D'Angelo Russell Discussion: Adopting A Professional Attitude

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by The Original 81, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

The thing with Kobe is he was drafted 13th and on a team of vets. I didn't even know who he was, but when he got in the game and did something amazing we were impressed and buzzing about the flashes we saw from him. He was behind a guy like Eddie Jones though, and expectations weren't sky high for him, he had lots of time. Maybe some had higher expectations because we traded Vlade for him, but I never liked Vlade anyway.

Russell doesn't have that luxury. He was taken 2nd, our highest pick in 30 years, and surrounded by other talented choices. He doesn't have the time Kobe had, whether he needs it or deserves it, which clearly he does. We as fans need to be patient for sure, but the media is not going to be that way, and they really don't have to be as they see what Okafor and others are doing. Their job is to write stuff like that, they love it.

John3:16 and shoe like this.
  2. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

He was decent last game. He's showing progress. Little by little...you can't rush these things.

lakerjones likes this.
  3. LaVarBallsDad

4. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Agreed. I also think that bringing him along slowly is fine and making him earn his time is fine, but how does he earn his time when he's not given the opportunity? I don't think he's shown enough fire and heart out there, but maybe that's not his personality? He's not Randle or Kobe, let him be D'Angelo. Just show me what makes him a #2 pick. So far he's not had the opportunity to do that and that blame pie goes: 70% Byron/ 20% D'Angelo/ 10% the Lakers roster/FO for not having more control over the situation. If Byron is playing this wrong, MAKE him play it right.

Weezy likes this.
  5. johnnyboy

johnnyboy - Lakers 6th Man -

Im Satoshi Nakamoto
    Im watching the guy that was getting burned by Ricky Rubio and Rondo. They were MUUUCH faster than Russell. Who are YOU watching?

6. johnnyboy

johnnyboy - Lakers 6th Man -

Im Satoshi Nakamoto
    I agree 100%

7. TheGreatOneKobe

TheGreatOneKobe - Rookie -

He's only 19. He'll get much better. Shoot he'll be better by the end of the year.

Just last year it took Wiggins awhile to get adjusted to the NBA

I really liked Dante Exum a couple years ago so as long as Russell is better than Exum in 3 years, I'll be happy.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  8. LaVarBallsDad

Rondo only scored 4 pts on Russell. If you look in the X's and O's thread it will breakdown all the ways Rubio scored and why; you'll see it wasn't only Russell making mistakes.

ElginTheGreat and LTLakerFan like this.
  9. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

As well with Shaq's oldest boy coming up in 3 or 4 years. He's going to be something. :Kaream Surprise:

10. fabulus

fabulus - Rookie -

The expectations for Kobe were to be the next Michael when he got into the le
    Agreed but Kobe was drafted 13th out of HS in a phenomenal draft class. He was already being talked about as potentially the second coming of Michael. He had unbelievable expectations of him. But you're right, he didn't have the pressure of turning around a storied franchise solely on his shoulders like Russell does. I don't remember a player on on any team much less the Lakers coming into a situation with this much pressure as what Russell is dealing with. I mean you have the Owner putting his own job on the line. Really Randle'so under a ton of pressure too, but not like Russell.

11. Lakers2015

Lakers2015 - Lakers Starter -

Hate to say it, but Russell isn't doing anything to silence the critics. I mean I understand we still aren't using him right, but you have to play with some fire, some aggression, command the ball, attack, don't just settle for being an outside shooter. He took seven three's tonight. Clearly Kobe is rubbing off on him and not in a good way. Attack the basket, get to the line, crash the board, get in passing lanes. I mean you're better than this Russell.

12. lakersyunowin

lakersyunowin - Lakers 6th Man -

He looked passive there for most of the game. There was a little more assertiveness in the 4th but it was almost too late. I think it's the spectre of Kobe hanging over everyone. They want to pay deference while he's on the floor with them, but it's doing no one any favors.

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  13. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

I didn't see the first half, but I thought he played okay for stretches in the second. He started getting going hitting back to back threes so naturally Byron benched him. He looked more aggressive, but he does need to get his shot going more consistently and stop coming out cold. I can't help but wonder if he plays waiting for the hook to come from Byron. He's got to just play. You can tell when he gets relaxed that his shot starts falling and he starts making good passes (even if our bigs never manage to convert the plays).

I think they were jacking up threes because we were down, but worries about Kobe's shot selection rubbing off on him could be valid.

LaVarBallsDad likes this.
  14. LaVarBallsDad

Not a great first half; looked better in the second. Again, 2nd pick we've had in years, 19 years of age, etc. Clarkson wasn't even playing at this time last year if we remember correctly. He excelled in the 2nd half of the season and his starting right now. Then again, he wasn't the 2nd pick and didn't come with the expectations, and I understand that. We have to give this kid sometime, though. Yes, I'm bias; I loved Russell coming out, and I was ecstatic the Lakers picked him. Nonetheless, I'm aware he struggled in SL, and he didn't necessarily have a strong preseason. But I still see him progressing little by little...he'll be a far different player by the April/May than he is now.

15. ElginTheGreat

I completely agree with this but I am worried about his development under Byron. From playing him injured in the summer league to playing him out of position opening night, I don't want him to ruin the kid.

Kenzo and LaVarBallsDad like this.
  16. LaVarBallsDad

I think Russell will be fine. He's a 19 year old rookie trying to do what the coach is requesting of him which is 'organizing the offense.' That's a lot different than being handed the keys over and running pick and roll over and over again like they do for Mudiay in Denver; although, that's what we should be doing. We should be catering to all our core's strengths. Either way, I think Byron does himself in and is gone by the summer. That problem will take care of itself...

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  17. lakersyunowin

lakersyunowin - Lakers 6th Man -

Ireland: "How's the confidence in here (the locker room) now at 0-3?"
    DAR: "I dunno...*looks around*...I dunno."

Thanks Byron!

trodgers, alam1108, Kenzo and 2 others like this.
  18. Dratini927

Dratini927 - Rookie -

Russell in his postgame when asked by Ireland, "How is the confidence in the locker room?" Replied, "I don't know, I don't know." Not a good sign. Even Jordan Clarkson had a weak answer. I want to see how Russell guards Mudiay.

19. LaVarBallsDad

^Sounds like a Byron Scott led locker room.

Kenzo, sirronstuff and ElginTheGreat like this.
  20. ElginTheGreat