D'Angelo Russell Discussion: Adopting A Professional Attitude

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by The Original 81, Jun 25, 2015.

1. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

We definitely need patience with D'angelo, but I'll be the first to admit that Jahlil posting 26/7 in his first game makes it a bit harder.

2. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i posted before the game that the other rooks were having great debuts, and i kind of feared this for russell. what i didn't expect is for him not to play pg. if that's the plan, don't start him. he's a pg and needs to play it. i think byron tried to fix it by monkeying with the rotation in the second half. unfortunately, that meant going away from the unit that built the lead in the first half. sorta bad all around there.

don't like that russell looks tentative out there. clarkson never really has, nor has randle. he torched a double team once and then lost the ball because he didn't have the confidence to go right at the rim/defense.

discouraging game, to be sure, but a lot of the issues look fixable to me. many even in the short term.

edit: and i wanted okafor on draft night, too. i've sold myself on russell, but there's no way that won't always be in the back of our minds.

3. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

I watched a good bit of the other games.

I must admit, I liked Kristaps and think he could prove a lot of people wrong before its all over.

Mudiay is a good playmaker. I liked that the Nuggets are just living with his mistakes and letting him run the point. He had a lot of turnovers but a solid debut for him.

Okafor was what I expected. Good on offense but not very good on defense. He will put up great numbers most nights though because the Sixers are awful again.

Saw a few snippets of Justise Winslow And Montrezl Harrell and both looked solid from what I saw.

Overall, I think this is going to end up being a really good crop of players.

4. VinMillerHearn24

VinMillerHearn24 - Rookie -

I don't know. I was real high on DLo when we picked him, but after watching summer league, pre-season, and the first game, in my opinion, he hasn't made that much improvement. He is real hesitant, he isn't quick, he can't stay in front of his man, he can't get by his guy even with a pick being set for him. I get it, he needs time to improve and adjust, but it's real hard to feel good after seeing what all the other rookies did.

5. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

My biggest concern for Russell is going to be the fact there is only one ball. We have several ball dominant smalls and even a pf who can take it coast to coast any time he grabs a board. I'm not hating on Kobe, but his propensity to dominate the ball along with Clarkson being a pg/sg hybrid...Lou Williams coming in off the bench. Russell isn't going to even have a chance to develop his game. Like ElginTheGreat said, Mudiay will be allowed to mess up and truly run the point. Russell won't get that same chance I'm afraid. He needs to be let loose. We can't afford to stunt his growth his rookie season.

LTLakerFan and ElginTheGreat like this.
  6. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

Come on guys, it took Kobe a couple years to even become a consistent player.

Russell has shown flashes of what he can do, and that's what we got from a young Kobe.

It'll be hard to watch there other more "NBA ready" players seem to outplay him, and constantly compare him, but this is what we've gone with and it's the first game of the season. I'm sure many Laker fans were scratching our heads wondering why we traded a good center for an 18-year old kid, while many other college proven players were still on the board.

Just be glad he stayed healthy to play the next game and enjoy his development through the season, because you're going to see lots of it.

LTLakerFan, 432J and lakerjones like this.
  7. ElginTheGreat

Yeah. There aren't a lot of shots left with so many shooters and score first guys.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  8. ElginTheGreat

My expectations for Russell statistically weren't that high to be honest. 8 to 10 points with handful of assists and rebounds.

My frustration was more how we used him than anything else.

D-Fish Man, LTLakerFan, tada and 6 others like this.
  9. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

Agreed with Lakerfan2. We've got to be patient with Russell, he's so young and this was his first true NBA game. I thought he did all right, but I do also agree with abeer3. He needs to develop at PG. I still think he should do that now with the starters more than the bench since Huertas looks so good with that squad. It's going to take some time though for him to get comfortable and find his role there. He's got a long way to go, but what I see from him I like.

I was also one of the guys here who wanted Okafor but like I said before, I see the direction we are going in and I'm on board with Russell and not into looking back. Hibbert's D and hustle looked really good last night. I'll take that with the playmaking combo guard matched with the athletic Clarkson and dynamic offensive ability of Randle and hope we can add an All Star wing player next summer. In the meantime there are going to be some growing pains.

10. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

This isn't my issue with Russell. My issue is we won't see his development when we have so many ball-dominant players on the floor with him. For Russell to develop and excel he needs to have the ball in his hands. He played 26 minutes last night and it felt like he played 10.

11. pop pop

pop pop - Rookie -

Yeah once Russell starts to mess up, Scott is gonna take him out for lou will or Huertas.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  12. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

I do want Russell to play PG though not SG as he did yesterday. I don't think Byron knew what he was going to do with Russell at all.

LTLakerFan and ElginTheGreat like this.
  13. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

And we saw the same thing with Kobe. Kobe didn't even start.

We had Shaq, Nick the Quick, Eddie, Ceballos playing ahead of him. Kobe ultimately just made things happen despite having a garbage coach like Del Harris.

It's up to D'Angelo to make strides, command the ball, and make things happen on his own. Byron can only stand there and call out plays. If D'Angelo is going to be that next level player, he's going to be able to make those calls himself. Ultimately, he will get the time, the ball, as some players fade out.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  14. fly2thesky0808

fly2thesky0808 - Rookie -

I think Russell will have more freedom with the 2nd unit. Swap him with Lou. Let him and Huertas run the 2nd unit.

15. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

It's one game, but damn this kid looked shook up. The Lakers need him to not be tentative out there. I know Byron told him to stand in the corner, but still go impact the game differently. Go get all the rebounds, dive on the floor, bring some fire and energy and find ways to impact the game.

Still, he's 19 and I don't think he's ready yet. I said it before the draft and I'll keep saying it for probably another year or two but this kid has a long way to go. I get wanting to bring him along slowly and I understood Byron's move here with Russell as the de facto SG instead of PG, but clearly Russell isn't comfortable/useful there. Either let him run the offense more or put him on the bench.

Again, just one game so I'm not counting anything out but man for us guys that wanted Okafor or even Mudiay these first couple years of waiting are going to be brutal. :D

16. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Kobe wasn't the #2 pick with sky-high expectations. He was brought into a team of vets and had to wait. Russ has been brought onto a team of young dudes and should be given the ball and the green light. I'm with Elgin and Savory here, I'm not down on Russ, I'm down on how he's being used. I said in game time that he's not a PG quite yet. Well, he never will become one if he never touches the damn ball. Russell and Clarkson play much better together without Kobe.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  17. ElginTheGreat

On a team with Kobe, Clarkson, Lou, Randle, and Swaggy, we don't really need Russell to average a ton of points. We need someone who can run the offense and get the ball to our scorers.

LTLakerFan and lakerjones like this.
  18. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    Honestly it probably won't matter who is starting or coming off the bench as long as our coach is Byron Scott. We are playing pickup basketball out there, and we are at a coaching disadvantage literally every game we play.

19. Lakers2015

Lakers2015 - Lakers Starter -

Byron isn't even calling plays. They aren't even running an offense. They put the ball in Clarkson's hands and he'd either drive it or give it Kobe and let him chuck up 30 footers. This is a young kid who needs to have plays called for him. He needs to be involved. Clarkson and Kobe were so ball dominant there wasn't much Russell could do. Clarkson and Russell need to be the predominant ball handlers and Russell with his court vision and play making ability needs the ball in his hands and Kobe needs to play off the ball.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  20. lakersyunowin

lakersyunowin - Lakers 6th Man -

Byron makes Sam Mitchell look like Phil Jackson

LTLakerFan likes this.