D'Angelo Russell Discussion: Adopting A Professional Attitude

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by The Original 81, Jun 25, 2015.

1. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

Crazy how Pops now has a snazzy ride care of his kid. On the other hand, you have fathers like Richard Sherman's and Magic's that believe in an honest day's work...not asking their millionaire sons for toys to show off.

lakerjones and sirronstuff like this.
  2. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    Dad may have sacrificed a lot to help him get here, so I don't begrudge him accepting a gift from a grateful son. However, the media is hovering in the wings waiting to get their hands on any juicy story. Once they do, they will gladly tear you down. He just needs Dad to be mindful not to be part of the problem.

Barnstable and LTLakerFan like this.
  3. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

This crossed my mind as well. He was the #2 pick in the draft, he's a Laker, he just signed his deal with Nike. Obviously this was his dad's mistake and not his, but it has to show him he has to be careful in this spotlight and with his money and stuff.

therealdeal and LTLakerFan like this.
  4. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

Agreed...but that report has him with a plastic bottle of cough syrup and admitting that he has weed? Heck, it my kid could buy me stuff because he has the wealth, I wouldn't say no too but I certainly would not act like I was an irresponsible teenager as I owned it.

5. Chillbongo

Chillbongo - Lakers 6th Man -

I quoted this post - but my reply is to everyone:

Damn, ya'll where's the perspective? Dude is 19. He cashes in $5 million a year GUARANTEED for the next 4 years and here we are criticizing him for buying a car FOR HIS DAD? Not for himself mind you....but for someone else, his blood.

Actually - for the dude who brought him into this world. Who probably sacrificed to give D'Angelo the opportunity to make it playing ball. Who moved him out of the ghetto of Louisville and put him in boarding school to get away from the bad influences.

But let's all s*** on him for trying to be grateful and showing some appreciation by getting his dad a car that costs AT BEST 4% ($180,000) of his annual income. Nevermind that it's not a 19 year old's job to parent his own father. Yeah he's an idiot but Russell bears none of that burden and his generosity isn't culpable.

I get it, we are all armchair spokesmen here on LB but this is out of hand. So easy to sit here and criticize.....I'd be SHOCKED if you all wouldn't do something nice for your parents...buy them a house, whatever. Maybe Russell Sr. wanted that damn Maserati. And if you guys wouldn't do that kind of thing for someone who raised you, sacrificed for you, and bettered your life....I don't know that I could relate to you all.

6. Weezy

Wow man... you took that a little far, almost personal. All I said was I hope he's careful with his money and I hope he is careful with how he handles the situation because he's so young. It's one thing to buy your dad a car, but I felt that one that was $100,000 minimum is a little different. Shows immaturity to me, 5 mil after taxes isn't 5 mil, living in LA isn't cheap, neither is the NBA lifestyle. Sure if you're planning for a 10-15 year career the money looks different, but that's not guaranteed, so I'd hope he'd be a little more careful. Then again maybe I just can't relate because my father was a terrible person and I hated him. :ShaqOh: And my mom, if I made it big, would be happy with a reasonable car and that I was being responsible with my money.

therealdeal and abeer3 like this.
  7. Chillbongo

Sorry you took it personally - I actually didn't even have you in mind. A lot of people commented on this situation - you were one of the few that said you don't blame him for doing something nice for his parents.

8. Weezy

I didn't take it personally, I meant it felt like you took everyone's comments that way. And I only responded because you said you were referring to everyone, so I thought that included me is all, no big deal.

Chillbongo likes this.
  9. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

there's doing nice things for parents, and there's making a pretty crazy spending choice in a situation that doesn't warrant it. I'm sure this is on the heels of the nba talking to them at length about doing things exactly like this. his contract isn't guaranteed for 4 years; it's guaranteed for two. and if you have no other skills and are buying maseratis, 10-15 million can actually disappear quite quickly (ask all the broke former players).

I think someone else made the point that he's 19, which does mitigate this to some degree. my concern is that a person you obviously look up to shows pretty awful judgment (1. accepting the lavish gift before your son has really established himself--I mean, how about a nice linclon? 2. spending free time messing with cough syrup); let's hope you don't think that's cool, too (I believe this was the subtext of sirron's sarcastic opening statement).

and I'll sit in judgment if I want. I'm a dude on a message board; it's sort of what we do.

in sum, there's really no positive spin to this story. hopefully, this event helps spur the growth process for both father and son.

