D'Angelo Russell Discussion: All Time Lakers Season 3 Point Shooter

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by The Original 81, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

Consider that we also are praising Lou for having his best year stats wise, bringing instant offense off of the bench, but most here still want to trade him. The stats don't tell you how bad he is defensively. His stats don't tell you his stats aren't winning games for this team.

Cousins fills up a stats sheet, yet Sac would gladly get rid of him for the right package because stats don't tell the full story.

That's also why if you listen to the ESPN talking heads about any team, the fans of that team would probably tell you they don't know what they're talking about because they're just looking at stats and empty buzz around the league in their analysis. I can't tell you how many times I've heard them say something insane bout the Lakers and I thought they had no idea what they were talking about.

A deeper understanding of context, and actually watching players play is always needed along with stats to have a good understanding of their ability to play and impact.

sirronstuff and alam1108 like this.
  2. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

Once again your projecting onto booker while not using the same standards to apply to dlo. Is this team winning that much more than pho? I see plenty of instance of how bad defensively dlo is and how lazy and unaware he is alot of time defensively, hell i saw an old a** jameer nelson running circles around him against den

3. Barnstable

I'm saying another team's fans looking just at the stats would say Lou is a keeper, but Lakers fans with a deeper understanding of the circumstance know we probably need to trade him.

What you're doing with Booker is similar. He looks really good stat wise, but there's a reason why the term "empty stats" exist. You can't say Booker is definitely better than Dlo without the full story. It's not just about stats

trodgers and EddieEddie like this.
  4. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

Never said hes better, said dlo should talk to booker bout what playimg at high lvl. Again this team is as bad as pho, are we gona say our guys put up empty stats too?

5. Barnstable

Hum? That question makes no sense in the context of this discussion.

You're the only one claiming the Stats of Bookers scoring tell the story. Most of us seem to be saying stats don't tell you everything for Booker or Russell

6. Punk-101

Punk-101 - Lakers Starter -

no one, if that was his role...a green light scorer. If he was a scorer being compared to another player taking on multiple, more difficult roles, we'd say it's not fair. Apples to oranges.

John3:16 and Barnstable like this.
  7. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

No i didnt use just the 21ppg...I said dlo should ask booker what playing at high lvl means and someone wanted to use advance stats to justify dlo play to bookers. Sure we can apply context for raw stats but you tell me how you gona back dlo 34% 3pt shooting to bookers 37% both take bout 5+/gm

8. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

More like selective memory....as for roles well...booker avg 3asst to dlo 5, im not exactly sure how much greater of a play maker dlo is to booker....

9. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    Wasn't getting a ton of playing time for some reason. I thought Russell was fantastic out there last night.

I didn't like how Luke stuck with Lou in the entire 4th quarter. Russ was playing a real control, calculated game out there. Those no look passes to Ingram and Young (missed the layup) were awesome!

therealdeal likes this.
  10. Punk-101

Punk-101 - Lakers Starter -

Imagine I tell person A to do one thing really well to do another thing as needed kind of secondarily. Person B I tell to do both things really well all the time, but there's a certain time and place when to and when not to. It makes perfect sense that person A is going to excel at his specialty while also being ok st his secondary task while person B has a longer learning curve. It's totally unfair to expect person B to perform like person A.

Barnstable, therealdeal and John3:16 like this.
  11. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    What does it mean to play at a high level, if Booker is doing it?

abeer3, Weezy and LaVarBallsDad like this.
  12. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

You'd have to look into how those attempts are taken. What percentage are from moving off the ball getting open looks, as a SG like Booker should, and what percentage is from creating the shot whether one one one, or pick and roll, etc...

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Booker isn't the primary ball handler on the Suns and isn't responsible for creating his own shots, which he is pretty good at on his own right. D'Angelo, though, has the responsibility of calling and running the plays, and if the team doesn't execute, he's going to be put into situations where he's going to have to take low percentage shots.

Barnstable and Punk-101 like this.
  13. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

DAR is being asked to run an offensive system and going up against the star PGs of the league.

Booker is the shooting guard with the green light to shoot whenever he has the ball. Bledsoe is the one running the offense over in Phoenix.

That's the context.

14. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

Booker creates his own shots, you guys just nit picking. Dlo can go for 4/6 and people praise him, booker shoots 19x a gm and scores 30 but shoots to much, isnt a play maker but avg 3 asst a gm. You guys saw the last pho gm, booker can do exactly what dlo does. Dlo takes bad shots majority of the time cause he wants to not cause he has too, like the deep 3 he took a few gms back, where he pulls up his dribble early in the shot clock but since hes open he took it anyways like nearly half court. Everyone wants to down play bookers #s but again if dlo started the scoring like booker the week he had multiple 30pt gms everyone here would hang all over his sack and call him a super star in the making.....call a spade a spade, what dlo doing is fine but booker is doing better and i would hope people dont use the maturity/age factor, booker is younger than dlo

15. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

Use all the context you like, we all saw the last pho gm against la, alot of what people using to down play booker isnt true, hes just as capable of playing dlo role just as well as oppose to ex0ecting dlo to olay bookers role as well as booker

16. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    Booker doesn't shoot 19 times for 30, which is impressive. He shoots 18 times for 21.

abeer3, Weezy and John3:16 like this.
  17. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

You're just nitpicking as much as I am.

And I never said Booker CANT do that, I'm saying that's not his role. Read what I said again. His role is to score and that's what he does. Russell's role is to initiate the offense whether he shoots it or sets someone up.

Apples and oranges here folks.

abeer3 likes this.
  18. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

that was a 1 gm example....context sir. and if you gona throw shades how bout you provide Dlo #'s too instead of just per 36 cause at the moment he takes 13 shots to score 14pts and is shooting 39% from the field.

19. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

more like a double standard.....like I said if Dlo avg #'s like Booker is right now, who in here is going to complain about #'s like that from a 20yr old 2nd yr player? 3asst to 5asst isn't exactly some grand canyon like gap to suggest Dlo is that much better of a player in that dept over Booker. I held off on commenting on booker last year cause both teams were pretty bad but Dlo had it worse with Scott messing with him but he has the coach he wanted, his stats are barely marginal better than last yr. There's nothing wrong with what I said in regards to wanting to see Russell have comparable #'s to booker if he going to say he's "playing at a high lvl" and for what like 2-3 gms, I mean had we lost to NY people would be all over his stat line last night but since we won without his "presence" a stat line of 4/6 is highly praised....we got low standards here.

20. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    You're the one touting Booker. He has a sub 15 PER, a negative VORP, and it's clear why - he's a one-dimensional volume shooter.

DA's 14.5/13 isn't far off Booker's "high level" 21 on 18. 1.19 vs 1.12. If that's what Booker's calling card is, color me unimpressed.

What would I think of him as a 20 year old player on our team? I'd feel similar to how I feel about Randle. I'd be hoping he learns to play defense or makes a jump in another area - shooting or playmaking.

abeer3 likes this.