D'Angelo Russell Discussion: Adopting A Professional Attitude

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by The Original 81, Jun 25, 2015.

1. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

He's only 19, he'll figure out to take the earrings out when you're on the floor. It doesn't happen all the time, but when it DOES happen... you'll turn into Evander Holyfield real quick!

Glad to see he's at the gym though working out already. Let's get Black, Randle, Clarkson, and Brown in there right away. Get those guys tearing things up on the floor. Oh and someone invite Ryan Kelly too I guess.

KareemtheGreat33 likes this.
  2. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    Best thing about DAR is, we don't have to overpay point guards. No arguments this summer about Dragic and Rondo and their bloated contracts.

TIME, Kenzo and lakerjones like this.
  3. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

Yep...we drafted Mike McGee. :rolleyes:

On topic...we got the conductor, let's see if FO can build the orchestra.

4. southbaylakers72

southbaylakers72 - Rookie -

Article from CBS Sports about D'Angelo Russell being 'available' to trade straight up to Kings. Code: Lamarcus Aldridge - you want to play PF alongside a starting Center? We are willing to make that deal happen for you. This only raises the question (inferred by the author) - if LA says yes to LA - does that mean Lakers lose leverage in any renewed 'boogie' talks? (hence the author's use of the hypothetical story of trading Russell and Randle for boogie and filler to make salaries match).

I suspect its more nonsense as that is far too high a price but made me wonder (uggh) would that move leave lakers room to sign Rondo? Rondo, Kobe, LA, Cousins, for MLE with bench of Clarkson, Sacre, Nance Jr. et al.? Hope not. I like Russell, Randle as young core better than a Dallas Mavs type rebuild.

5. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

Keep the kids! Damn... Bring in a smash mouth center whoever the hell that could be and let's roll!

6. southbaylakers72

southbaylakers72 - Rookie -

Agreed. I think the point here is Lakers are telling Aldridge and his people that he can pick his teammates if he signs with us.

7. DjBelvedere

DjBelvedere - Rookie -

Sorry if it was answered before but ... are we able to fit both a Cousins and Max LMA with our salary cap? Doesn't look like that to me.

8. therealdeal

I think this is very much on the table, more than us fans want to admit. If the Lakers can rebuild immediately by creating a team that they think is capable of competing tomorrow... They will do it. A team that has Aldridge and Cousins on it is likely going to be competitive out West. That's maybe the best Center and maybe the best Power Forward in the league on the same team? Yeah that's not bad at all.

I just don't know if I'm the Lakers if I'm comfortable making that move. There's countless issues with it: 1. You lose fan perception which they FINALLY recovered 2. You lose any future building you'd just put together 3. If that team doesn't win it all at least once you gave up great young talents for nothing 4. Cousins is a terrific talent, but is he someone who can carry a winning team? I don't know and I'm not sure that players around the league view him that way.

More than anything, I think you're right that the Lakers are just making sure FAs know we're willing to play ball. If there's a demand that they have that we do this or that, we're willing to entertain the idea. As much as we love Jordan Clarkson or Julius Randle, if we save them at the cost of putting together a Championship caliber squad we're fools. That's something loser franchises do. The key is identifying whether or not Aldridge/Cousins is more capable of winning Championships than Clarkson/Russell/Randle.

I'm not sure. We'll see what happens. It's unlikely we'd make a move for Cousins anyway. Even when it was a hot topic, the idea of the Kings giving us their best player just doesn't seem likely.

lakerjones likes this.
  9. Lakerman JSJ

Lakerman JSJ Moderator Staff Member

I'm just a sucker for an elite PG, and the Lakers haven't had one if FOR. E. VER.

Russell looks an awful lot like a bigger left-handed Chris Paul to me. Please don't let the kid go for a knucklehead like Boogie.

10. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Considering what would have to be given up to make it work plus the young guys of ours they demand.....F*** NO!! For all the same reasons as before with his issues. But to do it, gutting our young nucleus, to appease L.A......are you freaking crazy Lakers F.O.??? You had "that" GUY and didn't draft him, knowing Aldridge hates playing center and it was going to be an issue with him wanting to finally play with a really good BIG.

11. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

'That' guy they wanted was Towns. Towns/LMA would have been considered a homerun for the front office. Although, I think they are really excited about Russell...

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  12. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    Why are you people even believing these reports? We are not the Cavs.

ElginTheGreat and lakerjones like this.
  13. LaVarBallsDad

14. LTLakerFan

Top Poster Of Month

Aldridge and Okafor then maybe just a walk off bases loaded triple if they want Adridge that badly. My god we could have made do with the guards we had and found more in F.A. or drafted another. Then again I tend to agree with Kareem above that this is all B.S. noise.

15. LaVarBallsDad

Aldridge and Okafor wouldn't have fit offensively, IMO. Actually, I don't think Aldridge/Cousins is ideally offensively; both guys take and 'sometimes' rely on their mid-range shot a little too much. Aldridge has the better mid-range jumper, but there are times when it's going not going to be going down on particular nights. Think Gasol; he had to hit his mid-range shot for him or Howard to work; Cousins/Aldridge Okafor/Aldridge presents a little too much redundancy, IMO.

Towns ability to spread the court with his outside shooting would have helped tremendously. It gives you more options and spreads the floor giving Cousins, Aldridge, Randle, the block without any congestion to go to work. Of course opinions vary; I think if we lock in on Aldridge it negates the chances of going after Cousins. Cousins can play the 5; although, he's not a rim-protecting big, can tend to clog up the paint, and as I mentioned settle on too many mid-range jumpers. Look no further than Alcinodor's chart he posted with the analytics...

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  16. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

I think the Cousins thing is beyond dead. And I was opposed to trading our number two assuming it was Okafor because I was ready to roll with the youth program of Clarkson, Randle, Okafor as a core for building. However . . . if we are able to get LMA, and if there was any chance of getting Cousins here (I don't think there is at this point), I would pull the trigger on that trade, kind of in a heartbeat actually.

I love Randle, but if you could pair up LMA with Cousins, while keeping Clarkson and Kobe? Oh my. That has the potential to be a monstrous team. Of course you have to find some vets to fill out the roster. But the two headed monster of Cousins and LMA could be really scary.

17. LTLakerFan

Top Poster Of Month

Sorry have been gone awhile....back to priorities. ROFY?? Down low banging old school is who Jahlil WAS for us. How much did we see and read. He's eminently skilled and LOVES playing there. It excited him, you could see the chest pounding and screaming. Aldridge doesn't want all of that. Problem solved.

Towns spacing the floor for Aldridge for what.... to be down low where he doesn't want to be??? Seems to me slam dunk for Okafor being the better fit for what Aldridge wants to be these next 4 years. Not to mention with Upshaw also in their sights.

LaVarBallsDad likes this.
  18. LTLakerFan

Top Poster Of Month

Truth be told our guard situation with health I was really looking forward to this year, with certainly some considerable improvement coming. Without Russell. I'm with Lakerjones on this. Dumb to not take Okafor if you're in mad love with the idea of signing Aldridge. We were not sucking at guard with a number of decent guys fighting for the bench mob positions.

lakerjones likes this.
  19. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

No on Cousins, period.

20. therealdeal