D'Angelo Russell Discussion: Adopting A Professional Attitude

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by The Original 81, Jun 25, 2015.

1. johnnyboy

johnnyboy - Lakers 6th Man -

Im Satoshi Nakamoto
    I don't disagree that part of his lack of "superstar potential" is because of byron. I still think hes super slow and that his potential is overrated. Regardless of scheme.

2. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

Lol. Sad but accurate.

gcclaker and lakersyunowin like this.
  3. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  4. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

^yeah, maybe i'm missing something watching these games, but i don't see how the offensive problems can be tied to russell. nor do i notice anything obviously terrible on d.

5. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

I thought he played really well once again yesterday. I'm liking his increased aggressiveness out there and it should be fun to watch his growth on the court. I felt like he was more in his groove yesterday running the offense than I've seen before.

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  6. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

What part of his potential is overrated?

7. Lakers2015

Lakers2015 - Lakers Starter -

Based on what?

Russell has shown a great court vision, made some great passes when the ball has actually been in his hands, on screen and rolls especially the last two games has been very efficient with them, defense has been decent, been far more aggressive. How is that overrated potential?

8. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Then I'm not sure what else to say about it Ras. I've seen plenty of guys who respond to getting benched. That's why so many coaches do it. In six games it's hard to say if it is/isn't working, but to say you see zero connection there tells me you just don't want to see it that way. That's fine. I'm saying it's a method that's old because it works. So far he's playing better than the start of the year. Is it connected? Could be. I don't see how you can say it isn't with any certainty.

9. therealdeal

Agreed.

10. lakerfan2

I think someone is trying to refrain from the use of the term, "Athleticism".

:Ha:

11. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    I'll tell you one thing he's got down pat -- pick and roll, he gets his man on his hip and dribbles 2 or 3 times into the lane and stops and shoots. So difficult for the defender to not foul him. Just needs to perfect that shot and get the pick setter to roll every time.

12. therealdeal

Ben Rosales (who I don't like), Darius Soriano (who is alright), and Eric Pincus have been going at it on twitter. I like it.

Either Rosales or Soriano said something to the effect of "Russell's role in the offense is different than a PGs" and Pincus said that was a baseless assumption. Pincus said that whatever you have to say about Scott's system being bad, he's had great success with PGs in it. What they're trying to do is force Russell to be more assertive on the floor. So far, D'Angelo has been just as much at fault for not producing as Byron (according to Pincus). It's Pincus's opinion that D'Angelo has free reign to run pick and rolls instead of offensive sets if he so chooses, but D'Angelo tends to let the offense run instead of controlling the offense himself.

Pincus's point is last season Clarkson played PG and produced an All-Rookie 1st Team performance. D'Angelo has that talent certainly, but isn't aggressive enough to go get it. They're trying to make him more aggressive.

Rosales is adamant that it's the system's fault that Russell isn't producing.

Pincus is right about D'Angelo, but he also needs to be encouraged to take over more by his TEAMMATES. Kobe is as much a problem to D'Angelo's development as Byron is. Probably more.

13. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

Been following that debate myself. Some interesting points on all sides. I think the answer is somewhere in the middle.

And I do think his teammates could push him to take over a bit more. Especially Kobe given that he seems to genuinely respect him and goes to him for advice and guidance.

LaVarBallsDad likes this.
  14. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

I like Pincus. I've been following him all season. I think all his points are fair and well reasoned. I think Russell's performances have been steadily trending upwards, and he's gaining more confidence. Could he be used better? I thinks so, but I'm also not concerned about it this early in the season. I think his development is extremely important, but at the rate we're going (sound like a broken record) he'll have his chances after January when the season is lost and we're essentially only playing for the development of the young players.

Also, I think Pincus is the only one defending Scott right now; LOL.

lakerjones and ElginTheGreat like this.
  15. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

Emplay > Pincus ;) :giggle:

16. lakerfan2

Yeah, I'm slowing seeing DLo get a little bit more of a pep in his step when he dribbles now. He's definitely getting more and more comfortable out there.

I'm not worried about him one bit. Especially the way Clarkson exploded during the 2nd half of the season last year after really no telltale signs of that type of game in him.

He'll be fine.

LTLakerFan, ElginTheGreat and Kenzo like this.
  17. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i won't get worried about russell until these trends continue for a good chunk of a season. he's barely played in nba games. it's easy to forget how inexperienced he and randle are. just look at clarkson now versus early in his playing time last year. there's a lot of growth that can happen. i actually wonder if all the early losing might end up hastening some of it like it did for clarkson last year, too. right now, they're still really focused on winning games (they suck at it, but they want to do it). when that pressure eases a bit, maybe we see russell starting to stretch himself a bit.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
  18. Punk-101

Punk-101 - Lakers Starter -

I'm surprised to hear Pincus say that Russell can run PnR anytime he wants. Russell looks tentative to fit in and try to run the Princeton out of fear of being benched, IMO.

If Byron really is letting Russell run PnR any time he wants, I wonder what is causing him to be so timid? Nash looked EXACTLY the same in D'Antoni's offense. Was it because Nash wasn't healthy? Maybe somewhat. Is it Kobe neutering Pgs?

therealdeal likes this.
  19. lakerfan2

Essentially, having such a ball dominant, shooting guard/forward who can create his own shots does neuter the need to make a playmaking point guard.

For Russell's development this year, it's not in the best interest for Kobe to be the crutch of the offense. Whether it's Kobe, or Byron, the fact of the matter is, D'Angelo is also going to have to show the initiative and assertiveness to "convince" these two stubborn hard heads that he can truly take the helm.

This is with any player really, Kobe just never really gave anyone free reign unless he knew he'd be fine off the ball. The only players to ever really garner that from him was Shaq, Pau, Lamar, and Fish.

Is it ideal? No. I personally don't think so. But, it may lead Russell down a different path as many have insinuated. Maybe it'll force him to step his game up and really prove his worth. Maybe it'll light a fire under him to have to earn that trust rather than just be given the silver spoon from the get go.

We have to admit it, we were spoiled with Kobe and success for such a long time. We expect immediate development, especially from a top 2 pick, especially with his peers seemingly excel around him. It's hard to watch the grass grow, but this is what we have to do. Kobe and Byron may be the shade to the sunlight he desperately seeks, but it could give him the opportunity to grow without it and become a more dynamic player in the long run.

LTLakerFan and Punk-101 like this.
  20. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Nice hard to watch grass grow > in shade > needing more sunlight "smack". :Magic Brows:

KareemtheGreat33 likes this.