D'Angelo Russell Discussion: Adopting A Professional Attitude

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by The Original 81, Jun 25, 2015.

1. KB24

KB24 Administrator Staff Member

Certified Tax Advisor
    One reason why the talking isn't that smart is because he raises expectations for no reasons. He will be better next year without question, but he might not be as good as (irrationally) expected by some fans. Why risk underachieving when you could just stay quiet and surprise in a positive way?

Not bragging about your work is better than doing so. As he said, let your game do the talking.

Now some fans will expect Russell to duplicate James Harden next season because he has been working out at 1 a.m.

I don't think anyone here isn't dying to see a much improved Russell next year. Everyone wants it.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  2. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    "If I've lost anyone's trust, I'm going to work my tail off to get it back," said Russell, who had 16 points, 4 rebounds and 1 assist against the Heat. "It's something you need [to be] a winning team."

Serena Winters: D’Angelo Russell on if he feels like he’s gained back trust of teammates: “I wish I never said that because I don't feel like I lost my teammates trust.

How would Russell have reacted if Young took a swing at him? “I’d get physical back,” Russell said. “It’s a point where you try to solve it the right way and I don’t know the words, but [if] there’s a sign of disrespect or violence is involved, sometimes you’ve got to let people feel you, you’ve got to let people know that, ‘If you disrespect this guy, you know you’ve got to bring it.'”

There are more examples of this type of thing being said with him than all our other young players combined.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  3. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

biased against russell: not guilty. i consider myself a pretty strong supporter and think he can be a very good player.

biased against social media: a little guilty.

but as sirron indicated, it's really an issue with the kinds of things russell says. they're indicative of immaturity, and they're on full display all the damn time.

is it fair to expect a 19 year old to be mature? maybe not. but some are.

sirron's post above is a great example of the kind of odd reframing that prohibits personal growth. and yes, it is dwight howard-esque. dwight never grew out of these things (he's STILL doing it), but that doesn't mean russell won't. he's just not making any strides currently. at least that i can see...and i get to see a lot!

LTLakerFan likes this.
  4. sirronstuff

To be clear, I'm a big fan of D'Angelo. My avatar has his left eyebrow, and I have the domain name www.lefteyebrow.com.

Doesn't mean I'm blind to the hints of narcissism that he throws out. Hopefully it's something he just grows out of. Heck, I think it's taken LeBron until the age of 31 to start to get some media coaching so he doesn't come off as a douche all the time. But even recently his comments about Steph curry and the MVP smacked of the same old LeBron.

Like others have said, don't tell us how great you're going to be, just be great.

If LeBron was on my team, you learn to live with your players deficiencies because you support them. I supported Shaq, but I had no problem saying that he was fat or out of shape and then I thought it was inappropriate to Yell Out to Dr. Buss now are you going to pay me

tada, LTLakerFan and abeer3 like this.
  5. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

Don't see an issue. Nitpicking at its finest.

6. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Seriously? Reread sirron's first 2 sentences 3 posts above yours. He wishes in the 2nd sentence he hadn't said what he did in the first instance above. Or said it differently. Needs brain more in gear before speaking then, especially on touchy media things. And it will make his physical journey a little harder if it turns into bulletin board type material when talking about his game before he actually shows it. Walk the talk first.

7. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

This thing spun way away from what I actually was talking about. My only point is that he's got a long way to go and while I'm proud of him for working hard, the way he's gone about his business is still a bit immature. That's to be expected of a young man and I'm actually okay with it. He's a young man and he should grow out of these shortcomings. He's in a good situation with a strong foundation, that's all we can expect.

He can keep posting all these workout vids if he wants to, I don't mind that. As for Clarkson posting more, well Clarkson has backed up that talk. D'Angelo hasn't yet and like I said in my first post about this: I understand he really can't do that right now. It just adds more pressure about him and opens him up to more scrutiny.

Whatever though. I'd much prefer him posting workout videos than videos at the club or what have you.

