D'Angelo Russell Discussion: Adopting A Professional Attitude

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by The Original 81, Jun 25, 2015.

1. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

kb, realdeal, and sirron are all on point here. i think one of the attributes that people liked most about russell leading up to the draft last year was his outspoken confidence, but i didn't like it. it felt a little forced and not fully grounded in empirical reality. as sirron said, i think part of this is just that russell epitomizes his generation (and that he's quite young).

i think randle manages to come off supremely (and perhaps also irrationally) confident without it feeling sort of forced.

anyway, i'm willing to chalk it up to youth, but i hope he talks less and produces more as time goes on.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
    JSM, KB24, tada and 6 others like this.
  2. fabfourlakers

fabfourlakers - Lakers Starter -

Meh. I agree with @KB24. It's pretty annoying to see Russell posting about how hard he's working. I hate when people generally do this about anything in life (school, job, girls, money, working out, etc)...and Russell is pretty whack when it comes to that. It's one of the many reasons I'm OK with us trading him this summer (for George, Butler or Cousins obivously)....well that and the snitch thing.

KB24 likes this.
  3. Lakers2015

Lakers2015 - Lakers Starter -

That makes no sense. We should trade him because he said he was working hard. LOL if we did that we'd get clowned like there was no tomorrow and rightfully so. Trading what most agree is our future for saying he's working hard makes zero sense.

Kenzo, alam1108, Helljumper and 2 others like this.
  4. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Kobe talked about how hard he worked every interview. I have no problem with it, as long as you're actually putting in the work.

KB24 and Lakerman JSJ like this.
  5. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i think there could be a generation gap here. would kobe have tweeted his workout sessions if we were knee-deep in social media in 1997? i don't know. i think not, but i'm old like kobe. i do know that not all young players do this sort of thing, and i prefer not doing it. keep quiet, show up and smash people. you won't need to document the work; it will show in the product. and it will be sweeter.

KB24, sirronstuff and therealdeal like this.
  6. CaCHooKa Man

CaCHooKa Man Administrator: Media Staff Member

I'm 29 and I have no issues with what D'Angelo has said. He was asked about his training and he gave an answer. Jordan Clarkson posts infinitely more on social media about his workouts than D'Angelo does. There was one Snapchat story the other day that had like 15 clips of him working out.

Chillbongo and Weezy like this.
  7. Lakers2015

Lakers2015 - Lakers Starter -

I really don't see why this is a big deal, but this is D'Angelo were talking about and things he has said all year in his rookie season have been blown out of proportion. I mean he tweeted about going to the gym. Do you have any idea how many people especially his age do the same thing? Who cares? It has no impact whatsoever. Guess he should just never talk again. Oh hey D'Angelo congrats on your first MVP. What was the key? Ugh sorry can't discuss it. Your first title. What was the key? Ugh can't comment. Your first back to back MVP and championship? Sorry can't comment or I'll be labeled as something other than I am.

Helljumper likes this.
  8. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

That's not at all what most of us have been saying.

sirronstuff likes this.
  9. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    I will have to think about why, but what Jordan Clarkson has posted doesn't bother me a bit. What Larry Nance and Anthony Brown post -- it doesn't bother me a bit.

Something about the way DeAngelo Russell is posting is being noticed in the same way by several people, and it's not viewed in the same positive light.

I can't quite put my finger on it, but maybe there's a certain arrogance that we don't see in others? Maybe that helps him become great someday, but maybe in the meantime it's not a super attractive quality.

[​IMG]

KareemtheGreat33 likes this.
  10. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

To be honest, after the Young incident, he should stay the F off social media all together. He's being mocked everywhere (photoshops of him holding a phone in locker rooms, etc) and his habits of tweeting regularly do not help his case.

KB24 and sirronstuff like this.
  11. sirronstuff

I also think it's a bad idea, but I also think it's a bad idea for Byron Scott to be doing interviews talking about being blindsided. He learned from the best lol.

tada likes this.
  12. kobecory8

kobecory8 - Rookie -

I think this back and forth discussion is silly. It's good to see him working out. We all want him to be working out and this provides us some evidence of that, which we would not get in a different era. We would just speculate and wonder what he was working on and if he was working.

If he does all this posting and is the same next year, then go ahead and bash him. If he does all this posting and work, and then is noticeably better than this whole discussion will be pointless and we will all be happy. Let's just wait and see before calling him immature and arrogant for posting what 90% of players post now a days.

KB24 and SamsonMiodek like this.
  13. sirronstuff

Not saying it's not true, but a sample video might be in order for this type of claim. I don't recall young Kobe ever bringing it up.

Rehab Kobe the last couple years? Sure, but he was asked about it all the time.

tada likes this.
  14. sirronstuff

He was arrogant and immature before posting his workouts, but hopefully he'll grow out of that.

tada likes this.
  15. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

90% of other players don't have a recent history and reputation of being a snitch. His tweets will inevitably be blown out of proportion, and if he isn't more conscious of his image, he will be considered arrogant and immature.

16. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    Maybe that says more about the "several people" (a few members on a small online forum), and their bias against Russell and social media in general, than it does about D'angelo. Nobody else is making a big deal out of this anywhere. If I brought up this talking point in a conversation with friends at a party, and then showed them the pics/videos from the previous pages as evidence to why D'angelo is an immature/arrogant kid who needs to GTFO social media, they'd think I was crazy.

17. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    Due to his immaturity DAR comes off like an airhead. Scott said he's like 14 instead of 19, which makes me nervous then and now that Luke is coach. Can Walton get through to him? That's why I want Conley after we got the 2nd pick. We really need the leadership in the backcourt if we want to make some noise next season.

tada likes this.
  18. Kou

Kou - Lakers 6th Man -

Think this is being blown out of proportion.

RasAlgethi likes this.
  19. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

I'll just add this. Who here thought it was OK for him to say in that piece on him in China the other day, referring to the Nick Young incident along with everything else (Boron last year) that he was glad it all happened? (So that now he's stronger for having gone through it). Very Dwight like of him to give the "appearance" of looking at that terrible situation only in how it impacted himself. I love the kid but he really as others have said should have kept a lower profile especially about THAT.

gcclaker, sirronstuff and tada like this.
  20. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

Now that you mention it, you're right, it's messed up. That's precisely why someone close to him should tell him to shut the F up, at least until the dust settles.

LTLakerFan likes this.