D'Angelo Russell Discussion: Adopting A Professional Attitude

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by The Original 81, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Ok, I'm trying to look for positives today. I will be questioning Russell vs Okafor, probably for years until we see how these players turn out. That said, if Russell can turn into the star guard the FO see in him, it might have been the smart pick. Seeing how star guards rule the NBA right now, and the extension that Lillard is about to sign, wow. Serviceable centers are attainable for relatively cheap in this league over over-spending, but star guards, SF's, and PF's are getting PAID. I tried to make that positive, don't know if that's how it came out.

2. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

3. Weezy

The only player comparison I really see when I watch all these Russell highlight videos is Deron Williams when he was good. Anyone else see that. The way he moves, dribbles, directs his teammates, pulls up and shoots off the dribble, all remind me of young Deron Williams. Not as athletic, but big and plays under control. Maybe it's just me. I don't see Curry, or Chris Paul, he's taller, not as quick.

shoe likes this.
  4. KB24

KB24 Administrator Staff Member

Certified Tax Advisor
    I think Russell is a better shooter than Deron Williams. Deron used to kill the Lakers with his shooting but he was never considered a dead-eye shooter. Russell is neither but he has that potential. Otherwise they do look similar. I also think Russell has better handles than Deron and considering Curry has some of the sickest ball handling moves, I can see a comparision there.

But ya, Russell is not going to emulate Steph Curry or Paul. He should find his own way.

5. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

I think he's a skinnier/smaller version of Harden and Ginobili, but with better court vision. They all have athletic limitations, but are highly efficient because they depend on intelligence with an excellent skill-set. They are crafty with an array of hesitation moves, rocker steps, euro-steps, and step-backs. Their speed is very deceptive, manipulating timing and spacing to perfection. Unguardable.

therealdeal and jerryr88 like this.
  6. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

pre-suck dwill and lillard were my pre-draft comps, and i still see that. pg version of ginobili is another (stronger handle, not as good a finisher, better midrange shooter already).

therealdeal and jerryr88 like this.
  7. ShowTime_IR

ShowTime_IR - Rookie -

He's attitude reminds of a young Chris Paul. He wants to be a leader from the start.

jerryr88 likes this.
  8. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Wanted to provide some insight into what Ohio State ran, and how it applies to Russell. They run a Dribble Weave Offense, which is a lot of PnR & a lot of handoffs. Before getting too deep into that, I want to go over single gaps & double gaps

[​IMG]

To put it simply, double gaps are a lot more conducive to dribble penetration than single gaps are. This is one of the main benefits of putting your shooters in the deep corners as opposed to on the wing. Also note that the big is on the opposite block of where the ball is. This means that if the ball handler can exploit the double gap, he can get all the way to the rack. It also benefits the big, because he can get a drive & dish or weak side O-Reb opportunity for an easy bucket.
    Now take a look at some of the sets within the Dribble Weave Patterned Offense.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can see, very few double gaps available, and when they are there, there's usually a post player in the way. Now, this is only a snippet of the offense, but double gaps are not a point of emphasis.
    The reason I post this is because I think this limited Russell's dribble penetration opportunities. From watching him in games, there were a lot of instances where he simply didn't have a gap to exploit. The pro game (even in Scott's offense, which got less and less prehistoric as the season went on) will present more opportunities to get to the rack.

Magic Skywalker, Kou, KB24 and 8 others like this.
  9. jerryr88

jerryr88 - Rookie -

Great post

Thank you

LaVarBallsDad likes this.
  10. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Sure.

11. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Ginobili with more vision is my comparison for sure. That's what I saw before the draft and I stand by it.

12. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

I see a lot of Brandon Roy...... Maybe I'm crazy.

KareemtheGreat33 likes this.
  13. therealdeal

My favorite thing about Russell thus far (from a newcomer to the Russell-wagon) was his response to some reporter in the rookie presentation we did.

The reporter asked him "there's been talk about your athleticism and how you're maybe not as athletic as... other guys in the draft. What do you make of that and how would you respond to those criticisms?"

When the reporter hesitated after "athletic as..." it was clear he was going to say something about how many (including myself) have questioned whether or not Russell will be able to keep up with NBA speed. Not just among his peers, but Russell is going into a very athletic NBA field and it's a valid concern.

What I loved was Russell didn't let him finish the question before responding with a steely "I feel I'm the best player in the draft. Whether that means I'm more athletic or less athletic, I don't know, but I think I'm the best player in the draft." He said it with stone cold confidence and he stared icily at the reporter the entire time. I love that. That attitude, that edge... That's what will make this kid a star in the league.

TIME, John3:16, LTLakerFan and 3 others like this.
  14. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

his response another time was that he manages to get it done regardless. and guys do get it done without being top-notch athletes. hopefully, he's one of them.

15. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

There's many players out there with athleticism with IQs of a box of rocks and nothing in their chest. Case study: Wesley Johnson. The kid's got moxie. He and Clarkson will make a tough combo on the floor. I wanted a big center that is easier to build upon...Russell's a Laker and I support him as long as he wears the uni giving it all he's got.

16. JLaker17

JLaker17 - Lakers Starter -

Well at least Russell is used to working with a team that has inferior talent...

jerryr88 and alam1108 like this.
  17. Doc Brown

Doc Brown - Lakers Starter -

Doctorin'

At least we got a dude that can dribble like Steph Curry.

thkthebest likes this.
  18. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    39 inch vert isn't athletic enough?

LTLakerFan likes this.
  19. Weezy

Man, I've seen this multiple times over the last week, but it's still impressive. That's some paradiddle drumming shiz right there. That's where my drumming lessons from my father abruptly ended as I realized, "yeah, my brain can't do this, and therefore my hands can't either". But I'm an expert at Rock Band guitar!

Anywaaaay. Looking through Lazenby's tweets from yesterday after ElginTheGreat cited one in the free agent thread, there was yet another endorsement of Russell. Lazenby is candid, he doesn't censor himself, and he won't hold back on his thoughts on the Lakers, so I respect a lot of his takes.

Obviously the media are not the experts in this, and the jury will be out on who was a better pick between Russell and Okafor for years, but it's at least interesting and promising that nobody out there seems to think we made a bad pick. Most think it was a good pick, a lot thought it was a great pick, and that's from media that is just waiting to pounce on us for bad moves. I kind of expected to see us being bashed a lot by the media for passing on Okafor as the sure thing, but it hasn't happened.

ElginTheGreat, LTLakerFan and J9 like this.
  20. therealdeal

Yeah media response and NBA expert response on Russell has been mostly positive. That's definitely helped me transition to him from Okafor. I don't care much about the media but knowing most NBA circles were supportive of the move is comforting.

jerryr88 and LTLakerFan like this.