D'Angelo Russell Discussion: Adopting A Professional Attitude

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by The Original 81, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

To your last question, in large part yes, IMO. Pincus makes some good points, and he too says what is hurting our team development is Kobe chucking threes. He mentioned that Paul and Irving (maybe Kidd too, I forget) were PG's that did well under Byron. What he failed to mention is that none of those guys had a Kobe demanding the ball, nothing even close to it.

Like you said on the previous page, it isn't a coincidence that Fisher, and to a larger extent Sessions and Nash turned into guys that brought the ball up to give it to Kobe. Fish might have not been a true PG, so accounting for that, you could say Nash and Sessions were turned into Fisher. Before those guys did we ever really have a true PG? I don't think so, partly because of the triangle, but I think also partly because what was the point with having Kobe.

2. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

I'm giving Russell a bit of slack right now.

I understand the complaints about Russell's play, but honestly he's a rookie starting in the first 6 games of the season and I'm not too worried yet. If he's still playing tentatively after allstar break, then I'll be a bit more concerned.

Most rookies take a while to acclimate to the NBA, a new team, feel like they know what they're doing, and get it going. Being taken 2nd when we could have taken Okafor is generating most of the pressure IMO, but I think they are on different paths to development due to minutes, their rolls on their teams etc. I'm content to wait and see who comes out as the better player at the end of the season.

3. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Sessions didn't have Kobe's respect. Paul would have, and Nash did; however, Nash wasn't ever the same after he broke his leg. I believe Kobe would have played more off ball with Nash if Nash were healthy.

LTLakerFan and ElginTheGreat like this.
  4. LaVarBallsDad

If we didn't take Russell, we would have taken Kristaps. Okafor was 3rd on our draft board.

therealdeal and ElginTheGreat like this.
  5. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    We have no control over it but that number 1 pick would have been so much better. Towns is a beast. Okafor would have been awesome, too. And Kristaps was not a wrong pick contrary to Stephen A's stupid rant.

I wanted Hezonja and he's struggling too like Russell but as history dictates you never know. Who would have thought Conley would have an infinitely better career than his college Center taken first.

I see Russell have some flashes and pray that he isn't a bust like most Laker haters would like him to be.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  6. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    I'm trying, but I'm not a very patient person. I'm starting to see glimpses of what's to come (something I did not see in the Summer league or preseason). So that's encouraging. I just hope the training wheels are taken off soon. I'm afraid we won't know what we have until Kobe is gone.

7. LaVarBallsDad

This is all according to Pincus: Lakers liked Russell, didn't like Mudiay's shooting or decision making . Okafor 'loafed' through his two workouts. The Lakers were intrigued by Kristaps.

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  8. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    We are such a poorly coached team, it's hard to get a read on if ANYONE is doing what they are supposed to do.

9. LaVarBallsDad

You know what's funny? We take anybody else at 2 other than Russell and he's averaging 14 and 6 somewhere else in a system taking advantage of his skilllset, and some wonder if we made the wrong choice.

Point is anybody that we drafted would be going through the same struggles, IMO. Mind you, Russell isn't blameness and needs to be more assertivertive out there. However, I don't think he is being put in the best position to succeed right now

10. LaVarBallsDad

Stunting players development and not winning. Byron has managed to accomplish both

11. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

I never liked Mudiay. His decision making is poor, displayed by his high turnover rate. And the scouting was right about his shooting. I always preferred Russell. As for Kristaps, I don't know how he'd fit next to Randle, unless he gains like 50lb and becomes a stretch 5. I wanted Okafor but that ship has sailed.

Russell definitely has the best IQ out of the bunch and I'm glad his shots are starting to fall. He is the best fit next to Clarkson and Randle, with his calm demeanor, passing ability, and 3-point range. He slows down the pace when necessary, and it bodes well with the other two who are constantly in attack mode. I love the dynamic we have with those three going forward. I don't think we'd regret the pick even if Okafor ends up being the better individual player, because in 3-4 years the sum of our parts (the Big 3) will be so great no one would care.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  12. wcsoldier81

wcsoldier81 - Lakers All Star -

Kristaps is very intriguing but his body holding up seems like a big IF imo

13. wcsoldier81

wcsoldier81 - Lakers All Star -

I read this argument used by Pincus several times and it's a very stupid one ....

Jason Kidd and CP3 were going to run the show and be great PGs regardless of the coach .

Scott had very little to nothing to do with these teams success.

Look at Scott record without Kidd and Paul

14. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

15. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    I'm perfectly okay with where Russell is now, and I think he'll continue to grow steadily throughout the season. He'll finish one of the top 5 rookies, for sure, and I wouldn't be surprised if he's top 3. And that's really about all we can ask for year 1.

Barnstable likes this.
  16. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    Where is Sports Science D'Angelo? The superhuman awareness? I did not see any of that at all in these six games.

Chillbongo and therealdeal like this.
  17. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Who said that .....just asking as you say it with certainty and 1st time I have read anywhere?

Edit. I see a couple posts later you attributing that to Pincus. Interesting to hear the term loafed through his workouts. Must have been waay too over confident, considering how badly he wanted to be a Laker. Screwed himself, "possibly".

18. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

He's aware, no one is open. You can thank Byron for that too.

19. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Well in order to create those lanes you have to a) drive into the paint and open lanes yourself or b) be on the fast break.

Right now D'Angelo is not comfortable driving to the rim because he's not strong/explosive enough to finish inside. That should come with time, but right now he ALWAYS stops at the elbow and either takes the jumper or passes out. Teams are willing to let him take the jumper. The problem: if he misses, Roy/Randle aren't getting to the front of the rim to rebound. The shot rims out and the Center/Forward who gave D'Angelo the cushion just turns around and boxes our guys out. End of possession, going the other direction. Things will change as D'Angelo gets more comfortable shooting the ball and driving to the rim. He's got to learn how to get there craftily instead of explosively and that kind of skill will take time. He's only 19 and he's got a long, long way to go.

abeer3 likes this.
  20. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

^this, and i disagree that he's not seeing the floor. given that he has yet to successfully complete a dribble drive to the basket, the fact that he keeps finding folks in the halfcourt is sort of miraculous.

and his basket allergy isn't all about physicality, imo. tj mcconnell (smaller and slower, though stronger) gets there enough to keep defenses honest. and he can't even shoot. there's no good reason why russell can't make himself more of a threat going to the basket. that's either scheming or psychology.

therealdeal likes this.