D'Angelo Russell Discussion: Adopting A Professional Attitude

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by The Original 81, Jun 25, 2015.

1. pop pop

pop pop - Rookie -

I think he needs to develop his right hand to help him create separation. It's hard to get separation when defenders know where you want to go when you don't have the quickness or strength to get passed guys. If he can go right, I feel like that will help a lot driving to the basket because then he can change directions and keep defenders off balanced.

trodgers and LTLakerFan like this.
  2. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Oh hell yeah!! DAR's always talking about wanting to be that "sponge" for Kobe, and certainly Nash falls into Yoda territory for him as well.

trodgers, therealdeal and tada like this.
  3. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

I think D'Angelo looked great! He kept his turnovers down while racking up dimes and boards. His shots look good, just a little off.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  4. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

He looked better all around tonight. Way less turnovers (but Clarkson was handling the ball a lot more), some nice drives to the hoop, some nice assists. His shot is not falling though, he is supposed to be a better shooter than this. If he can get his shot back on track it will be a big boost, open things up for him more.

lakerjones likes this.
  5. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

Skinny 19 year old, with best nutrition, trainers and equipment... easily. I could do it and im 35 :p

6. RasAlgethi

RasAlgethi Moderator Staff Member

His problems stem from two issues I believe. One, is his lack of an off hand, like abeer mentioned. As a pg, you need to be adept at two hands. Other positions can get away with it, not the pg. The second, is he is still adjusting to the speed and athleticism of NBA players. He often finds holes or seams he can get into but by the time he gets there, its closed up. Examples are when he is in a pick and roll and attempts to split the defenders - he sees the opening but by the time he attempts to get through its gone. Or, when he gets into the paint, tries to euro step the help defender but fails to create enough separation. Things like these probably worked in college, but not so much in the NBA at the pace he's doing them at. You can apply the same thing to his passes when he tires to them in traffic. His mid range shot seems fine, its his 3 ball that isn't falling. This is likely just him getting adjusted to the further NBA 3 pt line.

bonk likes this.
  7. ShowTime_IR

ShowTime_IR - Rookie -

Is it time to talk about Russel coming off the bench and putting J.Brown as a SG starter? There's no shame in that. Sort of like Trey Burke in Utah.

KobeJeterKaep and Chillbongo like this.
  8. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

russell looked pretty good out there tonight

but it's pretty obvious he's going to need some mentoring for a while before he breaks out. you can already tell how talented and how much potential he is/has

tada and Chillbongo like this.
  9. Chillbongo

Chillbongo - Lakers 6th Man -

I only got to watch the 2nd half. I saw Russell struggling until the 4th quarter.

In the 4th we went to the pick and roll with Russell handling and he made 3 straight plays. 2 were assists, and one was a shot I believe. He seems comfortable in the pick and roll. He still has turnovers when trying to attack and split doubles.

I don't think his handles quite translated to the NBA level. He can work on that. Still filled up the stat sheet and only got 3 TO.

tada likes this.
  10. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

Russell came alive tonight I thought. A few superb passes. A few great drives to the lane. Like Weezy said, if he can get his legs under him I think his shot will improve. Everything is short for him on those. That's legs.

tada likes this.
  11. OmarE

OmarE - Lakers Starter -

Post game interview

ElginTheGreat and tada like this.
  12. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

"Executing!!!!"

13. bonk

bonk - Rookie -

Quantitative Analyst
    Spot on. When you rely on your athletic advantage in college to gain a basketball advantage it will take some time to learn the fundamentals you need when that athletic advantage is diminished at this level.

It's very present in the NBA but not to the extent it is in the NFL. Combine warriors rarely make the transition in the NFL and they oftentimes struggle for a couple of years in the NBA. Randle and Russell will both take some patience while they get used to the speed and athleticism of the play at this level.

14. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

One thing is apparent, Russell has talent, and Madsen is absolute garbage of a coach.

15. Tragic

Tragic - Rookie -

ClubLakers class of '04
    Man, D'angelo could really benefit from working with Nash since both of them aren't particularly athletically gifted. D'angelo has height and reach advantage over Nash so he can couple that with learning all those crafty moves Nash used to avoid getting blocked.

16. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I have never seen him up close nor do I have access to a physical profile of his but just looking at him I'd say that's incredibly unlikely. He's a long, spindly kid and it's clear he's very physically weak. He's got very thin legs and arms.

What he needs to do is build leg strength more than anything. That's not necessarily putting on weight, but he needs leg strength to get off NBA threes, play defense AND offense for 25 minutes a night. He's a late bloomer physically compared to Okafor and Mudiay who look like grown men. I see a lot of room for growth and in 2-3 years he'll look like a different guy, but right now he needs leg strength.

I'd have him doing squats, lunges, squat holds, deadlift, box jumps, box step ups, some balance exercises things of that nature. You don't want him building too much weight too quickly it'll throw him off and make him prone to ankle injuries.

Weezy likes this.
  17. bonk

bonk - Rookie -

Quantitative Analyst
    Here's the interesting part of this statement.... he's not played in the NBA yet. Probably less than 10% of the summer league participants will see significant rolls in the regular season and most of those will be contributions off the bench. He's projected as a starter and 30+ minute a game contributor. If his handles are not translating in Summer League what does that project for the regular season?

18. Doc Brown

Doc Brown - Lakers Starter -

Doctorin'
    His handles are fine, he's not getting ripped or losing his dribble. It's his decision making that is not up to NBA level yet.

That comes with experience.

19. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

His handles? Like his dribbling? Are we looking at the same player? His handles have looked like the best thing about him to me, I haven't seen anyone taking the ball away from him off the dribble, that's been on bad passes or driving into a crowd. His dribbling has actually surprised me with how good it is, he makes it look effortless.

20. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

Yeah I think his handles are superb.