D'Angelo Russell Discussion: Adopting A Professional Attitude

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by The Original 81, Jun 25, 2015.

1. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

If they have anything in common is that Russell isn't a high fly act that will expose himself to injury like a Derrick Rose. If anything, that will save him from early wear and tear.

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  2. pound4pound

pound4pound - Lakers Starter -

Mike Bresnahan @Mike_Bresnahan

Lakers will start Kobe, Clarkson, Hibbert, Randle + an unknown 5th player, Byron said. He's not quite ready to commit to D'Angelo as starter

3. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

That's it Byron..... start jerking with his head like you did guys last year. [​IMG]

Not like Huertas won't have problems physically against 1st stringers. I know some like this move if that's what it is with him coming off the bench, but I'm in the camp of get him out there with Clarkson and let's see at least how it goes when the stakes are for real. Keep him on a relatively short leash. For awhile at least. Would like to see him out there with Kobe too.

Toklat likes this.
  4. SeasonVet24

SeasonVet24 - Rookie -

I actually think Russell will be better coming off the bench. He's too young and inexperience.

5. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

I would agree if we were borderline contending but we aren't. Why not give him experience with Clarkson, Randle and possibly Hibbert for the future. I'm all for trial by fire.

If Russell isn't starting I thing we start Kobe and JC as the guards and Brown or Metta at SF. Huertas would get destroyed by starting PGs

ElginTheGreat and LTLakerFan like this.
  6. kdctran

kdctran - Rookie -

I'm in the camp of starting Russell and let him grow by his mistakes. In preseason, Russell didn't look well playing with Young and Lou; he's too timid out there with all those guys needing the ball.

Kenzo, LTLakerFan and John3:16 like this.
  7. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

Before pre-season I thought Russell would work better coming off the bench. And there was one game this pre-season where he looked fantastic with the bench before Huertas recovered from injury. Russell was hitting Young, Lou, Kelly and Black in perfect position. The next game wasn't quite as spectacular but still decent.

After seeing him most of the time with the starters though this pre-season I wouldn't have any problems with him in that lineup either. No matter what I'm looking forward to his development this year. If he has to earn a little more trust I get that.

8. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

I'd start him. He needs to learn on the job, in the spotlight, with the other 2 young guys. Huertas can run the bench, start Russell.

9. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Kobe came in as a 18 year old and didn't start for 2 years. Admittedly, he had an All Star in front of him, but he earned it.

I'm not against D Russ starting, but if he's not playing well, I'd have him on a short leash.

I'm not a fan of Byron Scott the coach, but his track record with guards is pretty good. I doubt he screws this up.

Barnstable and LTLakerFan like this.
  10. Purp n Gold

Purp n Gold - Rookie -

He will be fine, but we'll have to be patient with Russell. Unless Kobe strictly plays 3, our guard rotation is loaded with vets and JC is ready to have a breakout season. I just don't see Russell having that huge rookie year. Russell will have to play well to earn his PT, which is not a bad thing.

lakerjones and John3:16 like this.
  11. RasAlgethi

RasAlgethi Moderator Staff Member

I'd start him. He's better defender than huertas for one. Two, the second unit desperately needs the kind of creator Huertas is, the first unit not so much.

12. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

This is important. Huertas is a great floor general and he'll be able to get the ball to Lou/Nick/Kelly in their favorite spots and find Black/Bass on the roll. The starters are filled will initiators and creators, Russell could also be used to spread the floor, something Huertas can't do.

13. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

Prime Kidd, beast CP3 and all-star Irving does not count. Name others ;)

John3:16 likes this.
  14. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    This is what the preseason was for Byron. You do realize you're the only coach who doesn't know who they are playing yet? And the only coach that didn't even use something resembling a regular season rotation EVEN ONCE during the preseason right?

Pure genius, this keeping them on their toes game you are playing....:Woozyshaq:

15. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

I'd start him. I think it's better for him to be surrounded by better players. huertas looks more able to captain a weaker second unit right now. plus, I thought Russell disappeared some when sharing the floor with lou, who's not going utilize Russell's solid off-ball play on offense (except to set up his own scoring).

LTLakerFan and lakerjones like this.
  16. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

/\ /\ /\ ....whereas Kobe will plus lots of other fun ways of working with him. As will Jordan and Julius and Roy. He's the better defender too, as others have pointed out and how are we supposed to have our own Splash Bros lite if Russell is running with the 2nd string. Can the LB designated GM get ahold of Byron, shake him and get him thinking right please.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
    sirronstuff likes this.
  17. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    Is it a new feature that a page ask you to confirm if you like the post? or it's just when you like sirronstuff's post? If it's the latter, good job mods:Laugh:

18. KB24

KB24 Administrator Staff Member

Certified Tax Advisor
    I'm highly in favor of starting him even though I think he has to earn it and justify that.

I think Huertas is a pass first and pass second type of PG who works best with Young and Lou...I also think Russell, if supposed to be our franchise player at some point, should be out there playing and learning on the fly.

With that said...at the end of the day it doesn't matter. Kobe was also a bench player in his first years...so Russell can come off the bench for a year with no issues.

19. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Yeah, I don't mind either scenario. Put him in the best position to succeed. Huertas hamstring is still iffy, so he's already touch in go. Maybe you start Russell off the bench than gradually bring him along...

lakerjones likes this.
  20. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    He should start. The boy is cocky, he'll learn the rigors of the game and probably fail in his first year but I believe he has unshakable confidence ala Kobe.