell to lead this team at point, it goes beyond scoring for him. It's chemistry, it's moving the ball, it's taking care of them all. Things a POINT GUARD should be doing.

therealdeal and Barnstable like this.
  4. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

right, so I guess the next time Dlo scores 30 again you wont be in here praising that part right?

5. kobecory8

kobecory8 - Rookie -

Khrmp's avatar is DLo's Ice in his veins so he must like him a little bit

trodgers likes this.
  6. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

I never said I didn't like him....people getting bend of of shape cause Im expecting more from our #2 pick and providing example of a similar player who's been doing what dlo did the last 2-3 gms most of the year

7. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

I'm sure we are all expecting more from DAR but Booker is not a similar player and that's what we are trying to explain to you. Sure their numbers might be similar but again, context of those stats. One is expected to run the offense the other just has to be a shooter/scorer.

Barnstable likes this.
  8. lakerfan2

Did I say that?

9. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

You said you dont care if he scores 30, so because he manages a meager 4.8 asst that he cant be expected to score more pts too?

10. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

What the hell are you even arguing at this point? Do you know?

You've adjusted your argument to the point you've agreed with the people you were arguing with initially. We all now agree that Booker and D'Angelo are good prospects and we like both of them? Then what are we splitting hairs about?

TIME, Battle Tested20 and abeer3 like this.
  11. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

No....i havent adjusted anything. Everything booker does well that id like to see dlo do has context adjustment but dlo has "reasons" for his lack of scoring and fg%....bookers #s for the season matches what dlo did for the 2gm he played well minus the asst which resulted in his high lvl comments but everyone here wants to find anyway to to down play bookers avgs when all i said was dlo should look to booker #s to be considered playing at high lvl

12. OmarE

OmarE - Lakers Starter -

I like Booker a lot, however Booker is a volume shooter, I've watched a ton of Suns games and highlights, Booker is somewhat of a black hole on offense, dlo at leasts moves the ball, plus dlo was injured many times this year and played less minutes then Booker. Booker has one of the worst one on one defenses in the league, dlo is improving. Also they play different positions.

TIME, abeer3 and trodgers like this.
  13. lakerfan2

He's not always going to be getting assist numbers the way a Chris Paul or Steve Nash will. His value lies in his ability to move the ball and execute plays, and it's been very apparent this season how much the ball stops when he's out of the lineup.

Is there no leniency for him to try and get his team involved first instead of looking to score? HIS idea of high level equates to getting the team to executes Luke's system. When you have 5-6 players in double figures because he's able to move the ball around and get people involved, why does it matter if he averages 10ppg vs 20?

John3:16, Barnstable and LTLakerFan like this.
  14. KB24

KB24 Administrator Staff Member

Certified Tax Advisor
    Me personally, I like Russell better than Booker from a basketball perspective, personality-wise I'm not sure. Booker is a good kid, humble and pretty much the opposite of Russell.

Russell has more all-round talent, is a better overall talent even though unable to perform on a nightly basis. The excuse that his stats are "despite low minutes" doesn't count for me. Russell has been yanked many times and didn't play in 4th quarters because he was terrible. His inability to "earn" minutes is a concern because it shows that his value to the team isn't as high as it should be, especially looking how bad the other PGs of this team are. Booker has more value to the Suns than Russell has for us even though Russell has pretty much no competition since there isn't another capable PG on this team. Thats a knock on Russell.

Bottom line is Russell needs to perform better and talk less. Then everything will be fine.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
    TIME, Khmrp, lakerjones and 3 others like this.
  15. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    Didn't include win shares as they're essentially the same. DA has fewer minutes so fewer WS. He does have a higher WS per 48 though. So he's more effective when he plays.

15.8 per from a 20 year old is very good. Noticeably better than 14.4.

Booker has the TS% though.

TIME likes this.
  16. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

I've rated Booker higher than Russell for quite a while. Booker is getting better and better as the season progresses. He's averaged 25.4 pts in January and 24.5 pts in February. Booker is looking like a legit 1st option, and quite frankly, a much better player at the moment.

Khmrp likes this.
  17. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

this is a much clearer and more educated point vs what I was trying to say. I'm not saying who's the better player, I just want Dlo to to show he's as valuable to us as Booker is to pho. I have to agree on the minutes played as well, Dlo isn't getting minutes like Booker because he simply hasnt earned them at least to Luke.

18. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    No one is getting more than 28.4 mpg. Russell has dealt with injuries. It's not about earning more minutes. Luke has a pretty hard cap.

Barnstable and abeer3 like this.
  19. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

booker would be getting 45mpg for the lakers and averaging 30ppg.

therealdeal and Barnstable like this.
  20. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    [​IMG]

abeer3 and Battle Tested20 like this.