D'Angelo Russell Discussion: Adopting A Professional Attitude

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by The Original 81, Jun 25, 2015.

1. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

What's embarrassing is that one time Boozer, Hill and Young celebrated breaking a 10 game lose streak like they just won the championship.

This rookie just scored 39 points and made two huge 3's down the stretch. Let the kid celebrate a little. Sure he's a little cocky but he also has that swagger to be an Allstar and the leader of the team one day. All these old guys bashing him for celebrating? What do you want him to do, act like a robot out there with no emotion.

therealdeal and Weezy like this.
  2. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    Google it.

3. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

...just did. Oh my! Hilarious. Rambis had a lapse in common sense and got caught.

On topic: Russell is gaining confidence, grow into his physique and catch up to the speed of the game. He'll be more than alright. As far as his playfulness trait, he'll grow out of it. People seem to miss the fact he is so young.

4. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    I think he's going to fill out nicely. Thick. Hard. He'll be a matchup nightmare with his range and post ability.

therealdeal and gcclaker like this.
  5. gcclaker

Russell's passing and court vision is what impresses me more. It is an intangible that is hard to gauge. Scott mentioning Russell in the same breath as Paul and Irving though the kid has shown enough flashes that he is a better set-up man than either one.

therealdeal and trodgers like this.
  6. D-Fish Man

D-Fish Man - Lakers 6th Man -

I love Russell's swagger if for no other reason it tells me Byron hasn't fully ruined him yet, and next year's coach (see: NOT Byron) will still have something to work with.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  7. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

lakersyunowin likes this.
  8. LTLakerFan

Top Poster Of Month

9. gcclaker

Funny that you mentioned that when Jordan is on record encouraging Curry and his crew to better the record wins the Bulls set at 72. 24 has also taken time to help the current crop of stars as far as advice and being better pros.

10. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

I know I'm late, but wtf is mychal Thompson talking about? so, if you've only won 11 games, you're NOT supposed to be excited about winning a 12th? what is the proper behavior? stiff upper lip?

what a weird criticism. honestly, I'm just sort of befuddled.

I understand the national press trying to sweep this under the rug or throw shade at it--it's got to be terrifying to think the lakers might have another superstar in the fold. but to have folks affiliated with the team find reasons not to be excited about the game last night...just...go away.

JSM, ElginTheGreat, Kenzo and 7 others like this.
  11. LTLakerFan

Top Poster Of Month

What in the hell does he have to be hard nosed all business about? They had all chance at a positive, competitive puncher's chance at the playoffs ruined by the head coach in the 1st 3 weeks. And then Scott the a-hole made it a tri-fecta by proceeding to largely crap all over Russell and Randle's rookie seasons. Thank god DAR still loves the game and has found joy in any way he can. Let's not forget only a month or so ago we could all tell by Russell's comments that Byron was getting to him with his his complete lack of communication and sniping in the media constantly about the "young"guys.

12. gcclaker

Johnson was an exuberant rookie who transformed those 1980's teams into a rollicking bunch. He was never faulted for it.

13. Alcindor

Alcindor - Lakers Starter -

If I scored 39 as a rook I'd do a full-on Riverdance with backup dancers. Screw the entire Showtime crew. Interesting, their lack of support when you consider 2 of their biggest stars, SCOTT AND WORTHY, HAVE NEVER SCORED 39 POINTS IN AN NBA GAME.

Maybe it is a big deal. Maybe it is ok to celebrate after doing something monumental AND you win the game.

On second thought, maybe pass on Riverdance, a bunch of Irish green costumes @ a Laker game may not be the best idea. I'd just bring out MC Hammer and crew for a little "Can't touch this" then.

14. RasAlgethi

RasAlgethi Moderator Staff Member

Yeah this hate on Russ is ridiculous but it's ok. He can just develop the Kobe chip on my shoulder, f the media, us against the world mentality.

Battle Tested20 and therealdeal like this.
  15. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

Yes, and we also must consider that Curry came into the league as a junior out of college. So it's only fair to give DAR two more years to match the same level of production.

therealdeal likes this.
  16. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    BUST

TheGreatOneKobe likes this.
  17. LTLakerFan

Top Poster Of Month

Two more years for fair comparison? Look the hell out!!

tada likes this.
  18. Lakers2015

Lakers2015 - Lakers Starter -

24/6 tonight. Not a bad follow up to a career night.

Four straight games of 20 +.

ElginTheGreat and LTLakerFan like this.
  19. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Yeah if that was Mychal's real thoughts I'm very disappointed in that old man. I understand these guys don't have a lot to celebrate, but this isn't some veteran losers like Lin, Young, and Hill celebrating a win. This was a kid who had the best game of his life and is the cornerstone of the franchise as a rookie. I think the two situations are night and day different and I'm 100% behind D'Angelo celebrating and having a good time out there after such a tremendous performance.

As for tonight's game he looked solid, just really tired. The whole team clearly ran out of gas and came down off an emotional high from the last game.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  20. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

"We get high school and college coaches who come to our practices and think, I'm going to learn so much!" Walton says. Then they hear the music blaring and see the half-court shots flying. They wonder what plays are called, but plays are not called, not usually. "They walk out with their minds blown," Walton laughs. Some get the vibe, some don't. After a volleyball game this summer Walton jumped into the ocean with Chris McGee, a friend who hosts the Lakers' studio shows for TWC. "How hard do you think this season is going to be?" McGee asked. When Walton was with the Lakers, they traditionally struggled after championships, flipping the proverbial switch last April. "With our style," Walton replied, "I don't see that happening." The flow is never a grind.

http://www.si.com/nba/2015/12/17/golden-state-warriors-stephen-curry-luke-walton-steve-kerr

They were like this with Kerr, too, last year, I believe. A coach who allows you to be yourself; what a though. Also, interesting, 'the flow is never a grind,' so that means no suicides at the beginning of training camp. You have to love Scott.

Cookie, abeer3, Kenzo and 3 others like this.