8. sirronstuff

Or of teammates...

:Shaqwink:

tada and Juronimo like this.
  9. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    Everybody forgets, stop talking...Let Shaq make his jokes but it will diminish, no one will notice after you are an all star. See Kobe.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  10. Lakerman JSJ

Lakerman JSJ Moderator Staff Member

Quick tangent: Holy crap if I never hear about that stupid Nick Young vid again, it'll be too soon.

Yes, D'Angelo made a dumb mistake. We're still not even sure how that stupid video even got out. We know he didn't intend to publicize it. S happens.

Pathetic indictment of our society that 100% of the S rains down on him and exactly zero people seem to give a crap that Nick Young is stepping out on his fiancée.

D'Angelo has some growing up to do. I could say the same about 99% of 19-year olds out there. I'm not worried in the slightest, and I find his self-confidence reassuring, because it'd be a lot more worrisome if he was starting to doubt himself. That'd be something that could easily prevent him from becoming the player he's capable of being.

I like the kid, and I'm excited as hell we have him. I wouldn't trade him straight-up for any player in last year's draft outside of Towns. He was the right pick at #2. Can't wait to see how he develops under Luke these next handful of years.

11. Lakerman JSJ

Lakerman JSJ Moderator Staff Member

Sorry if this comes off as preachy, but I'm still fired up: Little boys wanna cry about this so-called "snitching".

The viewpoint is that "a real man would never snitch."

My viewpoint: A real man would never step out on his woman. F'in immature clowns.

/rant

12. therealdeal

While nobody is teasing Nick Young, I think this has effectively ended his NBA career most likely.

Now not only is he a clown on and off the court, but he's viewed as a locker room dissident too which was basically all he had left for himself. The Lakers almost assuredly stretch his contract this summer and I'd be surprised if he gets picked up anywhere else.

So in that respect I think his irrelevance speaks volumes.

13. therealdeal

14. kobecory8

kobecory8 - Rookie -

I know I said this discussion is silly, but one quick aside.

This posting about his work ethic could be his attempt to get as far away as possible from the incident. He thinks that by posting about all the good things people will slowly forget about what he did wrong. Mentally for him it also probably helps. Is it logical? No. But psychologically? Yeah, of course.

15. wallangong

wallangong - Lakers 6th Man -

at the beginning of the offseason we first saw pictures of Julius and Clarkson working out. people were asking what about DA? Russell then starts sharing his workout and now people are saying he should keep his mouth shut. this is about as nitpicky as it gets. is he immature? yes, but coming off the drama last season he knows people are going to be judging him at every opportunity. i don't think he's sharing his workout details to get a pat on the back, but rather to assure Lakers nation that he is putting in the work. we've seen plenty of Lakers share workout photos and videos in the last few years and we've always applauded them. i'm actually quite disappointed that we're even having this debate. we have to wait almost 5 months before his game can do the talking. cut the kid a little slack for just letting Lakers fans know that he's working on his game.

16. therealdeal

Could be. I mean besides a few of us rolling our eyes a bit, it does nothing to really hurt his image. Not only do kids in his age group post photos like this all the time, but Nike PR probably coached him up on it a bit.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  17. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

Bottom line is that Russell has exhibited strong signs of Adult ADHD and Impulsivity (lack of focus, being socially inappropriate, acting without much consideration to the consequences, etc) throughout the season. It's blatantly obvious and I don't think it can be written off as immaturity.

It is a legitimate concern, just like how Julius' jumpshot and right-hand limitation is a concern. I'm not hating on the kid, and I genuinely hope he can snap out of it asap, but I'm not going to dismiss it and act like it's not an issue.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  18. therealdeal

[​IMG]

LTLakerFan likes this.
  19. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

The Lakers shouldn't have posted this, comes across as arrogant, bragging almost. I mean, you're putting in work, we get it, that's what you get paid for, you don't get a cookie too.

20. therealdeal

:Shaqwink:

sirronstuff likes this.