D'Angelo Russell Discussion: Adopting A Professional Attitude

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by The Original 81, Jun 25, 2015.

1. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    this is a random James Harden "post Metta" picture find I thought was funny

[​IMG]

2. kobecory8

kobecory8 - Rookie -

Is it me or Is Swaggy the one cheering on all his baskets in the first half? He gets up and cheers on almost all of them.

ZenMaster likes this.
  3. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

didn't redick break the quickness machine? but anyway, yes, athleticism as it translates to in-game action: there are stars in the league who don't look more athletic than russell.

i think his main athletic disadvantage is strength, which is why i'd rather him not be defending sgs.

YoungThundercat and trodgers like this.
  4. YoungThundercat

YoungThundercat - Rookie -

Harden is indeed crazy athletic. The problem is he doesn't use it like Westbrook or Wall, he doesn't just sprint baseline to baseline or fly in like LBJ or Leonard for a huge chasedown block. But he's so strong and explosive in tight quarters it's outrageous. You can be in his hip pocket and he'll lose you within two steps.

5. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

As much as people on this board hate Harden, he has a real quick first step. He can't sustain speed like Westbrook or Wall or Rose used to. But his change of pace moves are so dangerous because of that first step. Russell doesn't have that first step. Russell is plenty athletic enough to be a great NBA player, but let's not sell Harden's athletic ability short. Harden just uses it wisely and to be honest, safely because he isn't putting his body at risk all the time.

tada, Khmrp, sirronstuff and 2 others like this.
  6. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

It's a good theory, but one if true the Lakers have been desperately hiding. Every Laker employee is quick to point out that D'Angelo is a hard and serious worker which makes his swings puzzling. Obviously there's things we're not privy to.

7. therealdeal

Yeah Harden is definitely more athletic than Russell. Russell's problems are about 98% in his head though.

The thing I always come back to is if Nash can figure out how to get into the lane, then D'Angelo should be able to dance in there.

8. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

guess i disagree. harden rarely blows by anybody, hence all the odd foul draws. if he had blow-by speed, people wouldn't be close enough to foul him. he also rarely dunks unless it's on a break or in a clear lane (same situations in which russell would dunk).

harden's strong and skilled, and pretty quick on the first step, but not fast or explosive on or off the ground.

9. therealdeal

I mean he was guarding Rubio a lot. He was just really terrible navigating screens. The thing is he's been here for a while, it's just exacerbated when he has a tough shooting night. I find when he starts hot he plays better but if he's missing early he struggles to find a groove. That's when I want him to go get to the FT line and get a feel for the ball going in.

trodgers, Khmrp, revgen and 2 others like this.
  10. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers Legend -

"Consistency"

trodgers likes this.
  11. Kou

Kou - Lakers 6th Man -

Should be our teams slogan. "Consistently Inconsistent".

12. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

*scratches head* i thought russell played decent d last night. he was really bothering rubio in the second half, which is why towns went thug on that one play. clarkson was and always is the real problem spot defensively, imo.

russell's recent problem has been not going vertical on his jumpers. otherwise, strong.

i still cringe watching clarkson play pg while russell's on the floor. but i guess when you're not trying to win games, it doesn't matter.

ElginTheGreat and trodgers like this.
  13. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

With his recent play, Russell is the least of our problems imo, but I really think Lonzo Ball would erase a lot of our perimeter struggles, both on O and D.

14. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i've got strong doubts there, and not only because he'd be a 19 year-old rookie. i think the hype has gotten ahead of this kid's likely actual impact.

15. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

Honestly I haven't been following him closely enough to comment further. I'm just speculating "on paper" (ie height/length, tremendous court vision and play-making abilities, anticipation and instincts as defender) Sounds like a great pairing with Russell.

16. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

I think Ball and Russell will work pretty well but I'm concerned about them on the defensive end. I am worried about the hype around him though.

I still lean toward Fultz as the better overall prospect.

Khmrp, therealdeal and trodgers like this.
  17. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

Is Fultz scouted as a better defender than Ball? He's quite a bit shorter than Ball.

18. therealdeal

Neither project to be lock-down defenders which is definitely part of the problem. Fultz loves the flashy defensive play (he likes the chase down block), but he lacks consistent effort on that end. It's possible he just didn't do it at Washington because the program was terrible, but his body language was awful on that end. Ball is a more natural defender and understands help defense more, but he's got a much thinner frame. Ball probably won't ever be very big and I'm worried he'll get pushed around by NBA size a bit.

The key to building around D'Angelo is hiding him on defense. I don't think he'll always be as bad defensively as he is now, but he'll never be a great defender either. Ideally you put someone like Beverely or Bradley next to him, but the only kid like that in this draft if Fox and he's not as good Fultz or Ball.

Defense going forward, assuming we keep the pick, is going to be an issue. You just have to hope the kids are good enough in other areas and in effort/consistency that they can play good enough defense to have success.

ElginTheGreat and tada like this.
  19. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers Legend -

Have you scene ball highlights on d? He just equally terrible when screened and is easily blown by off the dribble w/o screens

20. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

If you pair Ball and DAR you are going to need defense in the other three positions. They both have the size and length to be good defenders but just can't seem to figure it out on that end.