Weezy likes this.
  10. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Thought about this a bit: I'm not going to blame D'Angelo for getting his dad a car, I'm going to blame his father for driving what appears to be under the influence of at least one type of drug. That's irresponsible, stupid, and puts not only yourself and others in immediate danger but it puts your SON'S reputation on the line. Get your head out of your *** and think before you do stupid things like that. Russell's parents were smart enough to send him off to various schools in order to prepare him for life as a man and as a professional, but apparently his father allowed himself to get caught up in the moment. Stupid.

That being said, this is a lesson you learn as a young man. I don't know this family. This could have been one of those things where as a kid you tell your parents "I'm gonna get you a great car when I'm successful! A Maserati even!" and the parent laughs the kid off and says okay sure son. Then the kid actually does it and as a proud parent you take the gift knowing you've done good getting your kid to that point and you're proud of the person your kid has become. Sounds good right? Still, when you're young you look up to your parents without realizing their flaws. Kobe learned some of this with his parents. They're only human, they'll make their mistakes. D'Angelo needs to learn now that his father has issues and maybe this was a great gesture, but keep things in perspective going forward. Know who you're buying for and remember not to spend money like this too often.

He's a 19 year old kid. He'll make these mistakes. I don't think anyone is crucifying him for it, but it's definitely a lesson that needs to be learned.

11. Chillbongo

No unfortunately nothing good can come out of this. I just think that the focus of the issue here is that Russell Sr. has issues and is irresponsible. It seemed we were extending the blame to D'Angelo, for getting his dad a car or what not.

You're right only 2 years are guaranteed. Though he does have money coming in from Nike and probably other places. It's semantics at this point. It's valid to have concern about spending habits of NBA players because we've seen the Antoine Walkers of the league. I don't know D'Angelo but he seems like a high character guy. I might be naive, or flat out wrong, but I give him the benefit of the doubt because he doesn't seem like that kind of fool hard, spend happy, live in the moment kind of guy. I just think it's unfair that we hear one tidbit about his spending and make generalizations about his financial savvy.

12. pound4pound

pound4pound - Lakers Starter -

13. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

^ Larry Bird... realy. Than MJ and Bronnie. Trade his a** NOW :giggle:

14. acetabulum7

acetabulum7 - Rookie -

Meh, couldn't care less about what he does with his money. It's what he does on the court that matters to me.

15. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

he took the question of 4 guys with him as an all-time greats question...and then he put Anthony davis in there? now i'll agree that if Anthony davis continues his growth, he'd deserve a spot on that squad (dude's incredible), but he's three years in.

and mj over kobe...man, that was a softball and you whiffed. even if you believe mj was better (perfectly legit belief), you only say one thing.

why am I talking about this?

16. Weezy

Like I said, he is young, very young. I realized this when I saw him tweet that Zendaya was looking good and I was grossed out, but then I remembered he's basically her age.

17. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

I had to google Zendaya. Never heard of her.

ZenMaster likes this.
  18. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    Larry Bird

All Time Great Player
    Career Averages:
    Rebounds: 10
    Assists: 6.3

Bird Career Stats.png
    All time great coach even in limited seasons:
    4th best winning percentage all time.

coaching.png

Executive of the Year:

executive of the year.png

Only player to have done the following:
    • NBA MVP
    • NBA Coach of the Year
    • NBA Executive of the Year
    I'm impressed that DAR knows this and admires this combination of excellence.

ZenMaster and KareemtheGreat33 like this.
  19. Weezy

Consider yourself lucky. I have a bunch of little cousins I take care of time to time that unfortunately love the Disney Channel.

20. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

I only had heard of zendaya because of some acne prevention commercials that frequently come on some channel I must watch. I actually thought she might be a fake pop singer with how cheesey the production value is on those spots.

and now I'm talking about this...purple drank, puff piece interviews, and now Disney tween stars...it's definitely august.

LaVarBallsDad likes this.