D'Angelo Russell Discussion: Adopting A Professional Attitude

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by The Original 81, Jun 25, 2015.

1. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

This was a Booker type of game. High volume shots, but he did try to get people involved, a lot of missed attempts.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  2. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    f*** Booker. Clown doesn't know how to rebound or pass. And not just anyone can get off 20+ FGA. Ask Kobe.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  3. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    29-6-4-4. Rubbish.

4. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

I hope people caught that I was joking earlier, I think they did. I greatly prefer this Russ to passive Russ. If he wants to try and be a scorer and run the show out there, great, I like to see that as long as he's engaged most of the time.

5. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

I like the aggressiveness. We need him to score with Lou gone so I don't mind the high volume and turnovers. Just don't revert back to being passive.

trodgers likes this.
  6. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers MVP -

Like Luke said. The issue with these guys is getting into a routine where they can be consistent game in and game out. They arent there yet. Their talent is there but they arent doing it every night. We have to wait.

LTLakerFan and gcclaker like this.
  7. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    Trade filler

LTLakerFan and Kenzo like this.
  8. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

9. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

he was moving the ball early (i didn't see the rest of the game). per usual, guys were missing some really clean looks he was creating. he routinely hits skip passes on the money only for dudes to shank the open jumpers that kill the lakers on the other end. but i guess this is all because he's a shooting guard. were he a pure pg, guys would make those wide open corner threes.

10. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    [​IMG]

ElginTheGreat, TIME and LTLakerFan like this.
  11. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

...as you stated in a post before, there is a lack of "finishers" on this team. Ingram plays facilitator and then there's Randle who prefers to create on his own. Deng and Moz are basically useless. That leaves only Young who is catch and shoot. I'm sure this is not lost on Johnson...

LTLakerFan likes this.
  12. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Skip pass equals pg?

The point with D'Angelo is that he does not lead the troops which is typically the point guard's duty. This will of course be taken the wrong way but Huertas knew how to organize the offense smoothly. It came naturally to him. D'Angelo obviously is a quarter million times the player Huertas is, but organizing the offense isn't one of his strengths. Obviously it would help if Young didn't go 1-9 but it would also help if Russell's responsibility wasn't looking after other people's offense and just doing his own thing.

Traditional guard roles aren't what they used to be, but having a guy like Ball on the team who is more naturally inclined to organize the offense would be beneficial to everyone including Russell. Free him up to do his own thing.

tada, lakerjones, KRL and 2 others like this.
  13. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

c'mon, real. what is "leading the troops"?

and yes, seeing the open guy two passes away and delivering a laser right into his hands is EXACTLY what a pg does. it's what someone with elite court vision does. the lakers offense isn't "disorganized", it's populated with guys who can't shoot or finish. it's untalented, except for russell, who somehow gets all the blame for it.

putting him next to a pg here and there is fine, but it totally negates his size advantage on both ends and you lose some really valuable playmaking. just find some competent scorers at the 3-5 spots, and he'll look just fine at pg.

i'm not even going to discuss the fact that we're pining for a guy who hasn't played an nba game in the process of tearing down russell. russell was a better prospect than ball coming out, and he still is. at pg or any position.

14. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    Russell's up to 4.7 assists per game in under 27 minutes. Since he returned from injury, he's averaging 6 assists per game (vs. 3.0 TO), which would put him at 18th in the league. In the 17 games where he has played at least 30 minutes, he's handed out 104 assists - 6.1 per game. There's plenty of evidence suggesting that DAR is moving toward being a 6 assist per game guy.

And some thought we were too hard on Randle? Russ just played one of the better games of the season, and the criticisms and back-handed compliments are dominating the thread.

15. KRL

KRL - Lakers 6th Man -

Lets not get crazy here.... Ball is a better prospect than Russell.

16. Lakers2015

Lakers2015 - Lakers Starter -

D'Angelo will make a terrific young duo with Myles Turner next year.

tada and KRL like this.
  17. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Not with that shot.

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  18. therealdeal

Organizing an offense is what guys like Kidd, Nash, Thomas, and at the collegiate level Ball excel at: putting the offense in its best position to be successful. It's picking your spots effectively and efficiently while putting your teammates in positions to excel as well. It's really not D'Angelo's strength. I don't see why that's an insult.

Edit: Thomas is Isiah by the way. I also didn't include Paul. Obviously those are all really good organizers and we don't need one of them. We need a guy inclined to think that way. Ingram is maybe the closest on the team... not a good look.

Scouts who have watched him since college and high school all say he played SG and off the ball most of his life. It's his natural inclination to score. What exactly is wrong or insulting about that? It is who he is. Last night he played to that strength and put together a great game for himself. That's not an insult, it's a fact. I much prefer the Russell from last night to the one we saw who was trying to pass too much and make himself a pg. I'd rather he take 26 shots than 3.

I never said Ball was better or a better prospect. I think Fultz is better, but not Ball. That doesn't mean Russell couldn't benefit from his presence. I understand you like Russell, but this isn't an attack on him, it's an observation. Just because he's the most suited to play lead guard on the team doesn't mean he's the one who should be the lead guard of our future. We should be adding complementary talent to our better players.

As for not playing with talent, I disagree. I think Randle and Ingram are very talented, but not good fits since one can't hit open shots and one wont take open shots. Just because you don't like Randle doesn't mean he's not talented, he has a tremendous amount of natural talent, he's just not a smart player and he's determined not to learn.

19. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

If Zu and Nance were full time starters, Russell's assist numbers would be much higher.

20. therealdeal

I think his hockey assists would go up for sure. Nance doesn't shoot outside enough either. Similar problem to Randle but Nance impacts the game in a lot more ways than Randle does.

trodgers likes this.