D'Angelo Russell Discussion: Adopting A Professional Attitude

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by The Original 81, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Alcindor

Alcindor - Lakers Starter -

I don't get why the media are so sure we are trading DAR. Ireland was saying it himself today, he guaranteed it.

Anyone who has had a kid will give a 19 year old male a pass on doing something stupid. It wasn't even that huge a thing. It had big-a** ramifications on Swaggy's life but that's because the real bad deed was done by Nick. I betcha Izzy ain't mad at DAR.

We would be stupid to trade DAR unless it's straight up for a super star. No other players except fodder like Nick, Lou, (Moz in a Boogie deal) in the outgoing package. Currey was an 18/4/5 guy second year (and 2 years older than DAR). Can't see any reason why he can't get those numbers this year. He was 13/3/3 last year with low minutes and Boron and 19 years old. Anyone predict in 2 years at the same age as Currey he can't do 18/4/5? I say he does it this year. Luke will let him bloom.

LaVarBallsDad likes this.
  2. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Ireland said that today ....guaranteed it?? What did he say please, best as you remember.... and who was he having the conversation with?

3. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    Link? I can't find anything on Ireland saying that for some reason.

4. Alcindor

Alcindor - Lakers Starter -

Heard it on espn 710 radio, I was only in my car for a moment and it was around 2:50 pm. It was right when the next crew was coming in, Max and Marcellus or whoever is replacing them right now .. he said it as his opinion, not like he had some sort of information on it.

5. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator - Lakers 6th Man -

Would any of you trade D'Angelo + Mozgov mid season for Boogie if the ultimate plan was to do it to be a attractive destination for Westbrook in free agency?

6. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

probably not, been burned by FA too many times. planning a move around a potential FA signing is silly to me.

that's a tough call, though, as cousins is definitely superstar talent. i just think his mental problems have cost his teams too much thus far in his career. he's going to end up going for less than russell, imo. the kings waited too long to move him. gonna be gasol-ish.

7. LTLakerFan

Top Poster Of Month

Thanks. Wow that seems to me at least really odd in that he's their radio announcer, connected as an employee in that way and would have to know it most likely will get back to the organization including DAR. Yet either had no balls to say he thought Byron might be gone after after 2 seasons though he had to know he deserved it. Especially when it became apparent teams would be going after Luke whether Lakers did or not. DAR more valuable than Boron and Mitch told him not to worry about all the rumors they weren't happening. Yet now here's their own Radio guy running his mouth.

:KobeConfused:

sirronstuff likes this.
  8. KB24

KB24 Administrator Staff Member

Certified Tax Advisor
    If I had a deal on Westbrook...absolutely. You would be insane not to.

But if not,...I mean I like Boogie.

But I say this...the next 4-5 years...GS has it locked man. I dunno if I would desperately want to win now because chances are I won't be able to. So while I do want this team to get much better and become a desirable place for FAs, I also know that trading the future for a present that is doomed by GS makes little sense to me.

The Lakers better position themselves to strike without sacrificing the future. I feel no pressure right now to "win now". If I had Russell and Cousins...I wouldn't want to see them age in front of my eyes losing year in and out.

9. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator - Lakers 6th Man -

It's a bit amazing that even if the Lakers get Westbrook and Cousins in this scenario, while keeping Ingram, Clarkson and Randle..... It's a completely real possibility it wouldn't be enough to get past GS in a 7 game series. At least not until maybe year 3 or 4 of this group being in tact and that would hinge more on the development of Ingram/Clarkson/Randle.... 2 out of the 3 would need to become all stars in addition to Westbrook/Cousins.

10. revgen

revgen - Lakers 6th Man -

I'm more interested in Paul George or Marc Gasol than Westbrook and Cousins.

11. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Ireland is notorious for wanting to "win now" and not having patience for rookies. I remember him saying he hoped and thought we would trade the #2 pick as well. Why would we trade Russell? Because of the Nick Young tape? That is literally the only reason I can think of. And by "reason" I mean something you could point to that wasn't a positive.

Besides, Walton really likes DAR. The front office personally texted DAR to tell him NOT to listen to trade rumors. And like KB24 said, GS has this league on lockdown for the next 4 years. Us and Minny are in a prime spot to hit our stride just as GS starts to slow down. The amount of moves we'd have to make to compete with GS is insane. Think about it. We'd need to trade Ingram, Randle and Russell and get back Cousins and at least one other bona fide star to superstar. Then we'd need to sign Westbrook on top of that. We'd probably need to keep Clarkson as he's the most ready to contribute now (based on last season anyway, but Russell looks better this summer league than Clarkson did last summer league). Is Boogie's value low enough that we could give up JUST Randle for him? Cause we'd need Russell and Ingram to get the conversation started on a player like Paul George. Westbrook/Clarkson/George/Nance/Cousins...with Deng, Lou and Zubac off the bench? I mean it's a really good team, but I'm not even sure that team (which has us getting EVERYTHING we want and ripping people off in the process) can beat the Warriors.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  12. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I see no reason to believe we're trading Russell and I didn't hear him say he was guaranteeing we are going to trade Russell.

I've heard him say we'd explore it and we'd see what's out there and I think that's probably the truth. Mitch is a diligent trader, he's probably doing his homework and finding out if there's value somewhere.

lakerjones and Savory Griddles like this.
  13. Savory Griddles

The other thing to keep in mind with ESPN TV is they now use Byron as a regular on that one show (forget what it's called right now). Byron needs to be propped up. Since many people have pointed to his handling of the kids, especially Russell, as a reason for his firing, they need to denigrate Russell to make their hire look better. Byron needs to seem credible, and by shifting the blame to Russell in the scenario in which he was fired, Byron looks better. He even looks...sympathetic. ESPN knows they can control the narrative on most things. Heck, Russell could ball out this season and average 18/7/5 and ESPN could still control the narrative that he's doing it at "the expense of the team" and most of the nation who is asleep by the time Laker games actually start, would just lap it up.

Helljumper likes this.
  14. LTLakerFan

Top Poster Of Month

OMG!!! Did not know they put that TOOL on ESPN TV staff for some show. That all makes perfect sense what you said. And could explain a lot of the piling on, irrational Lakers hate this summer. F*** Byron and f*** ESPN and f*** them propping up his sorry a**.

:Tabarnak:

Juronimo and tada like this.
  15. therealdeal

It's funny I know he was on Sports Nation because Kellerman did an absolute 180 on him. He s*** on Byron for two years calling him incompetent and unfit for his job, then he goes on the show and Kellerman decides it wasn't his fault and Byron was a good coach in a bad spot. Something that bothered me about the Wilbon video @Weezy posted is that Wilbon said that no matter what happens, Byron needs to be credited with Russell's growth this year. I mean it's just an ignorant and idiotic thing to say.

Byron was in a tough spot having to deal with young kids and Kobe's farewell tour and all that FO turmoil, but to pretend like he was competent at the things he COULD control is simply wrong. It wasn't just a bad situation, he was an awful coach.

16. Savory Griddles

But that's today's media...not just in sports, but everywhere. Take stances and then do battle. One takes black, the other takes white. One says he's incompetent, the other says it's a bad situation. it seems like it can never be both anymore. "Trump is racist because of how he talks about immigration." Well, he may very well be racist, but we still have a major problem with immigration that has nothing to do with whether or not Trump is a racist.

17. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Hmmmm. Couple of things on this trade scenario: Ireland & Mason were on ESPN First Take and Ireland didn't say we were trading any of the young core. I'd put the Youtube video up, but it was taken down due to copyright issues. He said the plan was to evaluate the kids this year, see if any of these kids 'hit' (become stars), and go from there. He was that was the 'Lakers plan.'

In an appearance on MSG, Chris Broussard of ESPN mentioned that he talked with some NBA executives and the Lakers reportedly think they have a big chance to sign Westbrook via free agency.

“The Lakers think they can sign Westbrook. I was talking to some people, some executives yesterday about possible trades they might do, or offer, and I was told they think they can sign him as a free agent. So, why should they give up anything?” Broussard said, as transcribed by Bleacher Report.

http://www.sportsrageous.com/nba/nb...ading-russell-westbrook-think-can-sign/35128/

Ireland also said he thought Byron was going to be here this season. :/

Barnstable and therealdeal like this.
  18. therealdeal

Oh the media has been that way for well over a decade now. It's just easier to see when you can get information from so many fronts just how biased certain outlets are.

For politics I like to read the account myself, then listen to both FOX and MSNBC on occasion just to hear both sides talk it out.

19. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

Here it is.

LaVarBallsDad likes this.
  20. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Thanks.

tada likes this.